RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Recent project....

  • Barekr Silfri
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

       yeah my bowl gouge is kinda rounded along the bottom, my roughing gouge makes a more U-shape chisel and I used the top corner of the U. my scraper did awesome on the end grain i.e. the bottom of the cups, but when I tried to shave the sides smooth it shredded the sides rather than carving it away. Before you ask I did sharpen the scraper a few times as I thought that was my problem but it didn't change the outcome.

      Bear_._,___

    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

        Bear;

        The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

        Charles Joiner

        Having a bowl phase in Caid