Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....

  • Barekr Silfri
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006

      just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

      http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

      there see if that works....

      From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
      To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....
      Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

      I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

      Barbara

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
        My well wishes do go out to you.  I know what it is like to be at the mercy of the weather when it comes to practicing your craft.  My lathe is currently housed on my screened in porch.  So although it is protected from the rain, it still gets mighty chilly out there!

        Barb
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
          Love them!!. :-)

          --- Barekr Silfri <Barekr@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------

[...]

          (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
        • Barbara Dodge
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
            Thanks a bunch, it worked this time.  I thought I had copied both lines of the url.

            Barb
            just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

            http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?userid= 149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

            there see if that works....

            .

          • Ken Cockrell
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
              Very Nice
              Crispin

              From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@cox. net>
              To: <medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com>
              Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

              I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

              Barbara

              Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
              http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?
              userid=149213& cdate=20061104& ctime=141436

              these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
              because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
              screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
              in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.

              after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

              *Grunt* make sawdust, good!

              Bear

            • Elizabeth Brakhage
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
                Good luck.  We are in a similar situation with house hunting.  I hope it goes smoothly.

                Sara Sophia
                Kingdom of Calontir
                Barony of Mag Mor

                Hi all, I know I don't talk much, but I was hoping for
                some good wishes and positive energy from you all,
                I'll be getting info and figures on getting a house
                tomarrow and we are hoping everything goes right, if
                it does, I'll be able to set my wood shop back up,
                insted of just having one or two tools I can take out
                and use only in good weather.

                So any positive energies you can spare and send my way
                would be greatly appreciated.

                Mike De Coteau
                aka Mike of the hill
                AKA mike

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ralph Lindberg
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "barekrsilfri" <Barekr@...> wrote:

                  > Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
                  > http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?
                  > userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436
                  >
                  > these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
                  > because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
                  > screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
                  > in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.
                  >
                  > after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

                  Nice effect. From your comment I take it you are not (yet) making
                  your own segment blanks. Was this a shop that regularly does
                  build-ups? Or someone that is really not familiar with the problems.
                  What did you to do the hollowing... that's a deep reach there.

                  I spent much of this summers over-time income getting the sanders I
                  need to do it build my own segmented blanks.. just haven't had the
                  time to start.
                  I'm in a heavy turning phase; I have four Alder bowl blanks roughed,
                  two (of three) cherry bowl blanks roughed, and one (of six) maple
                  blanks roughed. With some splated/figured maple ready for three
                  goblets ready.

                  TTFN
                  Ralg
                  AnTir
                • Barekr Silfri
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006

                    The Blanks were glued up at a local wood retailer who deals in mostly hardwoods and he normally does really good work and has custom jobs from some of the local car companies. He has hired a guy in the last year who he has do most of the tedious stuff. Let it be said I don't think he's all that bright when it comes to doing stuff like this since the owner who I paid to do the glue up told him the first time it was for turning blanks. He then proceeded to squiggle a line of carpenters glue along the board and then clamped them together. The second time I was assured that he spread the glue but I still found some separation between the maple and cherry.

                    I actually have to go down there tomorrow and buy some hardwood dowelling for another project. I intend on being civil but at the same time let him know he has lost any glue up jobs I may have sent his way.

                    As to the question of getting down unto the cups, I use a long bowl gouge and a small diameter roughing gouge. I'd take a pick but my workshop is about 40 minutes away and I've already made my weekly trip. Man I need to scratch some cash together to buy a house (read I hate living in this trailer) My tools are all at a friends place.

                    well I think I've rambled long enough...

                    Bear

                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                      Bear...

                      Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                      roughing gouge.

                      They are not made for the forces you would get in a catch. The small
                      diameter metal shank (back at the handle) would snap and you probably
                      would get hurt.

                      If you have a shallow wallet (and which of us don't), you could get a
                      bowl chisel set from Benjamin's Best (Penn State Industries and Long
                      Island woodworking for two sources). Two bowl gouges and two scrapers
                      are $70. IE, about the cost of a quality gouge.
                      http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcbt4.html

                      Of course, roughing the goblet, between centers, is what a roughing
                      gouge is made for

                      TTFN
                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • Barekr Silfri
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                        Bear...

                        Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                        roughing gouge.

                        no I only used it to clean up the edges inside as my scraper just shredded the inside of the cup and left splinters. I used one corner of the roughing gouge to shave a final skin off the cup. when I did this I had only a few minutes of sanding while the one I did with the scraper I sanded the thing for about 15-20 minutes and still had the splinters coming off.

                      • leaking pen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                          oooo, nice. i very much like.

                          --
                          That which yields isn't always weak.
                        • Ralph Lindberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                            Bear, that's odd I wonder why the splintering happened, I can't say
                            I've seen it on an end-grain hollowing. Unless it was right along the
                            glue line (???)

                            It sounds like you used the roughing gouge in a shearing cut. If your
                            bowl gouge is ground in an Irish/Finger-nail gring you should be able
                            to make a similar cut with your bowl gouge.

                            Of course your scraper should have worked as a shear cut, and left a
                            nice finish. As opposed to needing the 80 grit "gouge" (is sand-paper)

                            TTFN
                            Ralg
                            AnTir
                          • Barekr Silfri
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                               yeah my bowl gouge is kinda rounded along the bottom, my roughing gouge makes a more U-shape chisel and I used the top corner of the U. my scraper did awesome on the end grain i.e. the bottom of the cups, but when I tried to shave the sides smooth it shredded the sides rather than carving it away. Before you ask I did sharpen the scraper a few times as I thought that was my problem but it didn't change the outcome.

                              Bear_._,___

                            • Chuck Phillips
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                                Bear;

                                The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

                                Charles Joiner

                                Having a bowl phase in Caid