Re: Hardwood Source

  • David T. Helmers
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
      Haraldr,
      What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
      your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
      few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
      discuss MSS%)
      Thanks, Tristan

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)"
      <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a
      supplier to
      > 'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
      > represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
      > source of hardwood dealers.
      >
      > There are other directories available that should also be checked,
      > including the business finder systems as part of various internet
      > mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com
      which
      > even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local
      hardwood
      > supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in
      30
      > minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try
      > use different search criteria because you are trying to second
      guess
      > what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
      > search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art
      of
      > the catalog.
      >
      > Good hunting...
      >
      > Haraldr
      >
      > Jehan-Yves wrote:
      > > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will
      tell
      > > you who is close.
      > > http://www.woodfinder.com/
      > >
      > > Jehan-Yves
      > >
      > > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
      > >
      > >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source
      so far
      > >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
      Co.
      > >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
      it out.

      > >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in
      eastern
      > >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
      > >>
      > >> Barbara

    • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        M.L. Condon is the best local supplier for varied hardwoods. They have
        two locations, one in White Plains, NY and the main warehouse/mill house
        in Stormville, NY. The Stormville location is the only one I've ever
        used. It's directly across the street from Greenhaven prison for a
        location reference. Last time I was there 4/4 poplar planed 2 sides to
        13/16" under 8" was circa $2.25/bd ft. Not sure if that is the current
        price... wider, thicker or finished were all up charges. They sell
        roughsawn wood as well as planed. They have bins where the planed wood
        is stored for picking, but if they don't have the specific piece you
        want, they will mill roughsawn to planed 2sides for an additional
        charge, or you can come back in a few days and hope they have more to
        choose from in the bins.

        They are only open weekdays and close at 5pm. I have been thinking of
        heading out there myself recently, but haven't really decided what I
        might need. Other than Condon, there would be possibilities for some
        species to be available from various local sawmills, but I haven't used
        many of them in the past. There are several mills in Sullivan and
        Columbia/Greene counties and even more up in the Adirondacks.

        Will drop you a line offline re: mss5.

        Haraldr

        David T. Helmers wrote:
        > Haraldr,
        > What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
        > your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
        > few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
        > discuss MSS%)
        > Thanks, Tristan

      • ampcbj
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          Barbara,
          I'm in Wilmington, NC. Seareach. I also work for Anchor Hardwoods of
          the Carolinas. For the most part, we are a custom cabinet & furniture
          shop but we do sell lumber. Mostly exotics but we do carry most of
          the domestics.
          Give me a call (910)520-6588 & let me know what you're interested in.
          If you want, we have a full shop in the back yard with all of the
          modern tools to build anything you'd want. I am also considering a
          trip to Norfolk to see Mathew of Marinus so I might be able to deliver.
          I have an open invitation to all Atlantians, hell-anyone else for that
          matter, you're welcome to crash in our extra bed & we can play in the
          shop all weekend. If it's a really big project, we'll use the shop at
          work.
          I hope this helps.
          Egill
        • ampcbj
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            I have to appoologize to the list for my last email. That was supposed
            to go to her personally. It was not meant to be an add for my work
            place but the invitation stands for those interested.
            Chargrinned
            Egill
          • Avery Austringer
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
              I don't have the URL handy, but try Googling your state name and
              hardwood or "saw mill" or other related terms. Somewhere out there
              there is a forrestry service listing of saw mills! Sure, some of them
              probably only sell by the truckload or only sell rough milled stock,
              but you might also be able to find some uber-deals.

              Avery
            • paul
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                I used to live in Norfolk and have many fond memory's of Yukon Lumber,
                Nice selection and the price wasn't bad. That was in the 90's though

                Paul

                Barbara Dodge wrote:

                > That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
                > has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
                > Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
                > it out.
                >
                > Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
                > part of Virginia and North Carolina.
                >
                > Barbara
                >

                > ---

              • Barbara Dodge
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                  I recently discovered Yukon, but have not been able to get over there yet.  When I do, I'll let you know what they are like now.

                  Barb

                  .