Tannin stained hands?

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
      Anyone know a way to clean the tannin stains from oak off
      skin? ( unless it's not the tannins staining my hands and I'd
      still like a way to clean it off....)

      Traditional soap and water, waterless hand cleaners ( like the ones
      for greasy mechanic hands ) WD40, laquer thinner, mineral spirits,
      lemon juice....

      nothing I've tried has worked.

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
          Where rubber gloves so you don't get them on your hands to
          begin with. :)

          --Dyderich

          --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

          > Anyone know a way to clean the tannin stains from oak off
          > skin? ( unless it's not the tannins staining my hands and
          > I'd
          > still like a way to clean it off....)
          >
          > Traditional soap and water, waterless hand cleaners (
          > like the ones
          > for greasy mechanic hands ) WD40, laquer thinner, mineral
          > spirits,
          > lemon juice....
          >
          > nothing I've tried has worked.
          >

          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chuck Phillips
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
            Oxalic acid? Of course the chemical burns might be works than the
            stains. I think the problem here is that the staining is not the result
            of something sitting on your skin. Rather, it is a chemical staining of
            the skin. You may achieve some degree of success with an abrasive
            cleaner like Lava or a mild bleach such as Oxy-Clean.

            Then again, if the stains aren't too bad you may just want to live with
            them for a while. Even silver nitrate stains wear off in a week or two.

            Charles Joiner
            Caid

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:

              > Where rubber gloves so you don't get them on your hands to
              > begin with. :)

              That's the only way I know

              Ralg
              AnTir
            • leaking pen
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                silver nitrate only lasts about 3 days if you get enough sun. and the
                look on peoples faces when you go from indoors to out, and the stains
                suddenly slowly blossom out of no where is worth it, heh.

                yeah, youve stained your skin. it wont come off till you replace the
                skin. sorry.

                --
                That which yields isn't always weak.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006

                  Earl Ryan <dyderich@.. .> wrote:

                  > Wear rubber gloves so you don't get them on your hands to
                  > begin with. :)

                  That's the only way I know

                  Ralg
                  AnTir

                  too late for that....

                  _

                • kjworz@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                    Now go de-husk some walnuts....

                    Yeah, no shortcut to unstail em. But its no biggee, unless you have a wedding or a swearing-in ceremony or something. I never mind it when its happening to me. It's not like they are dirty, especially after all the washing you've already done.

                    --
                    -Chris Schwartz
                    Silver Spring, MD

                    From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>

                  • JBRMM266@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                      I have that problem from time to time with leather dye - it seems to eat right through the gloves, and of course what's skin but raw leather?

                      So I wind up with oddly-colored hands for a while. I've even considered a careful application of the dye so it's at least even.

                      But since I dye my leather armor red, that would be a bit jarring.  Caught red-handed . . .

                      I suppose it's an avocational hazard.

                      Ruefully
                      Donal

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                        well, in the case of dye, pre dye with a light matching color that wont get overdyed.

                        On 9/29/06, JBRMM266@... <JBRMM266@...> wrote:
                        I have that problem from time to time with leather dye - it seems to eat right through the gloves, and of course what's skin but raw leather?

                        So I wind up with oddly-colored hands for a while. I've even considered a careful application of the dye so it's at least even.

                        But since I dye my leather armor red, that would be a bit jarring.  Caught red-handed . . .

                        I suppose it's an avocational hazard.

                        Ruefully
                        Donal

                        yeah, youve stained your skin.  it wont come off till you replace the
                        skin.  sorry.

                        Check out the new AOL . Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

                        --
                        That which yields isn't always weak.
                      • Jim Looper
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                          I work with a fellow tech who will wash his hands and go to lunch with them still stained from oil/grease/what-have-you. His reply to comments is: "Yeah, but it's CLEAN dirt". <grin>

                          Lucien

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                            Best method I know...  take an ax...  go into the timber...  cut wood all day...
                            ... a nice rip saw (hand version... power tools are less than efficatious for this purpose)... and saw out a few planks.

                            Note:  Don't wear gloves

                            What don't wear off with a few surface layers of skin will probably disappear with the blisters...

                            Chas.

                            =============

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                              Really fine grit sandpaper?

                              No, seriously, I believe you've tried everything I can think of except
                              a combination of white vinegar and baking soda.

                              Goetz

                              --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

                              > Anyone know a way to clean the tannin stains from oak off
                              > skin? ( unless it's not the tannins staining my hands and I'd
                              > still like a way to clean it off....)
                              >
                              > Traditional soap and water, waterless hand cleaners ( like the ones
                              > for greasy mechanic hands ) WD40, laquer thinner, mineral spirits,
                              > lemon juice....
                              >
                              > nothing I've tried has worked.
                              >

                              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                              >
                              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                              > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 29, 2006
                                Have you picked up walnuts they stain a lost more than Oak. There is one
                                hand cleaner that will work....time...it will wear off.

                                Any one know how to set up a four jaw self centering head stock chuck? I
                                can only get it to .004 inches out of round.

                                James Cunningham
                                who is enjoying the grease from a 75 year old metal working lathe.
                                > Anyone know a way to clean the tannin stains from oak off
                                > skin? ( unless it's not the tannins staining my hands and I'd
                                > still like a way to clean it off....)
                                >
                                > Traditional soap and water, waterless hand cleaners ( like the ones
                                > for greasy mechanic hands ) WD40, laquer thinner, mineral spirits,
                                > lemon juice....
                                >
                                > nothing I've tried has worked.
                                >

                                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                >
                                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                              • Geffrei Maudeleyne
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
                                  As a small aside from this thread, if anyone in western NC would like some walnuts for making stain, ink or dye, or cracking for the nuts, let me know and I can bring them to War of the Wings later in October.
                                  I use vinegar to help extract tannins for my ink and stain, it might help a little. I clean up my messes with bleach. I do wear vinyl gloves.
                                  Geffrei

                                  From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@yahoo. com>

                                  > Earl Ryan <dyderich@.. .>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > Wear
                                  rubber gloves so you don't get them on your hands to

                                  > > begin
                                  with. :)

                                  > That's the
                                  only way I know