Hardwood Source (was: lastest proect and questions for the list)

  • Barbara Dodge
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA.  My only source so far has been the local Woodcraft store.  There is the Yukon Lumber Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out.

      Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern part of Virginia and North Carolina.

      Barbara

      Where do you live? I know a local sawmill with really cheap hardwoods. It's near Mt. Airy, NC. (I-77 and Virginia border, 110 miles north of Charlotte).

      Geffrei

      .

    • Jehan-Yves
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
                 Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will tell you who is close.
        http://www.woodfinder.com/

        Jehan-Yves

        At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:

        That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA.  My only source so far has been the local Woodcraft store.  There is the Yukon Lumber Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out.

        Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern part of Virginia and North Carolina.

        Barbara

      • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
          This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a supplier to
          'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
          represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
          source of hardwood dealers.

          There are other directories available that should also be checked,
          including the business finder systems as part of various internet
          mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com which
          even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local hardwood
          supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in 30
          minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try to
          use different search criteria because you are trying to second guess
          what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
          search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art of
          the catalog.

          Good hunting...

          Haraldr

          Jehan-Yves wrote:
          > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will tell
          > you who is close.
          > http://www.woodfinder.com/
          >
          > Jehan-Yves
          >
          > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
          >
          >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
          >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber Co.
          >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out.
          >>
          >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
          >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
          >>
          >> Barbara

        • David T. Helmers
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            Haraldr,
            What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
            your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
            few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
            discuss MSS%)
            Thanks, Tristan

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)"
            <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > This seems to be a list selef selected in that it requires a
            supplier to
            > 'join' to be listed. That means that not all suppliers will be
            > represented so please remember to use it as a tool, not as the only
            > source of hardwood dealers.
            >
            > There are other directories available that should also be checked,
            > including the business finder systems as part of various internet
            > mapping sites and the Thomas Registry http://www.thomasnet.com
            which
            > even there isn't foolproof as it doesn't show the best local
            hardwood
            > supplier as being within 100 miles of me, when I can drive there in
            30
            > minutes. It doesn't even show up in the searches for Lumber. So try
            > use different search criteria because you are trying to second
            guess
            > what someone else used when they cataloged it and too many of these
            > search systems aren't run by Librarians who are trained in the art
            of
            > the catalog.
            >
            > Good hunting...
            >
            > Haraldr
            >
            > Jehan-Yves wrote:
            > > Try going to woodfinder, enter your zipcode, and it will
            tell
            > > you who is close.
            > > http://www.woodfinder.com/
            > >
            > > Jehan-Yves
            > >
            > > At 09:35 AM 10/1/2006, you wrote:
            > >
            > >> That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source
            so far
            > >> has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
            Co.
            > >> here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
            it out.

            > >> Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in
            eastern
            > >> part of Virginia and North Carolina.
            > >>
            > >> Barbara

          • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              M.L. Condon is the best local supplier for varied hardwoods. They have
              two locations, one in White Plains, NY and the main warehouse/mill house
              in Stormville, NY. The Stormville location is the only one I've ever
              used. It's directly across the street from Greenhaven prison for a
              location reference. Last time I was there 4/4 poplar planed 2 sides to
              13/16" under 8" was circa $2.25/bd ft. Not sure if that is the current
              price... wider, thicker or finished were all up charges. They sell
              roughsawn wood as well as planed. They have bins where the planed wood
              is stored for picking, but if they don't have the specific piece you
              want, they will mill roughsawn to planed 2sides for an additional
              charge, or you can come back in a few days and hope they have more to
              choose from in the bins.

              They are only open weekdays and close at 5pm. I have been thinking of
              heading out there myself recently, but haven't really decided what I
              might need. Other than Condon, there would be possibilities for some
              species to be available from various local sawmills, but I haven't used
              many of them in the past. There are several mills in Sullivan and
              Columbia/Greene counties and even more up in the Adirondacks.

              Will drop you a line offline re: mss5.

              Haraldr

              David T. Helmers wrote:
              > Haraldr,
              > What are the best places you found in your are? I'm going to be in
              > your neck of the woods this weekend, and again for MSS5, and I have a
              > few projects begging for hardwood. (also, please email me off-line to
              > discuss MSS%)
              > Thanks, Tristan

            • ampcbj
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                Barbara,
                I'm in Wilmington, NC. Seareach. I also work for Anchor Hardwoods of
                the Carolinas. For the most part, we are a custom cabinet & furniture
                shop but we do sell lumber. Mostly exotics but we do carry most of
                the domestics.
                Give me a call (910)520-6588 & let me know what you're interested in.
                If you want, we have a full shop in the back yard with all of the
                modern tools to build anything you'd want. I am also considering a
                trip to Norfolk to see Mathew of Marinus so I might be able to deliver.
                I have an open invitation to all Atlantians, hell-anyone else for that
                matter, you're welcome to crash in our extra bed & we can play in the
                shop all weekend. If it's a really big project, we'll use the shop at
                work.
                I hope this helps.
                Egill
              • ampcbj
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                  I have to appoologize to the list for my last email. That was supposed
                  to go to her personally. It was not meant to be an add for my work
                  place but the invitation stands for those interested.
                  Chargrinned
                  Egill
                • Avery Austringer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
                    I don't have the URL handy, but try Googling your state name and
                    hardwood or "saw mill" or other related terms. Somewhere out there
                    there is a forrestry service listing of saw mills! Sure, some of them
                    probably only sell by the truckload or only sell rough milled stock,
                    but you might also be able to find some uber-deals.

                    Avery
                  • paul
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                      I used to live in Norfolk and have many fond memory's of Yukon Lumber,
                      Nice selection and the price wasn't bad. That was in the 90's though

                      Paul

                      Barbara Dodge wrote:

                      > That's a little far for me, I'm in Norfolk, VA. My only source so far
                      > has been the local Woodcraft store. There is the Yukon Lumber
                      > Co. here in Norfolk, but I have yet to have the opportunity to check
                      > it out.
                      >
                      > Does anyone know of any other sources for hardwood lumber in eastern
                      > part of Virginia and North Carolina.
                      >
                      > Barbara
                      >

                      > ---

                    • Barbara Dodge
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
                        I recently discovered Yukon, but have not been able to get over there yet.  When I do, I'll let you know what they are like now.

                        Barb