Coopers and pails

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10 3:13 PM
      I need two straight sided 'pails' for a
      larger project I'm working on.

      I'm working on the second prototype of
      a waterclock and need two 'period'
      cylinders so that they fill with water
      at an even rate.

      ( details will follow, check in the photo
      area of the sawdust [page for pics of my
      first clock. I used PVC for the water tanks
      and wanted somthing more period and bigger
      for the next clock )

      I can't find any information on making
      a pail or even a barrel.

      Anyone got any info on doing it yourself?

      Or short of that did the 'looking for
      a cooper' email get the asker in touch
      with a cooper?

      If I can't find anything I guess I can make
      a metal cylinder....

      =====

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • vinlandar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11 5:13 AM
        Baron,

        I am still looking. The Five Rivers site I found responded with a
        note to the effect they were so backed up that if you put a 50%
        deposit down now, they might get to your bucket(s) in about a year.
        (!) I found a few other sites, but they either said flat out their
        buckets and pails were not designed to be watertight, or if you want
        watertight, you must coat the inside with wax or something.
        Traditionally, cooperage made correctly would be wetted to swell the
        wood and make the piece watertight, and then kept wet, as repeated
        wet/dry cycling would ruin the wood, I've learned. The quest for
        good cooperage which I don't have to wait a year to recieve goes on.

        I thank the list member who pointed to information aiding me to make
        my own, but I am not an advanced woodworker, and there are so many
        other skills I need to learn as well and before cooperage that I'd
        end up waiting till I was too dotty to care before I obtained a
        bucket. :-)

        -Charlie

        <baronconal@y...> wrote:
        > I need two straight sided 'pails' for a
        > larger project I'm working on.
        >
        > I'm working on the second prototype of
        > a waterclock and need two 'period'
        > cylinders so that they fill with water
        > at an even rate.
        >
        > ( details will follow, check in the photo
        > area of the sawdust [page for pics of my
        > first clock. I used PVC for the water tanks
        > and wanted somthing more period and bigger
        > for the next clock )
        >
        > I can't find any information on making
        > a pail or even a barrel.
        >
        > Anyone got any info on doing it yourself?
        >
        > Or short of that did the 'looking for
        > a cooper' email get the asker in touch
        > with a cooper?
        >
        > If I can't find anything I guess I can make
        > a metal cylinder....
        >

        > =====
        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '

        > http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Bruce S. R. Lee
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11 9:31 AM
          From my limited reading on the subject - mainly Joseph Needham's 'Heavenly
          Clockwork', 'The Hall of Heavenly Records' & 'Science & Civilisation in
          China" it seems that the real thing did use metal cylinders in a wooden
          tower casing - at least east of the Oxus. I'd recommend getting the first
          of these books thru' interlibrary loan - I doubt if you'll still find any
          at 80% off like I did years ago.:-)

          There is an interesting striking mechanism that would be easy to add to
          your clock too.

          If you are dead-keen on making wooden water vessels for your clock, someone
          posted a link to some scanned pages from Fine Woodworking here in the last
          few weeks. Otherwise, just chamfer some boards & use modern glues & add a
          couple of bands of string, metal or whatever - remember that traditional
          wet-coopering relied heavily on forcing tapered, curved boards together &
          keeping them under considerable pressure - by the time barrels are sold out
          of service these days, they are at the point where they need to be
          completely re-built, which is a very skilled job in itself.

          regards
          Brusi
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11 2:08 PM

            > I thank the list member who pointed to information
            > aiding me to make
            > my own...

            I must have missed that...

            =====

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Jim Hart
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14 4:01 AM
              > If you are dead-keen on making wooden water vessels for your clock,
              someone
              > posted a link to some scanned pages from Fine Woodworking here in
              the last
              > few weeks.

              couldn't get the link to work.....
            • Scott Lane
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 15 4:39 PM
                > > If you are dead-keen on making wooden water vessels for your clock,
                >someone
                > > posted a link to some scanned pages from Fine Woodworking here in
                >the last
                > > few weeks.
                >couldn't get the link to work.....

                It's been changed to: