Re: [MedievalSawdust] Harbor Freight? Chicago Electric?

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 28, 2006
      I've had good experience using Harbor Freight as a 'tool learning curve'.  (And Cummins Tools)

      That is to say, if I have a new 'type of tool' that I'm interested in, that I think will help me out in the shop ...

      Before investing $300 into a good tool then ... I'll buy a $20 (or whatever) Harbor Frieght/Cummins version.

      I'll use it until it breaks.   In that time, I'll learn what things are REALLY important for that particular kind of tool, because it's the stuff that's bugging me to DEATH about the HF one.

      Then I know I'm buying the RIGHT $300 one.

      At the same time, I've actually found that SOME of the HF tools end up being good enough (with some modification).   I'm still using a compound miter I bought from them like 5 years ago.   And a benchtop drill press (modified to actually stay square)

      Of course, there are some things that I need extreme accurcy from day one, and so I buy good quality day 1 ... like the planer/jointer and mortising machine ...

      Siegfried

      On 9/15/06, Logan <logan@...> wrote:

      yeah, harbor freight junk is, well, junk.  fact is you get what you pay for and going the cheap way with anything gives you a lesser product.  its like buying black and decker or ryobi garbage instead of bosch.  nothing wrong with doing it as long as you know you are getting crap.  i bought one tool ever from harbor freight and wont make that mistake again.  even their sandpaper is poor.  but as long as someone isn't concerned with getting something good they can save a bunch buying cheaper stuff.  just don't expect it to do what you would expect from a decent piece of equipment.

      regards

      logan

      tool snob