Re: [medievalsawdust] Chests book

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2003
      Tim Bray wrote:
      > Magnus script:
      >
      >>Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
      >>Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book.
      >
      > Free?! I paid for mine - and it was Well worth it.

      You bought it before I made the suggestion to Jack. ;)
      Sorry about that. But I thought I had included you
      in the list I sent him. The people doing at least
      semi-pro work with pages on the internet.

      I paid about $45 for the original two articles.
      Jack gave me two books when he reprinted them and
      rebound my articles. Anything else I've done with them
      was by buying two dozen and selling them here in Atlantia.

      I sent Jack names for various page maintainers who had
      articles on medieval woodworking on their pages.
      I know I did Fin and Charles Oakley and a few others.
      I also sent him the names of various book dealers/sutlers
      to the SCA and other reenactors to send various samples to.

      Smoke and Fire's best seller has been the largely modern
      Chests book that is current. At Pennsic I stopped by and
      gave them his address and a description same as various
      other dealers. I don't think they picked it up. Dumb.
      They had told me that they sold over 200 of the non-period
      chests book in their winter catalog alone.

      I know Jack sends a copy of his .pdf to Amazon every time
      they request an order. That doesn't necessarily mean they
      list all the new books though. That would take a bit of
      effort on someone's part to go back and cross-check.

      As far as I know Jack is not on any booksearch system,
      although he is talking about getting to the age he's
      thinking about listing his library of 4,000 books on
      abebooks (which takes 20% of the sale). Bookfinder.com
      is about $25 per month so much cheaper.

      Were I a merchant I feel fairly certain hundreds could
      easily be sold at Pennsic. The event I took fourteen
      to had 120 people and they were gone in about three hours.
      The other ten were all snatched up locally. Many
      subsequent inquiries.

      >> - I would
      >>appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
      >>pages.
      >

      > Good idea. I'm working on one for clamped-front chests, along the lines of
      > the one I did for beds, but with more details.

      Please put in Jack's address.

      Actually, when I merchanted in the SCA pre-disability I bought
      and priced things according to what everyone could afford.
      Generally in the $5 to $20 range.

      Here's a thought. A $13 book can be afforded by anyone and
      a $200+ chest can't generally. Master Finnr was carrying both
      the Mastermyr Chest: A Viking Age Tool-chest from Gotland $18
      which I pestered Norm Larson books into reprinting and was
      carrying some of Jack's books as well. Unfortunately poor
      Finnr died last February at age 42 of a heart attack. He
      was planning on expanding into much of the rest of Jack's
      offerings. Jack prints esoteric subjects. The market for
      these things is wide open.

      Norm Larson Books, 5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
      Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
      Postage is $2 for first book
      plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
      larbooks@...

      As I recall, a dozen of the chests books were $88 post paid,
      or $7.33 each and they sell for $12.95 plus tax. You get a
      reasonable profit of $5.72 each, they require virtually no
      work, take up very little space in your booth or van.
      With a small sign, orange in my case above them, they sold
      out quickly. So you can even snag the cheap people. ;)
      The ones who imagine that one day they'll do so and so.
      The whole point in the end though was to increase
      authenticity for everyone. Most of the people I know need
      multiple chests for feast gear, sitting and kit.

      >> given the fact that this is the only one with
      >>internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
      >>and measurements,
      >

      > Internal details, joinery details, lumber dimensions... all the stuff we
      > all _wish_ they would put in the books. Invaluable.
      >
      > I only wish it was a little larger format, so the details would be easier
      > for these aging eyes to read, but then of course it wouldn't be so cheap.

      The original format was just slightly larger and the measurements
      on my original articles were so indistinct in hand script that Jack
      spent most of a year part-time going back and working them into the
      drawings in legible script.

      I knew the articles would be of great use to
      reenactors in general - who doesn't need a chest? - and rather than
      do the common thing and keep them to myself I loaned them to Jack
      for almost a year. He had to type everything in as it didn't scan
      well. Of the second article he took only the photos, which to me
      appear to be chests of the next several centuries, excepting the
      dovetailed chest which was dated 12/13th c on the basis of the ironwork.
      That article was a review of a chests book. They were from 1907 and
      1912 and so in the public domain. The coverage of the little book
      is actually from 12th through early 16th C. judging by the styles.

      >>and REASONABLY priced

      > Cheap, even!

      That was why I sent it to Jack.
      I really wish he was more pro-actively listed.
      $25 per month to Bookfinder, instead of relying on Amazon to
      put out the effort to list them from a flier would be cheap
      advertising. There has to be hundreds of SCA per month looking
      for books on Medieval Furniture. Excepting the Diehl books of
      somewhat dubious constructional details at times most books
      on medieval furniture I have are in the $40 to $100 range
      plus postage from Europe frequently. One of my chests books
      actually came from the York Castle Library. Why they sold
      it I have no idea, but so it's marked. About $55 with postage.
      Most history of furniture books have less than a dozen
      examples generally before they jump to Jacobite furniture.
      Few people are going to go to the excess of that style, or
      the Baroque or Roccoco, so their actual references are few.

      BTW. I got in the [German] Roman Siege Engines book.
      The text is entirely in German but the siege engines
      drafting plates are to scale. Not every part is measured -
      one would have to use a proportional set of dividers or
      calculate, or blow them up. But the constructional details
      are good. I may look into doing a reprint of it.
      We need more and better siege engines. There was one
      spring actuated grenade thrower picture from the then
      just-over Great War. Not quite like the English version
      I have seen in my Diagram Associates Weapons book.

      I also got in another two crossbow books last week.
      One modern one from Germany, and Frank Bilson's Crossbow
      book from 1974. That one has a very odd little contraption
      in it. A nine inch long folding assassin's crossbow entirely
      of metal I think except for the sinew skeins which really
      make it more like a worm drawn siege engine. The draw
      mechanism uses an acme screw crank. Folds, must be the
      medieval equivalent of a fairly silent derringer.

      Magnus