Cupboards and cabinets

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
      OK Avery, I have created a folder and uploaded a few photos for your perusal.

      The really Gothic-looking jobs with the overhanging canopy seem to be the
      earlier versions. Probably even earlier were simpler types; I think
      there's a description of one in a contemporary account of a feast held by
      Duke Phillip the Good.

      At some point, toward the end of the 15th c. or maybe the beginning of the
      16th, that overhanging canopy went out of style and the whole assembly
      flip-flopped, putting the cabinet above the open display. This style
      remained popular for a while and there are numerous surviving examples. At
      about the same time they started enclosing the whole thing with doors,
      eliminating the open display altogether.

      Hope this helps. It's put me onto yet another category to research... thanks!

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories