RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Recent project....

  • Chuck Phillips
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

      Bear;

      The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

      Charles Joiner

      Having a bowl phase in Caid