mulberry wood?

  • Barbara Shelanskey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
      I have a question for those who may have more knowledge than I....

      Is mulberry a wood that would have been used in Medieval Europe? We recently
      had a tree come down, and before my eager husband chopped it all into firewood,
      I managed to get a few nice pieces for turning. I've turned mulberry before
      (though never green,) and it makes lovely bowls and such.

      Anyone have any insights?

      Thanks!

      ~Tatjana

      "It's never to late to be what you might have been."

      Wolf and Tiger Woodworking is now on the web!
      http://www.wolfandtiger.com
    • C N Schwartz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
        Mulberry?  I assume you are in North America.  In which case it is Red Mulberry, Morus Rubra.

        Commonly used as:
        Baskets
        Building materials
        Caskets
        Cooperages
        Foundation posts
        Interior construction
        Interior trim
        Millwork
        Moldings
        Posts
        Stakes
        Trimming
        Wainscotting

        It is rather weak so don't use it as structural members.  Highly suitable for furniture.

        Red mulberry is of little commercial importance as a source for lumber because of its small size and scattered occurrence. It is rarely available from lumber dealers, but can be obtained in small quantities for small projects. The trees are especially available in northern Virginia where it is considered a pest tree and disposed of as firewood.
        It is difficult to dry, but stable when you get there.  Easy to work with handtools and fairly easy to turn, too.

        White Mulberry is what they have in Western Europe.  There doesn't seem to be a marked difference in the appearance in the lumber, though.

        I have a question for those who may have more knowledge than I....

        Is mulberry a wood that would have been used in Medieval Europe? We recently
        had a tree come down, and before my eager husband chopped it all into firewood,
        I managed to get a few nice pieces for turning. I've turned mulberry before
        (though never green,) and it makes lovely bowls and such.

        Anyone have any insights?

        Thanks!

        ~Tatjana

        "It's never to late to be what you might have been."

        Wolf and Tiger Woodworking is now on the web!
        http://www.wolfandt iger.com

      • Geffrei Maudeleyne
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006

          Silk worms on the Greek Islands during the crusades lived on mulberry trees. I don’t know varietals.

          Geffrei