I'm in the mind to make a piece of furniture....

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2003
      Somewhere I've seen a picture of a man being armoured
      by a servant, his armour set out upon an tressle
      table. Behind them stands a cupboard or dresser
      (there appears to be a good deal of disagreement out
      there regarding when it stops being one and starts
      being the other) with a tall back upon which there are
      shelves for plates, cups and the like.

      Can someone steer me towards this picture, a good
      illustration of such a piece, or, even better still,
      photographs of a period example.

      Thanks,
      Avery
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2003
        >Somewhere I've seen a picture of a man being armoured
        >by a servant, his armour set out upon an tressle
        >table.

        That sounds like this one:
        http://www.chronique.com/Library/Armour/Armyd.htm

        But it does not have the cupboard you are searching for, so maybe there's
        another one.

        >Can someone steer me towards this picture, a good
        >illustration of such a piece, or, even better still,
        >photographs of a period example.

        There's a really nice one on the cover of 'Mobilier Moyen-Age Renaissance'
        by Monica Burckhardt. (The most annoying thing about this book is trying
        to track down the sources of the illustrations. The jacket is supposedly
        from "Histoire duGrand Alexandre,' which I think refers to 'Le Livre des
        Conquestes et Faits d'Alexandre' in the Petit-Palais, Paris, illuminated by
        William Vrelant.)

        If you want, I could scan it and post it to the Photos section.

        These things show up a lot in late 15th c. paintings and
        illuminations. I've seen only one example with the 'baldaquin' canopy, and
        that one was in very bad condition in a small museum in France. I think I
        have some photos of it, somewhere.

        There are more examples without the canopy. That's about where they seem
        to stop being called "cup-boards" and start being called
        "dressoirs." There's one in the Louvre; I have a couple of photos of that one.

        So, are you more interested in the fancy Gothic style with the canopy, or
        the later style without? I can find you some more examples in art if I
        know specifically what you are looking for.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        www.albionworks.net
        www.albionworks.com
      • Avery Austringer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
          > That sounds like this one:
          > http://www.chronique.com/Library/Armour/Armyd.htm

          I think it is that one and I've just mentally stuck the background
          from another piece into the picture. Damn.

          > So, are you more interested in the fancy Gothic style with the
          canopy, or
          > the later style without? I can find you some more examples in art
          if I
          > know specifically what you are looking for.

          To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I had this vague memory of this
          piece being in a picture and was, more or less, just going to follow
          that design. Why not upload one of each.

          Avery
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
            OK Avery, I have created a folder and uploaded a few photos for your perusal.

            The really Gothic-looking jobs with the overhanging canopy seem to be the
            earlier versions. Probably even earlier were simpler types; I think
            there's a description of one in a contemporary account of a feast held by
            Duke Phillip the Good.

            At some point, toward the end of the 15th c. or maybe the beginning of the
            16th, that overhanging canopy went out of style and the whole assembly
            flip-flopped, putting the cabinet above the open display. This style
            remained popular for a while and there are numerous surviving examples. At
            about the same time they started enclosing the whole thing with doors,
            eliminating the open display altogether.

            Hope this helps. It's put me onto yet another category to research... thanks!

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories