Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....

  • M Descoteau
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
      Love them!!. :-)

      --- Barekr Silfri <Barekr@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you
      got the whole address

      http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

      there see if that works....

      ---------------------------------
      From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
      To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....
      Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

      I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed
      up on the Dropshots page. I copied and pasted the
      link below.

      Barbara

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
        Thanks a bunch, it worked this time.  I thought I had copied both lines of the url.

        Barb
        just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

        http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?userid= 149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

        there see if that works....

        .

      • Ken Cockrell
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
          Very Nice
          Crispin

          From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@cox. net>
          To: <medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com>
          Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

          I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

          Barbara

          Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
          http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?
          userid=149213& cdate=20061104& ctime=141436

          these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
          because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
          screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
          in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.

          after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

          *Grunt* make sawdust, good!

          Bear

        • Elizabeth Brakhage
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
            Good luck.  We are in a similar situation with house hunting.  I hope it goes smoothly.

            Sara Sophia
            Kingdom of Calontir
            Barony of Mag Mor

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "barekrsilfri" <Barekr@...> wrote:

              > Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
              > http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?
              > userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436
              >
              > these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
              > because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
              > screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
              > in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.
              >
              > after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

              Nice effect. From your comment I take it you are not (yet) making
              your own segment blanks. Was this a shop that regularly does
              build-ups? Or someone that is really not familiar with the problems.
              What did you to do the hollowing... that's a deep reach there.

              I spent much of this summers over-time income getting the sanders I
              need to do it build my own segmented blanks.. just haven't had the
              time to start.
              I'm in a heavy turning phase; I have four Alder bowl blanks roughed,
              two (of three) cherry bowl blanks roughed, and one (of six) maple
              blanks roughed. With some splated/figured maple ready for three
              goblets ready.

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Barekr Silfri
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006

                The Blanks were glued up at a local wood retailer who deals in mostly hardwoods and he normally does really good work and has custom jobs from some of the local car companies. He has hired a guy in the last year who he has do most of the tedious stuff. Let it be said I don't think he's all that bright when it comes to doing stuff like this since the owner who I paid to do the glue up told him the first time it was for turning blanks. He then proceeded to squiggle a line of carpenters glue along the board and then clamped them together. The second time I was assured that he spread the glue but I still found some separation between the maple and cherry.

                I actually have to go down there tomorrow and buy some hardwood dowelling for another project. I intend on being civil but at the same time let him know he has lost any glue up jobs I may have sent his way.

                As to the question of getting down unto the cups, I use a long bowl gouge and a small diameter roughing gouge. I'd take a pick but my workshop is about 40 minutes away and I've already made my weekly trip. Man I need to scratch some cash together to buy a house (read I hate living in this trailer) My tools are all at a friends place.

                well I think I've rambled long enough...

                Bear

              • Ralph Lindberg
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                  Bear...

                  Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                  roughing gouge.

                  They are not made for the forces you would get in a catch. The small
                  diameter metal shank (back at the handle) would snap and you probably
                  would get hurt.

                  If you have a shallow wallet (and which of us don't), you could get a
                  bowl chisel set from Benjamin's Best (Penn State Industries and Long
                  Island woodworking for two sources). Two bowl gouges and two scrapers
                  are $70. IE, about the cost of a quality gouge.
                  http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcbt4.html

                  Of course, roughing the goblet, between centers, is what a roughing
                  gouge is made for

                  TTFN
                  Ralg
                  AnTir
                • Barekr Silfri
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                    Bear...

                    Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                    roughing gouge.

                    no I only used it to clean up the edges inside as my scraper just shredded the inside of the cup and left splinters. I used one corner of the roughing gouge to shave a final skin off the cup. when I did this I had only a few minutes of sanding while the one I did with the scraper I sanded the thing for about 15-20 minutes and still had the splinters coming off.

                  • leaking pen
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                      oooo, nice. i very much like.

                      --
                      That which yields isn't always weak.
                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                        Bear, that's odd I wonder why the splintering happened, I can't say
                        I've seen it on an end-grain hollowing. Unless it was right along the
                        glue line (???)

                        It sounds like you used the roughing gouge in a shearing cut. If your
                        bowl gouge is ground in an Irish/Finger-nail gring you should be able
                        to make a similar cut with your bowl gouge.

                        Of course your scraper should have worked as a shear cut, and left a
                        nice finish. As opposed to needing the 80 grit "gouge" (is sand-paper)

                        TTFN
                        Ralg
                        AnTir
                      • Barekr Silfri
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                           yeah my bowl gouge is kinda rounded along the bottom, my roughing gouge makes a more U-shape chisel and I used the top corner of the U. my scraper did awesome on the end grain i.e. the bottom of the cups, but when I tried to shave the sides smooth it shredded the sides rather than carving it away. Before you ask I did sharpen the scraper a few times as I thought that was my problem but it didn't change the outcome.

                          Bear_._,___

                        • Chuck Phillips
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                            Bear;

                            The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

                            Charles Joiner

                            Having a bowl phase in Caid