Re: [MedievalSawdust] Capstan Table

  • Steve Vaught
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
      Oh I do not mock you.  Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to work with.  The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough to work with.  I just finished a glastonbury with quarter sawn white oak seat and back supports, ash arms and walnut seat and back boards.

      I could easily crank out a bunch in red oak purchased from home depot, reverse the pattern so the top is wider than the seat and sell them at a reasonable price but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I may contemplate making them in maple.

      Steve
      President
      Lord Grey's Retinue
      www.lordgreys.com

      AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
      A kindred spirit!  Or do you mock me, sirrah?  :-D

      Colin

      Steve Vaught wrote:
      As long as it is not red oak

      Steve

      Bill McNutt <mcnutt@pobox. com> wrote:
      Not the first thing, I’m afraid.  I ran into it on one of the tech blogs I follow.  Any anything made out of solid oak is appropriate for this forum, right?
      Will

    • Avery Austringer
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
        In Medieval Europe they didn't have red oak. (Technically they didn't
        have American white oak either, but what they had looks so much like
        American white oak as to be pretty trivial.)

        Avery

        > It appears that I'm on the outside of an inside joke . . . .

        >> A kindred spirit! Or do you mock me, sirrah? :-D

        >>> As long as it is not red oak

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
          Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.

          One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than white
          oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.

          Colin

          Steve Vaught wrote:
          > Oh I do not mock you. Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to
          > work with. The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough
          > to work with.
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
            You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
            haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
            hardwood spectrum.

            Eirikr
            Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
            wrote:

            > Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.
            >
            > One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than
            white
            > oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.
            >
            > Colin

          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
              I've used ash quite a lot, especially for beds, where the
              stiffness-to-weight ratio really counts. I like it a lot. It carves
              pretty well too. I especially like the heartwood, which often displays
              some interesting color variation, but is hard to find as most people
              want the pure-white stuff (which I find bland). It does take stain
              quite well.

              It can be tricky stuff to plane, though. Grain reversals on the faces
              cause a lot of tearout. Need really sharp tools. (What else is new!)

              Colin

              Eric wrote:
              > You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
              > haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
              > hardwood spectrum.

            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                I've made all my crossbow stocks from white ash.  It is as hard as oak but rots and stain if it is put on wet ground.

                James Cunningham
              • gunwaldt
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
                  Colin wrote:
                  > Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes,
                  > it isn't funny when you explain it.

                  But the explaination lets us unworthy rabble feel a little more
                  included. Thank you for taking the time.

                  Gunwaldt