Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Capstan Table

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
       Thank yew

      -----Original Message-----
      From: kjworz@...
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com; medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:04 AM
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Capstan Table

      I THINK the reference is to....

      The paradigm sticklers have argued that the most feely available hardwood
      available in North America, Red Oak, has no real European conterpart, so using
      it in period furniture in insufficiently authentic.  North American White Oak is
      much closer to European counterparts as to be nigh indistinguishable and thus
      preferable.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

    • Steve Vaught
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
        Oh I do not mock you.  Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to work with.  The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough to work with.  I just finished a glastonbury with quarter sawn white oak seat and back supports, ash arms and walnut seat and back boards.

        I could easily crank out a bunch in red oak purchased from home depot, reverse the pattern so the top is wider than the seat and sell them at a reasonable price but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I may contemplate making them in maple.

        Steve
        President
        Lord Grey's Retinue
        www.lordgreys.com

        AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
        A kindred spirit!  Or do you mock me, sirrah?  :-D

        Colin

        Steve Vaught wrote:
        As long as it is not red oak

        Steve

        Bill McNutt <mcnutt@pobox. com> wrote:
        Not the first thing, I’m afraid.  I ran into it on one of the tech blogs I follow.  Any anything made out of solid oak is appropriate for this forum, right?
        Will

      • Avery Austringer
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
          In Medieval Europe they didn't have red oak. (Technically they didn't
          have American white oak either, but what they had looks so much like
          American white oak as to be pretty trivial.)

          Avery

          > It appears that I'm on the outside of an inside joke . . . .

          >> A kindred spirit! Or do you mock me, sirrah? :-D

          >>> As long as it is not red oak

        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
            Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.

            One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than white
            oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.

            Colin

            Steve Vaught wrote:
            > Oh I do not mock you. Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to
            > work with. The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough
            > to work with.
          • Eric
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
              You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
              haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
              hardwood spectrum.

              Eirikr
              Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
              wrote:

              > Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.
              >
              > One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than
              white
              > oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.
              >
              > Colin

            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                I've used ash quite a lot, especially for beds, where the
                stiffness-to-weight ratio really counts. I like it a lot. It carves
                pretty well too. I especially like the heartwood, which often displays
                some interesting color variation, but is hard to find as most people
                want the pure-white stuff (which I find bland). It does take stain
                quite well.

                It can be tricky stuff to plane, though. Grain reversals on the faces
                cause a lot of tearout. Need really sharp tools. (What else is new!)

                Colin

                Eric wrote:
                > You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
                > haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
                > hardwood spectrum.

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                  I've made all my crossbow stocks from white ash.  It is as hard as oak but rots and stain if it is put on wet ground.

                  James Cunningham
                • gunwaldt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
                    Colin wrote:
                    > Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes,
                    > it isn't funny when you explain it.

                    But the explaination lets us unworthy rabble feel a little more
                    included. Thank you for taking the time.

                    Gunwaldt