Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hardwood Source

  • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a supplier to
      'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
      represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
      source of hardwood dealers.

      There are other directories available that should also be checked,
      including the business finder systems as part of various internet
      mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com which
      even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local hardwood
      supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in 30
      minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try to
      use different search criteria because you are trying to second guess
      what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
      search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art of
      the catalog.

      Good hunting...

      Haraldr

      Jehan-Yves wrote:
      > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will tell
      > you who is close.
      > http://www.woodfinder.com/
      >
      > Jehan-Yves
      >
      > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
      >
      >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
      >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber Co.
      >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out.
      >>
      >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
      >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
      >>
      >> Barbara

    • David T. Helmers
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        Haraldr,
        What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
        your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
        few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
        discuss MSS%)
        Thanks, Tristan

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)"
        <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a
        supplier to
        > 'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
        > represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
        > source of hardwood dealers.
        >
        > There are other directories available that should also be checked,
        > including the business finder systems as part of various internet
        > mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com
        which
        > even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local
        hardwood
        > supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in
        30
        > minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try
        > use different search criteria because you are trying to second
        guess
        > what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
        > search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art
        of
        > the catalog.
        >
        > Good hunting...
        >
        > Haraldr
        >
        > Jehan-Yves wrote:
        > > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will
        tell
        > > you who is close.
        > > http://www.woodfinder.com/
        > >
        > > Jehan-Yves
        > >
        > > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
        > >
        > >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source
        so far
        > >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
        Co.
        > >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
        it out.

        > >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in
        eastern
        > >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
        > >>
        > >> Barbara

      • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          M.L. Condon is the best local supplier for varied hardwoods. They have
          two locations, one in White Plains, NY and the main warehouse/mill house
          in Stormville, NY. The Stormville location is the only one I've ever
          used. It's directly across the street from Greenhaven prison for a
          location reference. Last time I was there 4/4 poplar planed 2 sides to
          13/16" under 8" was circa $2.25/bd ft. Not sure if that is the current
          price... wider, thicker or finished were all up charges. They sell
          roughsawn wood as well as planed. They have bins where the planed wood
          is stored for picking, but if they don't have the specific piece you
          want, they will mill roughsawn to planed 2sides for an additional
          charge, or you can come back in a few days and hope they have more to
          choose from in the bins.

          They are only open weekdays and close at 5pm. I have been thinking of
          heading out there myself recently, but haven't really decided what I
          might need. Other than Condon, there would be possibilities for some
          species to be available from various local sawmills, but I haven't used
          many of them in the past. There are several mills in Sullivan and
          Columbia/Greene counties and even more up in the Adirondacks.

          Will drop you a line offline re: mss5.

          Haraldr

          David T. Helmers wrote:
          > Haraldr,
          > What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
          > your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
          > few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
          > discuss MSS%)
          > Thanks, Tristan

        • ampcbj
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            Barbara,
            I'm in Wilmington, NC. Seareach. I also work for Anchor Hardwoods of
            the Carolinas. For the most part, we are a custom cabinet & furniture
            shop but we do sell lumber. Mostly exotics but we do carry most of
            the domestics.
            Give me a call (910)520-6588 & let me know what you're interested in.
            If you want, we have a full shop in the back yard with all of the
            modern tools to build anything you'd want. I am also considering a
            trip to Norfolk to see Mathew of Marinus so I might be able to deliver.
            I have an open invitation to all Atlantians, hell-anyone else for that
            matter, you're welcome to crash in our extra bed & we can play in the
            shop all weekend. If it's a really big project, we'll use the shop at
            work.
            I hope this helps.
            Egill
          • ampcbj
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              I have to appoologize to the list for my last email. That was supposed
              to go to her personally. It was not meant to be an add for my work
              place but the invitation stands for those interested.
              Chargrinned
              Egill
            • Avery Austringer
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                I don't have the URL handy, but try Googling your state name and
                hardwood or "saw mill" or other related terms. Somewhere out there
                there is a forrestry service listing of saw mills! Sure, some of them
                probably only sell by the truckload or only sell rough milled stock,
                but you might also be able to find some uber-deals.

                Avery
              • paul
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                  I used to live in Norfolk and have many fond memory's of Yukon Lumber,
                  Nice selection and the price wasn't bad. That was in the 90's though

                  Paul

                  Barbara Dodge wrote:

                  > That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
                  > has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
                  > Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
                  > it out.
                  >
                  > Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
                  > part of Virginia and North Carolina.
                  >
                  > Barbara
                  >

                  > ---

                • Barbara Dodge
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                    I recently discovered Yukon, but have not been able to get over there yet.  When I do, I'll let you know what they are like now.

                    Barb

                    .