Re: [medievalsawdust] I'm in the mind to make a piece of furniture....

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2003
      >Somewhere I've seen a picture of a man being armoured
      >by a servant, his armour set out upon an tressle
      >table.

      That sounds like this one:
      http://www.chronique.com/Library/Armour/Armyd.htm

      But it does not have the cupboard you are searching for, so maybe there's
      another one.

      >Can someone steer me towards this picture, a good
      >illustration of such a piece, or, even better still,
      >photographs of a period example.

      There's a really nice one on the cover of 'Mobilier Moyen-Age Renaissance'
      by Monica Burckhardt. (The most annoying thing about this book is trying
      to track down the sources of the illustrations. The jacket is supposedly
      from "Histoire duGrand Alexandre,' which I think refers to 'Le Livre des
      Conquestes et Faits d'Alexandre' in the Petit-Palais, Paris, illuminated by
      William Vrelant.)

      If you want, I could scan it and post it to the Photos section.

      These things show up a lot in late 15th c. paintings and
      illuminations. I've seen only one example with the 'baldaquin' canopy, and
      that one was in very bad condition in a small museum in France. I think I
      have some photos of it, somewhere.

      There are more examples without the canopy. That's about where they seem
      to stop being called "cup-boards" and start being called
      "dressoirs." There's one in the Louvre; I have a couple of photos of that one.

      So, are you more interested in the fancy Gothic style with the canopy, or
      the later style without? I can find you some more examples in art if I
      know specifically what you are looking for.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      www.albionworks.net
      www.albionworks.com
    • Avery Austringer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
        > That sounds like this one:
        > http://www.chronique.com/Library/Armour/Armyd.htm

        I think it is that one and I've just mentally stuck the background
        from another piece into the picture. Damn.

        > So, are you more interested in the fancy Gothic style with the
        canopy, or
        > the later style without? I can find you some more examples in art
        if I
        > know specifically what you are looking for.

        To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I had this vague memory of this
        piece being in a picture and was, more or less, just going to follow
        that design. Why not upload one of each.

        Avery
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
          OK Avery, I have created a folder and uploaded a few photos for your perusal.

          The really Gothic-looking jobs with the overhanging canopy seem to be the
          earlier versions. Probably even earlier were simpler types; I think
          there's a description of one in a contemporary account of a feast held by
          Duke Phillip the Good.

          At some point, toward the end of the 15th c. or maybe the beginning of the
          16th, that overhanging canopy went out of style and the whole assembly
          flip-flopped, putting the cabinet above the open display. This style
          remained popular for a while and there are numerous surviving examples. At
          about the same time they started enclosing the whole thing with doors,
          eliminating the open display altogether.

          Hope this helps. It's put me onto yet another category to research... thanks!

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories