Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
      oooo, nice. i very much like.

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
        Bear, that's odd I wonder why the splintering happened, I can't say
        I've seen it on an end-grain hollowing. Unless it was right along the
        glue line (???)

        It sounds like you used the roughing gouge in a shearing cut. If your
        bowl gouge is ground in an Irish/Finger-nail gring you should be able
        to make a similar cut with your bowl gouge.

        Of course your scraper should have worked as a shear cut, and left a
        nice finish. As opposed to needing the 80 grit "gouge" (is sand-paper)

        TTFN
        Ralg
        AnTir
      • Barekr Silfri
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

           yeah my bowl gouge is kinda rounded along the bottom, my roughing gouge makes a more U-shape chisel and I used the top corner of the U. my scraper did awesome on the end grain i.e. the bottom of the cups, but when I tried to shave the sides smooth it shredded the sides rather than carving it away. Before you ask I did sharpen the scraper a few times as I thought that was my problem but it didn't change the outcome.

          Bear_._,___

        • Chuck Phillips
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

            Bear;

            The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

            Charles Joiner

            Having a bowl phase in Caid