Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Safety Note

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 19, 2003
      John LaTorre wrote:

      > Master Charles ("Three Fingers") wrote:
      >>Well. OK, there I was. Wed afternoon. turnin' bowls on my lathe.
      >
      > <tragic tale snipped>
      >
      >>THIS NOTE IS BEING PUT UP AS A SAFTY REMINDER.
      >
      > Well, since this is "true confessions" time, and to make Master Charles
      > feel a little better, I went and did something foolish last March. I tried
      > to plane a small block of wood (tail block for a hurdy-gurdy) on a jointer
      > and the wood caught, kicked back, and took off the last eighth of an inch
      > from my right index finger (including the end of the nail). I didn't know
      > jointers could kick back.

      On saws and jointers it's always better to keep as many fingers as
      possible hooked over the top of the fence. Which is exactly why
      Biesemeyer and some other wide fences have high faceplates.
      Less chance of your hand being dragged in. There might be something
      left with a tablesaw, with a jointer you are just ground meat
      and they are going to have to remove more or pull a patch off
      some other part of your poor pitiful ass to close the wound.

      I seem to remember being smacked with the back end of a jointed
      piece that was too short once. Caught me in the heel of the
      hand. Nothing worse than a slight bruise. Seems like it was
      short grain going out the side. I've owned four. I have set
      and worked on many up to 14" wide and eight feet long.

      Learning -how- to use a jointer is a distinct art.
      I don't have time to expound on it now.
      A lot of it has to do with hand pressure that is shifted
      as you work.

      Somewhere I also have an old article on learning to tune
      your bandsaw. A lot seriously need it. I have adjusted
      and rebuilt a number of them up to 36".

      Incidentally, a pack of cards is a great thing to have around
      to true your tablesaw fence with to make it straight. Test with a good
      level or straight edge, loosen screws, insert cards or paper
      and retighten. Test with a square as well. It should be 90
      degrees to the table.

      A really good book(s) to buy is Delta's 'How to get the most
      out of your (Tablesaw, scrollsaw, jointer, bandsaw, lathe etc.).
      I have most of them myself. Rosario Capotosto's books for
      Shopsmith and other machinery is where you learn the most
      tricks. See old write-up below.

      Master Magnus, OL [SCA], GDH, Manx, Regia.org

      > Come to think of it, the guy who sold me the jointer had nine fingers. I
      > wonder if, once these things taste human blood...

      This was good advice once, with new people it can't hurt to
      give it again, it's been a year or two:

      Authors I highly recommend are Rosario J. DeCristoforo's books on
      woodworking machinery techniques, Paul Hasluck's books on
      -everything- (you may think I'm kidding - I'm not), Holtzapffel's
      lathe work and abrasive applications and working odd materials books
      (5), most anything by the early Audel Guides (pre-50's)
      -in particular- the Audels Carpenters and Builders Guides 1-4 by
      Frank Graham, Aldren A. Watson's Country Furniture, Hand tools,
      Village Blacksmith, (don't take -some- of the techniques in his
      Furniture making Plain and Simple as gospel, he was mostly an
      accomplished illustrator similar to Irving Sloane), and -anything-
      by Fred T. Hodgson. Alexander Weygers' modern books on blacksmithing
      are also useful for beginners (as is Sam Allen's Edge of the Anvil).
      The three of them have been recombined into one now. I have the
      older editions. Many of these men were simply geniuses of their
      times and largely unmatched in ours.

      R.J. DeCristoforo showed machinery manufacturers new techniques they'd
      never envisioned for their machinery. The man wrote many books and
      thousands of articles for technical magazines. Many of his furniture
      building/remodelling designs are very dated to their decades though,
      so I don't recommend buying those as strongly as I do the Power
      Tool Woodworking for Everyone (something written largely for
      Shopsmith machine owners but good none the less) and most especially
      _DeCristoforo's Complete Book of Power Tools_. Sadly the man passed
      away a few years ago. His son writes now, but so far is not as
      good as his dad. Maybe he'll improve a lot like Norm Abrams has.
      (Norm Abrams has more tools donated to his show than any shop I ever
      worked in had, including the university. The shop he works in
      belongs to his producer btw. Rosario could school him quite a bit
      regardless.)

      Don't assume I'm talking strictly carpentry books here, some of
      these guys wrote on many trades applications. And the older Delta
      Guides books on machinery applications are extremely good.
      How to use your Table saw, Scroll saw, Band saw, Jointer, Lathe, etc.
      Popular Mechanics and Popular Science used to write multiple annuals
      on woodworking, metalworking, and projects like What to Make
      for decades that are amazing magazines and books.
      These authors cover everything from hand techniques to modern
      machinery techniques with tools you'd never imagine. Mass production
      put an end to such creativity - things people would do for fun
      prior to the television and computers. We had very skilled ancestors
      who made what they needed instead of buying it frequently.
      For younger folks the Boy Mechanic books (4) were quite something.
      Lindsay books sells some of them, so does http://www.leevalley.com/

      http://www.lindsaybks.com/
      Lindsay Publications, Inc.
      P.O.Box 538 Bradley, IL 60915-0538
      (fax 815) 935-5447
      (815) 935-5353 phone
      lindsay@...

      For modern books on traditional techniques I would recommend any of
      the five books by Roy Underhill in the Woodwright's series - a
      term he coined - a wright is a worker in wood - just as a smith
      is a worker in metal. Buy a good box of bandages. Roy uses a lot
      of them. Had I invested in Johnson & Johnson prior to his shop
      work I'd be a rich man.;) He is now Head of Historical Interpretation
      at Colonial Williamsburg, was the head carpenter there, and has
      filmed 200 episodes of the Woodwright's Shop. 1-800-PlayPBS.
      1-800-693-3939 http://www.shop.pbs.org/ search Woodwright’s Shop

      Some I have bought in past years before they disappeared:

      Special Collection: Weald and Downland Open Air Museum, Sussex
      England 1988.
      Franconia Farm and Handiwork Musum I + II Iphofen, Bavaria 1988.
      Running time: 1:24: 36.
      WW001: Roy’s Special Collections: Williamsburg Craftsmen 1991.
      Running time 79:38
      WW010: Boatbuilding - Running time 1: 27: 13. 1993. Season 20:
      2002: Turned Corner Chair; Item Code WOWS9202 $14.95
      "Inspired by Bruegel paintings, this easily-stored, lathe-turned,
      three-legged chair features a solid seat
      style that has held hefty humans since the middle ages, running
      time 26: 46.
      2000 - 1912: Wayne Barton - Master Chip Carver, Running Time 26:46.
      1-1309: The Geddy Foundry of Williamsburg, Running Time 26:46.
      WW012: Norway Episodes, Running Time 60 minutes
      1312 Lilihamer Open Air Museum
      1313 Oslo - Ship Museum + Folk Museum + Stavekirk.
      Norwegian Axe Framing and Log Cabins.
      1512: Williamsburg Trunk Maker - Saddler’s Shop. 1995.
      Running Time 26:46. Mostly leatherwork and stitching.
      1805: Debate of the Carpenter’s Tools, 1998. Running Time 26:46.
      2008: Marquetry Master Patrick Edwards, Season 20 WOWS9208
      "French 18th-century "ebinestes" made furniture decorated
      with pictures composed from thin sheets of colored wood.
      Trained in Paris, Patrick Edwards shows the tools and
      techniques of this lost art." $14.95 Running Time 26:46.
      1913: Buckets for Beginners, 1999. Running Time 26:46.
      9302: Welsh Chair Bodger Don Weber, Season 21,
      "Roy builds a brilliant base for anyone's bottom, using
      basic badgering, boiling, bending and boring in the
      wonderful Welsh way of working wood." $14.50 4/01/03
      9409: Williamsburg Wheelwright, Season 22, "Learn the exacting
      trade of the men who make wooden wheels for Williamsburg's wagons."
      $14.50 4/01/03
      9413: Craftsmen of Old Sturbridge Village, Season 22, Explore the new
      woodworking shop at Old Sturbridge Village where the planes get
      fancy." $14.50 4/01/03
      9209: In the Blacksmith Shop, Season 20, "Join Roy and the
      blacksmiths at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, and learn how to
      forge colonial hardware, tools and implements." $14.50 4/01/03
      9211: Carving With the Cabinetmakers, Season 20. Roy visits the
      cabinetmakers of the Hay Shop at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, as
      they show off their skills at decorative
      carving in the Colonial American style." $14.50 4/01/03
      9312: Flintlock Gunsmith, Season 21. Watch Williamsburg workers wrest a
      wonderful watchwork weapon of walnut and wrought steel to wound a
      wascally wabbit or worrisome wedcoat. (Taped in Colonial
      Williamsburg)" $14.50 4/01/03
      I've been to Williamsburg twice and have about 600 pictures of the
      various recreated tools, wheelbarrows, wagons, implements excavated.
      Same with the 2 Jamestown Parks and the Glass House.

      Anything by Drew Langsner, who teaches at his Country Workshops,
      here in North Carolina, USA. This would include his Country Woodcraft,
      Green Woodworking, Handmade (his first one), and Chair Making books.
      These are all hand techniques. He predates Roy on some of them.

      While these books are all from the last two centuries they are all
      extremely useful books, especially considering most of the folks
      on this list are not hacking trees generally to size with axes
      and hand mortise chisels nowadays to build their reproductions.
      You want to find out how to accomplish your tasks with what is
      now available - look to the above authors.