Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hardwood Source (was: lastest proect and questions for the list)

  • Jehan-Yves
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
               Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will tell you who is close.
      http://www.woodfinder.com/

      Jehan-Yves

      At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:

      That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA.  My only source so far has been the local Woodcraft store.  There is the Yukon Lumber Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out.

      Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern part of Virginia and North Carolina.

      Barbara

    • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
        This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a supplier to
        'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
        represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
        source of hardwood dealers.

        There are other directories available that should also be checked,
        including the business finder systems as part of various internet
        mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com which
        even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local hardwood
        supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in 30
        minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try to
        use different search criteria because you are trying to second guess
        what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
        search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art of
        the catalog.

        Good hunting...

        Haraldr

        Jehan-Yves wrote:
        > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will tell
        > you who is close.
        > http://www.woodfinder.com/
        >
        > Jehan-Yves
        >
        > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
        >
        >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
        >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber Co.
        >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out.
        >>
        >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
        >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
        >>
        >> Barbara

      • David T. Helmers
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
          Haraldr,
          What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
          your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
          few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
          discuss MSS%)
          Thanks, Tristan

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)"
          <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a
          supplier to
          > 'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
          > represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
          > source of hardwood dealers.
          >
          > There are other directories available that should also be checked,
          > including the business finder systems as part of various internet
          > mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com
          which
          > even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local
          hardwood
          > supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in
          30
          > minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try
          > use different search criteria because you are trying to second
          guess
          > what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
          > search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art
          of
          > the catalog.
          >
          > Good hunting...
          >
          > Haraldr
          >
          > Jehan-Yves wrote:
          > > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will
          tell
          > > you who is close.
          > > http://www.woodfinder.com/
          > >
          > > Jehan-Yves
          > >
          > > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
          > >
          > >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source
          so far
          > >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
          Co.
          > >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
          it out.

          > >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in
          eastern
          > >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
          > >>
          > >> Barbara

        • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            M.L. Condon is the best local supplier for varied hardwoods. They have
            two locations, one in White Plains, NY and the main warehouse/mill house
            in Stormville, NY. The Stormville location is the only one I've ever
            used. It's directly across the street from Greenhaven prison for a
            location reference. Last time I was there 4/4 poplar planed 2 sides to
            13/16" under 8" was circa $2.25/bd ft. Not sure if that is the current
            price... wider, thicker or finished were all up charges. They sell
            roughsawn wood as well as planed. They have bins where the planed wood
            is stored for picking, but if they don't have the specific piece you
            want, they will mill roughsawn to planed 2sides for an additional
            charge, or you can come back in a few days and hope they have more to
            choose from in the bins.

            They are only open weekdays and close at 5pm. I have been thinking of
            heading out there myself recently, but haven't really decided what I
            might need. Other than Condon, there would be possibilities for some
            species to be available from various local sawmills, but I haven't used
            many of them in the past. There are several mills in Sullivan and
            Columbia/Greene counties and even more up in the Adirondacks.

            Will drop you a line offline re: mss5.

            Haraldr

            David T. Helmers wrote:
            > Haraldr,
            > What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
            > your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
            > few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
            > discuss MSS%)
            > Thanks, Tristan

          • ampcbj
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              Barbara,
              I'm in Wilmington, NC. Seareach. I also work for Anchor Hardwoods of
              the Carolinas. For the most part, we are a custom cabinet & furniture
              shop but we do sell lumber. Mostly exotics but we do carry most of
              the domestics.
              Give me a call (910)520-6588 & let me know what you're interested in.
              If you want, we have a full shop in the back yard with all of the
              modern tools to build anything you'd want. I am also considering a
              trip to Norfolk to see Mathew of Marinus so I might be able to deliver.
              I have an open invitation to all Atlantians, hell-anyone else for that
              matter, you're welcome to crash in our extra bed & we can play in the
              shop all weekend. If it's a really big project, we'll use the shop at
              work.
              I hope this helps.
              Egill
            • ampcbj
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                I have to appoologize to the list for my last email. That was supposed
                to go to her personally. It was not meant to be an add for my work
                place but the invitation stands for those interested.
                Chargrinned
                Egill
              • Avery Austringer
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                  I don't have the URL handy, but try Googling your state name and
                  hardwood or "saw mill" or other related terms. Somewhere out there
                  there is a forrestry service listing of saw mills! Sure, some of them
                  probably only sell by the truckload or only sell rough milled stock,
                  but you might also be able to find some uber-deals.

                  Avery
                • paul
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                    I used to live in Norfolk and have many fond memory's of Yukon Lumber,
                    Nice selection and the price wasn't bad. That was in the 90's though

                    Paul

                    Barbara Dodge wrote:

                    > That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
                    > has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
                    > Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
                    > it out.
                    >
                    > Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
                    > part of Virginia and North Carolina.
                    >
                    > Barbara
                    >

                    > ---

                  • Barbara Dodge
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                      I recently discovered Yukon, but have not been able to get over there yet.  When I do, I'll let you know what they are like now.

                      Barb

                      .