RE: [MedievalSawdust] Capstan Table

  • Steve Vaught
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2006
      As long as it is not red oak

      Steve

      Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
      Not the first thing, I’m afraid.  I ran into it on one of the tech blogs I follow.  Any anything made out of solid oak is appropriate for this forum, right?
      Will

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2006
        A kindred spirit!  Or do you mock me, sirrah?  :-D

        Colin

        Steve Vaught wrote:
        As long as it is not red oak

        Steve

      • JBRMM266@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
          It appears that I'm on the outside of an inside joke  . . . .

          A kindred spirit!  Or do you mock me, sirrah?  :-D

          Colin

          Steve Vaught wrote:
          As long as it is not red oak

          Steve

          Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
          Not the first thing, I’m afraid.  I ran into it on one of the tech blogs I follow.  Any anything made out of solid oak is appropriate for this forum, right?
          Will

        • gunwaldt
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
            > Steve Vaught wrote:
            > As long as it is not red oak

            > It appears that I'm on the outside of an inside joke . . . .

            I'm standing there with ya, scratchin' me head.

            Gunwaldt
          • kjworz@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
              I THINK the reference is to....

              The paradigm sticklers have argued that the most feely available hardwood available in North America, Red Oak, has no real European conterpart, so using it in period furniture in insufficiently authentic. North American White Oak is much closer to European counterparts as to be nigh indistinguishable and thus preferable.

              The counter argument is that it is a relatively inexpensive decent hardwood, available at Home Depot if your are desperate, and mind your own business Period Fascist!.... Oh, wait, you are an A&S judge? Apologies, M'Lord, and might I add you look very handsome in that hat. Cow Horns on a helmet is so stylish and suave. Of COURSE I used the term 'Fascist' in the warmest and most cuddly way. Can I fetch you an Ale?

              I am lukewarm to both sides and always figured a medieval craftsman used the locally available wood whose properties best matched his requirements and pocketbook. Red Oak doesn't offend me, but the same project in White Oak impresses me. The same project in a English Brown Oak, taken from salvage barn beams that are 400 years old or older REALLY impresses me, but how often is that the tie-breaker, all other things being equal?

              --
              -Chris Schwartz
              Silver Spring, MD

              From: "gunwaldt" <gunwaldt@...>
              > > Steve Vaught wrote:
              > > As long as it is not red oak
              >
              > > It appears that I'm on the outside of an inside joke . . . .
              >
              > I'm standing there with ya, scratchin' me head.
              >
              > Gunwaldt

            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
                Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes, it isn't funny when you
                explain it.

                My personal objection to RO isn't so much that it's less authentic (a
                weak argument) as that it isn't a good choice for most projects. The
                working properties of RO are more like Douglas Fir than anything else:
                it is coarse-grained and splintery, difficult to carve well, doesn't
                take details, moves a lot in service (more than WO), etc. Its only
                redeeming features on my view are wide availability and price. With a
                little more effort and not much more money, you can get White Oak which,
                to my eye, is a lot prettier and a lot better to work with. (Still
                tough to carve, though. After this throne project is done, I hope I
                never have to chisel kiln-dried WO again.) If you are going to the
                trouble to make something nice enough to merit a hardwood, why settle
                for the crappiest hardwood on the rack?

                There. See how funny that is?
                8-)

                Colin

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
                   Thank yew

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 12, 2006
                    Oh I do not mock you.  Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to work with.  The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough to work with.  I just finished a glastonbury with quarter sawn white oak seat and back supports, ash arms and walnut seat and back boards.

                    I could easily crank out a bunch in red oak purchased from home depot, reverse the pattern so the top is wider than the seat and sell them at a reasonable price but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I may contemplate making them in maple.

                    Steve
                    President
                    Lord Grey's Retinue
                    www.lordgreys.com

                    AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
                    A kindred spirit!  Or do you mock me, sirrah?  :-D

                    Colin

                    Steve Vaught wrote:
                    As long as it is not red oak

                    Steve

                    Bill McNutt <mcnutt@pobox. com> wrote:
                    Not the first thing, I’m afraid.  I ran into it on one of the tech blogs I follow.  Any anything made out of solid oak is appropriate for this forum, right?
                    Will

                  • Avery Austringer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                      In Medieval Europe they didn't have red oak. (Technically they didn't
                      have American white oak either, but what they had looks so much like
                      American white oak as to be pretty trivial.)

                      Avery

                      > It appears that I'm on the outside of an inside joke . . . .

                      >> A kindred spirit! Or do you mock me, sirrah? :-D

                      >>> As long as it is not red oak

                    • AlbionWood
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                        Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.

                        One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than white
                        oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.

                        Colin

                        Steve Vaught wrote:
                        > Oh I do not mock you. Red Oak for one isn't period, and is a pain to
                        > work with. The open grain structure makes it hard to finish and rough
                        > to work with.
                      • Eric
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                          You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
                          haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
                          hardwood spectrum.

                          Eirikr
                          Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Definitely a kindred spirit, I see.
                          >
                          > One of my goals for next year is to work with something other than
                          white
                          > oak for a change. I'm thinking Birch might be nice.
                          >
                          > Colin

                        • AlbionWood
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                            I've used ash quite a lot, especially for beds, where the
                            stiffness-to-weight ratio really counts. I like it a lot. It carves
                            pretty well too. I especially like the heartwood, which often displays
                            some interesting color variation, but is hard to find as most people
                            want the pure-white stuff (which I find bland). It does take stain
                            quite well.

                            It can be tricky stuff to plane, though. Grain reversals on the faces
                            cause a lot of tearout. Need really sharp tools. (What else is new!)

                            Colin

                            Eric wrote:
                            > You might want to try Ash too. Nice stuff to work with, though I
                            > haven't tried carving it yet, and it's at the lighter end of the
                            > hardwood spectrum.

                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 13, 2006
                              I've made all my crossbow stocks from white ash.  It is as hard as oak but rots and stain if it is put on wet ground.

                              James Cunningham
                            • gunwaldt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 18, 2006
                                Colin wrote:
                                > Yes, it's an inside joke. And, like all jokes,
                                > it isn't funny when you explain it.

                                But the explaination lets us unworthy rabble feel a little more
                                included. Thank you for taking the time.

                                Gunwaldt