[Fwd: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium files for October]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium files for October
      Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 20:43:26 -0500
      From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous@...>
      To: SCA-Arts-Sciences maillist <artssciences@...>
      CC: StefanliRous@...

      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I'm still looking for backup assistants to send this monthly article
      to the Drachenwald, Atlantia, Outlands and the West kingdom lists,
      when my regular assistants can't for some reason, such as being out
      of town. If you are interested in helping me out and you are on one
      of those lists, please contact me.

      I want to thank Lissa Underhill in the East Kingdom who has
      volunteered to help edit and update the files in the Florilegium.
      Several of the files in this month's updated files list were done by
      her. If anyone else would be interested in helping out in editing and
      updating the Florilegium files, please contact me.

      I also produce a version of this monthly article specifically for
      websites. If you maintain such a website and would like me to add you
      to my list of Web Ministers who get this article, please contact me.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
      article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
      it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
      more details.

      I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
      me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
      editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
      details.

      For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
      another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
      the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
      overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ANIMALS section:
      Guinefort-art “Guinefort: The Sainted Dog of France” by
      Mevanwy verch Tuder de Courtecadeno.
      In the CULTURES section:
      Cyprus-msg The culture and food of medieval Cyprus.
      In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
      Boules-Bocce-art “Boules and Bocce” by THL Dagonell
      Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
      In FOOD-MEATS section:
      corned-beef-msg Corned and salted beef.
      In the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section:
      Sugar-Paste-art "SUGAR PASTE: A Cook's ‘Play Dough’" by Dame
      Alys Katharine, O.L., O.P.
      In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
      whisks-msg Period whisks.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      Fabric-Stores-art “Don't Fear the Fabric Store” by THL Rosalyn
      MacGregor.
      In the PERFORMANCE-ARTS section:
      Bagpipe-Tips-art “Tips for medieval bagpiping in the SCA”
      by Karl Krampf.
      Tales-o-Teror-art “To Tell a Tale of Terror - Frightening a
      modern audience with a medieval mindset.”
      by H.L. Finnacan Dub.
      In the SCA-EVENT-PLANNING section:
      WB-checklist-art “Waterbearing: A Checklist for Autocrats”
      by Lady Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya.

      Here are some of the updated files.
      biscotti-msg Period biscotti, a twice-baked travel bread.
      compost-msg A pickled food of fruits and vegetables.
      courts-msg How to manage courts, royal presence.
      fd-Jewish-msg Jewish medieval food. Sources.
      Islam-msg Period Islamic religion. References.
      Norse-msg Norse culture. Viking raids.
      organ-meats-msg Period cooking of organ meats.
      patterns-msg Sources for clothing patterns. Altering
      mundane patterns.
      tea-msg Tea, cha. When it appeared in Europe.
      waterbearing-msg Water and beverage distribution at events.
      ---
      Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
      Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
      if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
      publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

      <end>
      --------
      Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas
      StefanliRous@...