RE: :: [medievalsawdust] Another basic question

  • Schuster, Robert L.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2003

      After I have the boards glued and cut into a round shield, I will be
      gluing/riveting steel strips across the back perpendicular to the run
      of the boards to give the appearance of typical construction and
      strengthen the shield in the same fashion they used to do, except for
      the shamless non-visible application of the glue.

       --Oli

      why only the back?
      depending on what time frame you are going for, adding them to the front is period too
      granted i can only document this for the Vendel age (approx 550-800 AD) but there are some examples here:

      particularly relevant are the V6 and V8 folders

      Halvgrimr

    • vinlandar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2003
        Wow, Halvgrimr, those are GORGEOUS! Perhaps later when I've gotten
        my whole basic kit put together I'll go back and work on something
        like that. My Norse character is yer basic farmer and explorer when
        the occasion arises in the latter-almost-last part of the Viking
        period. He'd only have a shield like that if it managed to be passed
        on to him from his grandfather who was in the Great Army taking the
        Danelaw. I still have farm tools to make, arrows to fletch, a tent
        to sew and more clothing and shoes to make before I get out of the
        basics. With something to sit on, to sit under, to sit in, to eat
        with and to plant with all taken care of, then I can start thinking
        about the fancy fancies. BUT... Thanks so much for posting them, I'd
        not seen those illustrations before, and they are, as I said,
        gorgeous!

        -Charlie/Oli

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
        <Schusterrl@u...> wrote:

        > After I have the boards glued and cut into a round shield, I will
        be
        > gluing/riveting steel strips across the back perpendicular to the
        run
        > of the boards to give the appearance of typical construction and
        > strengthen the shield in the same fashion they used to do, except
        for
        > the shamless non-visible application of the glue.
        >
        > --Oli
        >
        > why only the back?
        > depending on what time frame you are going for, adding them to the
        front is period too
        > granted i can only document this for the Vendel age (approx 550-800
        AD) but there are some examples here:

        http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/Shields_and_bosses/Valsgard
        e_Vendel/

        > particularly relevant are the V6 and V8 folders
        >
        > Halvgrimr

        <http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/Shields_and_bosses/Valsgar
        de_Vendel/Vals8/Taf11Schild2.jpg>
      • Schuster, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2003
          Wow, Halvgrimr, those are GORGEOUS!  Perhaps later when I've gotten
          my whole basic kit put together I'll go back and work on something
          like that.  My Norse character is yer basic farmer and explorer when
          the occasion arises in the latter-almost-last part of the Viking
          period.  He'd only have a shield like that if it managed to be passed
          on to him from his grandfather who was in the Great Army taking the
          Danelaw.

          --your right, i hadn't considered that angle.
          enjoy them anyway;)