Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....

  • Barbara Dodge
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
      I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

      Barbara

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006

        just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

        http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

        there see if that works....

        From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
        To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....
        Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
          My well wishes do go out to you.  I know what it is like to be at the mercy of the weather when it comes to practicing your craft.  My lathe is currently housed on my screened in porch.  So although it is protected from the rain, it still gets mighty chilly out there!

          Barb
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
            Love them!!. :-)

            --- Barekr Silfri <Barekr@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------

[...]

            (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
          • Barbara Dodge
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
              Thanks a bunch, it worked this time.  I thought I had copied both lines of the url.

              Barb
              just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

              http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?userid= 149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

              there see if that works....

              .

            • Ken Cockrell
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
                Very Nice
                Crispin

                From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@cox. net>
                To: <medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com>
                Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

                I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

                Barbara

                Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
                http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?
                userid=149213& cdate=20061104& ctime=141436

                these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
                because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
                screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
                in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.

                after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

                *Grunt* make sawdust, good!

                Bear

              • Elizabeth Brakhage
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
                  Good luck.  We are in a similar situation with house hunting.  I hope it goes smoothly.

                  Sara Sophia
                  Kingdom of Calontir
                  Barony of Mag Mor

                  Hi all, I know I don't talk much, but I was hoping for
                  some good wishes and positive energy from you all,
                  I'll be getting info and figures on getting a house
                  tomarrow and we are hoping everything goes right, if
                  it does, I'll be able to set my wood shop back up,
                  insted of just having one or two tools I can take out
                  and use only in good weather.

                  So any positive energies you can spare and send my way
                  would be greatly appreciated.

                  Mike De Coteau
                  aka Mike of the hill
                  AKA mike

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "barekrsilfri" <Barekr@...> wrote:

                    > Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
                    > http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?
                    > userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436
                    >
                    > these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
                    > because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
                    > screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
                    > in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.
                    >
                    > after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

                    Nice effect. From your comment I take it you are not (yet) making
                    your own segment blanks. Was this a shop that regularly does
                    build-ups? Or someone that is really not familiar with the problems.
                    What did you to do the hollowing... that's a deep reach there.

                    I spent much of this summers over-time income getting the sanders I
                    need to do it build my own segmented blanks.. just haven't had the
                    time to start.
                    I'm in a heavy turning phase; I have four Alder bowl blanks roughed,
                    two (of three) cherry bowl blanks roughed, and one (of six) maple
                    blanks roughed. With some splated/figured maple ready for three
                    goblets ready.

                    TTFN
                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • Barekr Silfri
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006

                      The Blanks were glued up at a local wood retailer who deals in mostly hardwoods and he normally does really good work and has custom jobs from some of the local car companies. He has hired a guy in the last year who he has do most of the tedious stuff. Let it be said I don't think he's all that bright when it comes to doing stuff like this since the owner who I paid to do the glue up told him the first time it was for turning blanks. He then proceeded to squiggle a line of carpenters glue along the board and then clamped them together. The second time I was assured that he spread the glue but I still found some separation between the maple and cherry.

                      I actually have to go down there tomorrow and buy some hardwood dowelling for another project. I intend on being civil but at the same time let him know he has lost any glue up jobs I may have sent his way.

                      As to the question of getting down unto the cups, I use a long bowl gouge and a small diameter roughing gouge. I'd take a pick but my workshop is about 40 minutes away and I've already made my weekly trip. Man I need to scratch some cash together to buy a house (read I hate living in this trailer) My tools are all at a friends place.

                      well I think I've rambled long enough...

                      Bear

                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                        Bear...

                        Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                        roughing gouge.

                        They are not made for the forces you would get in a catch. The small
                        diameter metal shank (back at the handle) would snap and you probably
                        would get hurt.

                        If you have a shallow wallet (and which of us don't), you could get a
                        bowl chisel set from Benjamin's Best (Penn State Industries and Long
                        Island woodworking for two sources). Two bowl gouges and two scrapers
                        are $70. IE, about the cost of a quality gouge.
                        http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcbt4.html

                        Of course, roughing the goblet, between centers, is what a roughing
                        gouge is made for

                        TTFN
                        Ralg
                        AnTir
                      • Barekr Silfri
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                          Bear...

                          Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                          roughing gouge.

                          no I only used it to clean up the edges inside as my scraper just shredded the inside of the cup and left splinters. I used one corner of the roughing gouge to shave a final skin off the cup. when I did this I had only a few minutes of sanding while the one I did with the scraper I sanded the thing for about 15-20 minutes and still had the splinters coming off.

                        • leaking pen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                            oooo, nice. i very much like.

                            --
                            That which yields isn't always weak.
                          • Ralph Lindberg
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                              Bear, that's odd I wonder why the splintering happened, I can't say
                              I've seen it on an end-grain hollowing. Unless it was right along the
                              glue line (???)

                              It sounds like you used the roughing gouge in a shearing cut. If your
                              bowl gouge is ground in an Irish/Finger-nail gring you should be able
                              to make a similar cut with your bowl gouge.

                              Of course your scraper should have worked as a shear cut, and left a
                              nice finish. As opposed to needing the 80 grit "gouge" (is sand-paper)

                              TTFN
                              Ralg
                              AnTir
                            • Barekr Silfri
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                                 yeah my bowl gouge is kinda rounded along the bottom, my roughing gouge makes a more U-shape chisel and I used the top corner of the U. my scraper did awesome on the end grain i.e. the bottom of the cups, but when I tried to shave the sides smooth it shredded the sides rather than carving it away. Before you ask I did sharpen the scraper a few times as I thought that was my problem but it didn't change the outcome.

                                Bear_._,___

                              • Chuck Phillips
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                                  Bear;

                                  The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

                                  Charles Joiner

                                  Having a bowl phase in Caid