RE: [MedievalSawdust] mulberry wood?

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
      Mulberry?  I assume you are in North America.  In which case it is Red Mulberry, Morus Rubra.

      Commonly used as:
      Baskets
      Building materials
      Caskets
      Cooperages
      Foundation posts
      Interior construction
      Interior trim
      Millwork
      Moldings
      Posts
      Stakes
      Trimming
      Wainscotting

      It is rather weak so don't use it as structural members.  Highly suitable for furniture.

      Red mulberry is of little commercial importance as a source for lumber because of its small size and scattered occurrence. It is rarely available from lumber dealers, but can be obtained in small quantities for small projects. The trees are especially available in northern Virginia where it is considered a pest tree and disposed of as firewood.
      It is difficult to dry, but stable when you get there.  Easy to work with handtools and fairly easy to turn, too.

      White Mulberry is what they have in Western Europe.  There doesn't seem to be a marked difference in the appearance in the lumber, though.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006

        Silk worms on the Greek Islands during the crusades lived on mulberry trees. I don’t know varietals.

        Geffrei