Re: [MedievalSawdust] Images of Possible Interest

  • JBRMM266@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
      Some sort of slicing tool . . . with an attached blade not unlike a planer?

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
        Well the Chiurgeons are gonna love this at feast events.

        "Don't worry, severe kitchen injuries from mandolins are Period.... ow, ow, ow."

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        From: "Helen Schultz" <helen.schultz@...>
        > I think that is plate 17, not 16... and it certainly looks like one to me (the
        > long rectangular thing in the lower left corner for those not familiar with the
        > kitchen tool).
        >
        > ~~ Katarina Helene

      • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
          I have been unable to locate plate 16 (or 17). Can someone post a url to
          that image?

          Haraldr

          JBRMM266@... wrote:
          > Some sort of slicing tool . . . with an attached blade not unlike a planer?

        • Helen Schultz
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
            Charles... I asked Mistress Helewyse (who speaks Italian, and who had given me the link to start with) about your question, and this is her answer:

            It looks like:
            "Fettine per far vermizeli di rape e cocuzze"
            Or in English
            "Slicer to make vermicelli (wormlets) of turnip or squash"
            In other words, yup, it's a Mandolin.
            Helewyse

            So, there you have it... a period/modern kitchen tool!! <smile>

            ~~ Katarina Helene

            Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
            Middle Kingdom

            The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006

                The links are tough, they don't change when the image does

                But on the left side of the page are some Italian words.  Paginas is page number, Indices is tables... etc.  At the very bottom is Luminas.  That is Italian for 'Pictures' aka Illuminations.  Expand that and you'll see plate names and their numbers.  Check out the bottom left hand corner of #17

                JBRMM266@aol. com wrote:
                > Some sort of slicing tool . . . with an attached blade not unlike a planer?

              • C N Schwartz
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006

                  And I think the mandolin is more of a slaw slices/shredder.  Seen similar ones from early 19th C.

                  If you go to the regular link sent, then click on the plus sign in front of the word "Laminas" in the left frame... then, when it opens up to a list, the plate numbers still won't be visible, so you have to scroll over to the right in that frame... you should see the plate numbers then... it is #17.  Sorry if that is really cumbersome, but they don't have an actual page link to each of them, as they are using multiple frames.

                  Hope that helps Haraldr.

                  ~~ Katarina Helene

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~
                  http://meisterin. katarina. home.comcast. net

                  The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~
                  I have been unable to locate plate 16 (or 17). Can someone post a url to
                  that image?

                  Haraldr

                  .

                • Beth and Bob Matney
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                    Direct link to plate #17

                    http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/temp/684494230_1.jpg

                    Hope that this helps.
                    Beth Matney

                    At 03:22 PM 10/9/2006, you wrote:
                    >If you go to the regular link sent, then click on the plus sign in front
                    >of the word "Laminas" in the left frame... then, when it opens up to a
                    >list, the plate numbers still won't be visible, so you have to scroll over
                    >to the right in that frame... you should see the plate numbers then... it
                    >is #17. Sorry if that is really cumbersome, but they don't have an actual
                    >page link to each of them, as they are using multiple frames.
                    >
                    >Here is the link again, just in case:
                    ><http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=X533351951&idioma=0>http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=X533351951&idioma=0
                    >
                    >Hope that helps Haraldr.
                    >
                    >~~ Katarina Helene
                  • James Winkler
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                      >> "Don't worry, severe kitchen injuries from mandolins are
                      Period.... ow, ow, ow."
                      It slices! It dices!!! It peels and purees!!!!!!   Yep the mandolin in that thing in the lower left on plate 16... used by brave chefs to shred, julienne and otherwise reduce large pieces of vegetable matter into smaller pieces of vegetable matter...and, as Chris pointed out... occasionally to reduce parts of themselves to smaller parts of themselves.  The darn things always scared the heck out of me...  I had always thought that they were some maniacal invention from the Victorian period...  nice to know folks were nuts before the Victorians...  Winking smiley emoticon

                      Chas.
                    • Mark Schuldenfrei
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
                        > Doth mine eyes deceive me or doth not plate 16 show that the kitchen
                        > mandolin dates to at least 1560???

                        So doth the food processor....

                        I cannot recall where I saw it, but it was in France circa
                        1987... a small chateau had a copy of a 1530 or so
                        food processor, grinder. It was a large wheel, which spun
                        within a bowl, and a narrow gap between the bowl and the
                        wheel. The wheel was sharply studded, and you fed food
                        that was to be ground carefully into the gap. Good for
                        grinding carrots, say.

                        Or fingertips. :-)

                        Tibor