Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Hardwood Source

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
      M.L. Condon is the best local supplier for varied hardwoods. They have
      two locations, one in White Plains, NY and the main warehouse/mill house
      in Stormville, NY. The Stormville location is the only one I've ever
      used. It's directly across the street from Greenhaven prison for a
      location reference. Last time I was there 4/4 poplar planed 2 sides to
      13/16" under 8" was circa $2.25/bd ft. Not sure if that is the current
      price... wider, thicker or finished were all up charges. They sell
      roughsawn wood as well as planed. They have bins where the planed wood
      is stored for picking, but if they don't have the specific piece you
      want, they will mill roughsawn to planed 2sides for an additional
      charge, or you can come back in a few days and hope they have more to
      choose from in the bins.

      They are only open weekdays and close at 5pm. I have been thinking of
      heading out there myself recently, but haven't really decided what I
      might need. Other than Condon, there would be possibilities for some
      species to be available from various local sawmills, but I haven't used
      many of them in the past. There are several mills in Sullivan and
      Columbia/Greene counties and even more up in the Adirondacks.

      Will drop you a line offline re: mss5.

      Haraldr

      David T. Helmers wrote:
      > Haraldr,
      > What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
      > your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
      > few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
      > discuss MSS%)
      > Thanks, Tristan

    • ampcbj
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        Barbara,
        I'm in Wilmington, NC. Seareach. I also work for Anchor Hardwoods of
        the Carolinas. For the most part, we are a custom cabinet & furniture
        shop but we do sell lumber. Mostly exotics but we do carry most of
        the domestics.
        Give me a call (910)520-6588 & let me know what you're interested in.
        If you want, we have a full shop in the back yard with all of the
        modern tools to build anything you'd want. I am also considering a
        trip to Norfolk to see Mathew of Marinus so I might be able to deliver.
        I have an open invitation to all Atlantians, hell-anyone else for that
        matter, you're welcome to crash in our extra bed & we can play in the
        shop all weekend. If it's a really big project, we'll use the shop at
        work.
        I hope this helps.
        Egill
      • ampcbj
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          I have to appoologize to the list for my last email. That was supposed
          to go to her personally. It was not meant to be an add for my work
          place but the invitation stands for those interested.
          Chargrinned
          Egill
        • Avery Austringer
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
            I don't have the URL handy, but try Googling your state name and
            hardwood or "saw mill" or other related terms. Somewhere out there
            there is a forrestry service listing of saw mills! Sure, some of them
            probably only sell by the truckload or only sell rough milled stock,
            but you might also be able to find some uber-deals.

            Avery
          • paul
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
              I used to live in Norfolk and have many fond memory's of Yukon Lumber,
              Nice selection and the price wasn't bad. That was in the 90's though

              Paul

              Barbara Dodge wrote:

              > That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
              > has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
              > Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
              > it out.
              >
              > Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
              > part of Virginia and North Carolina.
              >
              > Barbara
              >

              > ---

            • Barbara Dodge
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                I recently discovered Yukon, but have not been able to get over there yet.  When I do, I'll let you know what they are like now.

                Barb

                .