Re: [MedievalSawdust] Images of Possible Interest

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
      Doth mine eyes deceive me or doth not plate 16 show that the kitchen mandolin dates to at least 1560???
      Chas.
    • Helen Schultz
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
        I think that is plate 17, not 16... and it certainly looks like one to me (the long rectangular thing in the lower left corner for those not familiar with the kitchen tool).

        ~~ Katarina Helene

      • JBRMM266@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
          Which of those objects do you identify as a "kitchen mandolin?"

          Donal

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
            Some sort of slicing tool . . . with an attached blade not unlike a planer?

          • kjworz@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
              Well the Chiurgeons are gonna love this at feast events.

              "Don't worry, severe kitchen injuries from mandolins are Period.... ow, ow, ow."

              --
              -Chris Schwartz
              Silver Spring, MD

              From: "Helen Schultz" <helen.schultz@...>
              > I think that is plate 17, not 16... and it certainly looks like one to me (the
              > long rectangular thing in the lower left corner for those not familiar with the
              > kitchen tool).
              >
              > ~~ Katarina Helene

            • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                I have been unable to locate plate 16 (or 17). Can someone post a url to
                that image?

                Haraldr

                JBRMM266@... wrote:
                > Some sort of slicing tool . . . with an attached blade not unlike a planer?

              • Helen Schultz
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                  Charles... I asked Mistress Helewyse (who speaks Italian, and who had given me the link to start with) about your question, and this is her answer:

                  It looks like:
                  "Fettine per far vermizeli di rape e cocuzze"
                  Or in English
                  "Slicer to make vermicelli (wormlets) of turnip or squash"
                  In other words, yup, it's a Mandolin.
                  Helewyse

                  So, there you have it... a period/modern kitchen tool!! <smile>

                  ~~ Katarina Helene

                  Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
                  Middle Kingdom

                  The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006

                      The links are tough, they don't change when the image does

                      But on the left side of the page are some Italian words.  Paginas is page number, Indices is tables... etc.  At the very bottom is Luminas.  That is Italian for 'Pictures' aka Illuminations.  Expand that and you'll see plate names and their numbers.  Check out the bottom left hand corner of #17

                      JBRMM266@aol. com wrote:
                      > Some sort of slicing tool . . . with an attached blade not unlike a planer?

                    • C N Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006

                        And I think the mandolin is more of a slaw slices/shredder.  Seen similar ones from early 19th C.

                        If you go to the regular link sent, then click on the plus sign in front of the word "Laminas" in the left frame... then, when it opens up to a list, the plate numbers still won't be visible, so you have to scroll over to the right in that frame... you should see the plate numbers then... it is #17.  Sorry if that is really cumbersome, but they don't have an actual page link to each of them, as they are using multiple frames.

                        Hope that helps Haraldr.

                        ~~ Katarina Helene

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~
                        http://meisterin. katarina. home.comcast. net

                        The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~
                        I have been unable to locate plate 16 (or 17). Can someone post a url to
                        that image?

                        Haraldr

                        .

                      • Beth and Bob Matney
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                          Direct link to plate #17

                          http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/temp/684494230_1.jpg

                          Hope that this helps.
                          Beth Matney

                          At 03:22 PM 10/9/2006, you wrote:
                          >If you go to the regular link sent, then click on the plus sign in front
                          >of the word "Laminas" in the left frame... then, when it opens up to a
                          >list, the plate numbers still won't be visible, so you have to scroll over
                          >to the right in that frame... you should see the plate numbers then... it
                          >is #17. Sorry if that is really cumbersome, but they don't have an actual
                          >page link to each of them, as they are using multiple frames.
                          >
                          >Here is the link again, just in case:
                          ><http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=X533351951&idioma=0>http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=X533351951&idioma=0
                          >
                          >Hope that helps Haraldr.
                          >
                          >~~ Katarina Helene
                        • James Winkler
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                            >> "Don't worry, severe kitchen injuries from mandolins are
                            Period.... ow, ow, ow."
                            It slices! It dices!!! It peels and purees!!!!!!   Yep the mandolin in that thing in the lower left on plate 16... used by brave chefs to shred, julienne and otherwise reduce large pieces of vegetable matter into smaller pieces of vegetable matter...and, as Chris pointed out... occasionally to reduce parts of themselves to smaller parts of themselves.  The darn things always scared the heck out of me...  I had always thought that they were some maniacal invention from the Victorian period...  nice to know folks were nuts before the Victorians...  Winking smiley emoticon

                            Chas.
                          • Mark Schuldenfrei
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 10, 2006
                              > Doth mine eyes deceive me or doth not plate 16 show that the kitchen
                              > mandolin dates to at least 1560???

                              So doth the food processor....

                              I cannot recall where I saw it, but it was in France circa
                              1987... a small chateau had a copy of a 1530 or so
                              food processor, grinder. It was a large wheel, which spun
                              within a bowl, and a narrow gap between the bowl and the
                              wheel. The wheel was sharply studded, and you fed food
                              that was to be ground carefully into the gap. Good for
                              grinding carrots, say.

                              Or fingertips. :-)

                              Tibor