Roman chair

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
      I found the chair in the Roman tablet from Trier (Germany) very interesting:
      http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/toiletteneum.shtml

      Has anyone seen any other information for this woven (wicker) chair type?

      Beth
    • Bruce S. R. Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
        Chinnery has a brief discussion of later wicker furniture in his
        'English Oak' book. There are also some wicker pieces in 'Before the
        Mast' (Mary Rose Trust) including one piece that - I - think is a
        bed basket but the experts seem unable to decide on.

        I have also seen 'somewhere' some Greek bas-relief carvings of
        wicker chairs - one I think also has a ceramic combination child
        chair/potty device.

        Come to think of it, all the 'classical' (Greek & Roman) reference
        material I can think of is associated with women

        regards
        Brusi of Orkney
        Rowany/Lochac
        Sydney/Australia

        At 02:16 AM 23/11/2006, you wrote:

        >I found the chair in the Roman tablet from Trier (Germany) very interesting:
        ><http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/toiletteneum.shtml>http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/toiletteneum.shtml
        >
        >Has anyone seen any other information for this woven (wicker) chair type?
        >
        >Beth
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
          Thanks. Have you seen anything putting these into the SCA timeframe? Plenty
          of wattle in construction and even a wicker backpack from Oseberg, but I
          haven't heard any rumors of furniture in the archeology..

          Beth

        • awench1@cox.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2006
            This looks very much like a chair my sister had in her beach house!

            Barb
            ---- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

            =============
            I found the chair in the Roman tablet from Trier (Germany) very interesting:
            http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/toiletteneum.shtml

            Has anyone seen any other information for this woven (wicker) chair type?

            Beth
          • mahee of acre
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2006
              I have seen in several illuminations starting around 1100 numerous
              chairs that were woven chairs.

              your servant,
              mahee

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
              <bmatney@...> wrote:

              > I found the chair in the Roman tablet from Trier (Germany) very
              interesting:
              > http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibition/toiletteneum.shtml
              >
              > Has anyone seen any other information for this woven (wicker) chair
              type?

              > Beth

            • Beth and Bob Matney
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2006