Re: [MedievalSawdust] What to do with an 60' ash tree?

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
      Find a small bandsaw mill(see county ag office) tell him you will buy him a
      new blade($17-$25) if he hit a nail.

      James Cunningham
      Who has 4- 25inch cotton wood logs to saw.

      > The toughest part of dealing with a yard tree in this area is most
      sawmills
      > won't touch them for fear of imbedded metal. The use you have for it would
      > be fine I am thinking ash is tough and relatively flexible.
      > THL Finnr
    • Marit
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
        You can't go past ironbark.
        Cut it to shape when it's fresh cut and let it dry.
        It just gets harder.
        By the time it's dried 15 years you can't drive a nail into it.

        btw What's cotton wood?

        On Yahoo!7
        Photos: Unlimited free storage – keep all your photos in one place!
      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006

          Cottonwood?  It's a poplar like wood in the Eastern US variety, and a darkish poplar in the Black variety that is more prevalent in the Western US.  Softish, easy to work, the black variety is not terribly durable and neither is resistant to rot or insect, sorta like poplar.  When green, they have a disagreeable smell, but seasoned wood is used with food containers.