Recent project....

  • barekrsilfri
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
      Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
      http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?
      userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

      these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
      because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
      screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
      in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.

      after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

      *Grunt* make sawdust, good!

      Bear
    • M Descoteau
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
        Hi all, I know I don't talk much, but I was hoping for
        some good wishes and positive energy from you all,
        I'll be getting info and figures on getting a house
        tomarrow and we are hoping everything goes right, if
        it does, I'll be able to set my wood shop back up,
        insted of just having one or two tools I can take out
        and use only in good weather.

        So any positive energies you can spare and send my way
        would be greatly appreciated.

        Mike De Coteau
        aka Mike of the hill
        AKA mike

      • Barbara Dodge
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
          I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

          Barbara

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006

            just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

            http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

            there see if that works....

            From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>
            To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Recent project....
            Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
              My well wishes do go out to you.  I know what it is like to be at the mercy of the weather when it comes to practicing your craft.  My lathe is currently housed on my screened in porch.  So although it is protected from the rain, it still gets mighty chilly out there!

              Barb
              Hi all, I know I don't talk much, but I was hoping for
              some good wishes and positive energy from you all,
              I'll be getting info and figures on getting a house
              tomarrow and we are hoping everything goes right, if
              it does, I'll be able to set my wood shop back up,
              insted of just having one or two tools I can take out
              and use only in good weather.

              So any positive energies you can spare and send my way
              would be greatly appreciated.

              Mike De Coteau
              aka Mike of the hill
              AKA mike

              (http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/)

            • M Descoteau
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
                Love them!!. :-)

                --- Barekr Silfri <Barekr@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------

[...]

                (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
              • Barbara Dodge
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
                  Thanks a bunch, it worked this time.  I thought I had copied both lines of the url.

                  Barb
                  just noticed the url was cut in half, make sure you got the whole address

                  http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?userid= 149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436

                  there see if that works....

                  .

                • Ken Cockrell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5, 2006
                    Very Nice
                    Crispin

                    From: "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@cox. net>
                    To: <medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com>
                    Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:22:41 -0500

                    I tried to check out your project, but nothing showed up on the Dropshots page.  I copied and pasted the link below.

                    Barbara

                    Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
                    http://www.dropshot s.com/day. php?
                    userid=149213& cdate=20061104& ctime=141436

                    these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
                    because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
                    screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
                    in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.

                    after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

                    *Grunt* make sawdust, good!

                    Bear

                  • Elizabeth Brakhage
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
                      Good luck.  We are in a similar situation with house hunting.  I hope it goes smoothly.

                      Sara Sophia
                      Kingdom of Calontir
                      Barony of Mag Mor

                      Hi all, I know I don't talk much, but I was hoping for
                      some good wishes and positive energy from you all,
                      I'll be getting info and figures on getting a house
                      tomarrow and we are hoping everything goes right, if
                      it does, I'll be able to set my wood shop back up,
                      insted of just having one or two tools I can take out
                      and use only in good weather.

                      So any positive energies you can spare and send my way
                      would be greatly appreciated.

                      Mike De Coteau
                      aka Mike of the hill
                      AKA mike

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "barekrsilfri" <Barekr@...> wrote:

                        > Just finished the cups I was working on check them out here:
                        > http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?
                        > userid=149213&cdate=20061104&ctime=141436
                        >
                        > these were a commission job, I had a hell of a time turning them
                        > because the place I used to laminate the maple and cherry together
                        > screwed it up and the peices weren't all glued. I had some seperation
                        > in the laminations. I actually had to turn 6 mugs to get 3.
                        >
                        > after I turned them on my lathe I hand carved the names and knotwork

                        Nice effect. From your comment I take it you are not (yet) making
                        your own segment blanks. Was this a shop that regularly does
                        build-ups? Or someone that is really not familiar with the problems.
                        What did you to do the hollowing... that's a deep reach there.

                        I spent much of this summers over-time income getting the sanders I
                        need to do it build my own segmented blanks.. just haven't had the
                        time to start.
                        I'm in a heavy turning phase; I have four Alder bowl blanks roughed,
                        two (of three) cherry bowl blanks roughed, and one (of six) maple
                        blanks roughed. With some splated/figured maple ready for three
                        goblets ready.

                        TTFN
                        Ralg
                        AnTir
                      • Barekr Silfri
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6, 2006

                          The Blanks were glued up at a local wood retailer who deals in mostly hardwoods and he normally does really good work and has custom jobs from some of the local car companies. He has hired a guy in the last year who he has do most of the tedious stuff. Let it be said I don't think he's all that bright when it comes to doing stuff like this since the owner who I paid to do the glue up told him the first time it was for turning blanks. He then proceeded to squiggle a line of carpenters glue along the board and then clamped them together. The second time I was assured that he spread the glue but I still found some separation between the maple and cherry.

                          I actually have to go down there tomorrow and buy some hardwood dowelling for another project. I intend on being civil but at the same time let him know he has lost any glue up jobs I may have sent his way.

                          As to the question of getting down unto the cups, I use a long bowl gouge and a small diameter roughing gouge. I'd take a pick but my workshop is about 40 minutes away and I've already made my weekly trip. Man I need to scratch some cash together to buy a house (read I hate living in this trailer) My tools are all at a friends place.

                          well I think I've rambled long enough...

                          Bear

                        • Ralph Lindberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                            Bear...

                            Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                            roughing gouge.

                            They are not made for the forces you would get in a catch. The small
                            diameter metal shank (back at the handle) would snap and you probably
                            would get hurt.

                            If you have a shallow wallet (and which of us don't), you could get a
                            bowl chisel set from Benjamin's Best (Penn State Industries and Long
                            Island woodworking for two sources). Two bowl gouges and two scrapers
                            are $70. IE, about the cost of a quality gouge.
                            http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcbt4.html

                            Of course, roughing the goblet, between centers, is what a roughing
                            gouge is made for

                            TTFN
                            Ralg
                            AnTir
                          • Barekr Silfri
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                              Bear...

                              Please, Please, PLEASE, tell me you are -NOT- hollowing with the
                              roughing gouge.

                              no I only used it to clean up the edges inside as my scraper just shredded the inside of the cup and left splinters. I used one corner of the roughing gouge to shave a final skin off the cup. when I did this I had only a few minutes of sanding while the one I did with the scraper I sanded the thing for about 15-20 minutes and still had the splinters coming off.

                            • leaking pen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                                oooo, nice. i very much like.

                                --
                                That which yields isn't always weak.
                              • Ralph Lindberg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006
                                  Bear, that's odd I wonder why the splintering happened, I can't say
                                  I've seen it on an end-grain hollowing. Unless it was right along the
                                  glue line (???)

                                  It sounds like you used the roughing gouge in a shearing cut. If your
                                  bowl gouge is ground in an Irish/Finger-nail gring you should be able
                                  to make a similar cut with your bowl gouge.

                                  Of course your scraper should have worked as a shear cut, and left a
                                  nice finish. As opposed to needing the 80 grit "gouge" (is sand-paper)

                                  TTFN
                                  Ralg
                                  AnTir
                                • Barekr Silfri
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                                     yeah my bowl gouge is kinda rounded along the bottom, my roughing gouge makes a more U-shape chisel and I used the top corner of the U. my scraper did awesome on the end grain i.e. the bottom of the cups, but when I tried to shave the sides smooth it shredded the sides rather than carving it away. Before you ask I did sharpen the scraper a few times as I thought that was my problem but it didn't change the outcome.

                                    Bear_._,___

                                  • Chuck Phillips
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 7, 2006

                                      Bear;

                                      The only way I can see a scraper ripping out long grain is if you take a too-heavy cut with the edge square on.  Have you tried holding the edge at an angle to the axis of the work to achieve a shearing cut?  Done properly, this will produce fine wispy shavings and a near-flawless surface. There’s a lot of good demonstration videos available from Robert Sorby at http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm.

                                      Charles Joiner

                                      Having a bowl phase in Caid