Looking for Refurbished/Rustic Wood Planks

  • Big T
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
      Does anyone live in the North Texas/Dallas area that knows where I
      could find thick planks that look weathered? I'm making a medieval-
      style table, but I've never done this before and I'm having trouble
      finding refurbished wood for the table top.

      The stuff I need:

      (4) 8-9"w x 2-3" thick Planks. Oak or solid pine preferably. At
      least 62" in length. I sort of want them to look like this table top
      from Arteso: http://www.arteso.com/photos/tabl01.JPG. The wood
      used in the picture are 9" solid pine thick planks. So thats what
      I'm going for, in that exact color.

      The table I am making needs a 36 1/2" x 62-76" top.

      Any help would be great!!!

      Thanks,

      Tara
      cowgirlblue09@...
    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
        my best place for old wood, goodwill or salvation army. old beat up
        furniture. strip the polish and stain, resand or scrape, and good to
        go.

        (found a birds eye maple dresser once, 15 dollars becuase the drawyer
        was cracked)

        --
        That which yields isn't always weak.
      • David Stous
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2006
          Not sure about Texas, but in Northeast Kansas and Vermont, a great source for old wood is collapsed barns.  Usually nice wide planking, well weathered, and depending on age and wood itself, can still be in good condition for furniture making.  (My mother uses to make chairs and such things out of barn board when I was growing up)

          Dafydd of Verulanium
          mka

          ========
          David Stous