Re: [medievalsawdust] Coopers and pails

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2003
      From my limited reading on the subject - mainly Joseph Needham's 'Heavenly
      Clockwork', 'The Hall of Heavenly Records' & 'Science & Civilisation in
      China" it seems that the real thing did use metal cylinders in a wooden
      tower casing - at least east of the Oxus. I'd recommend getting the first
      of these books thru' interlibrary loan - I doubt if you'll still find any
      at 80% off like I did years ago.:-)

      There is an interesting striking mechanism that would be easy to add to
      your clock too.

      If you are dead-keen on making wooden water vessels for your clock, someone
      posted a link to some scanned pages from Fine Woodworking here in the last
      few weeks. Otherwise, just chamfer some boards & use modern glues & add a
      couple of bands of string, metal or whatever - remember that traditional
      wet-coopering relied heavily on forcing tapered, curved boards together &
      keeping them under considerable pressure - by the time barrels are sold out
      of service these days, they are at the point where they need to be
      completely re-built, which is a very skilled job in itself.

      regards
      Brusi
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2003

        > I thank the list member who pointed to information
        > aiding me to make
        > my own...

        I must have missed that...

        =====

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Jim Hart
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2003
          > If you are dead-keen on making wooden water vessels for your clock,
          someone
          > posted a link to some scanned pages from Fine Woodworking here in
          the last
          > few weeks.

          couldn't get the link to work.....
        • Scott Lane
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2003
            > > If you are dead-keen on making wooden water vessels for your clock,
            >someone
            > > posted a link to some scanned pages from Fine Woodworking here in
            >the last
            > > few weeks.
            >couldn't get the link to work.....

            It's been changed to: