Re: [MedievalSawdust] What to do with an 60' ash tree?

  • Dan Grabski
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
      Actually, I was thinking spear shafts too. :) Though you could come up with a few good dishing stumps from it as well...

      Dan

      On 9/4/06, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
      I'm guessing tent poles. Jamie and I were thinking of
      making spear shafts.
    • Joseph Paul
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
        Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

        Jamie Blackrose

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
          >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash
          >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

          Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to split, and it makes a
          great anvil stump too.
          THL Finnr

          Get real-time traffic reports with Windows Live Local Search
          http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.336065~-109.392273&style=r&lvl=4&scene=3712634&trfc=1
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
            Find a small bandsaw mill(see county ag office) tell him you will buy him a
            new blade($17-$25) if he hit a nail.

            James Cunningham
            Who has 4- 25inch cotton wood logs to saw.

            > The toughest part of dealing with a yard tree in this area is most
            sawmills
            > won't touch them for fear of imbedded metal. The use you have for it would
            > be fine I am thinking ash is tough and relatively flexible.
            > THL Finnr
          • Earl Ryan
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
              I had an sycamore stump cut off in my workshop I just
              rolled outside because it was leaching some sort ick all
              over my floor and was rusting my anvil.

              Dyderich

              --- Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@...> wrote:

              > >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life,
              > OK? Besides ash
              > >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is
              > probably beter.
              >
              > Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to
              > split, and it makes a
              > great anvil stump too.
              > THL Finnr

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Marit
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                You can't go past ironbark.
                Cut it to shape when it's fresh cut and let it dry.
                It just gets harder.
                By the time it's dried 15 years you can't drive a nail into it.

                btw What's cotton wood?

                On Yahoo!7
                Photos: Unlimited free storage – keep all your photos in one place!
              • C N Schwartz
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006

                  Cottonwood?  It's a poplar like wood in the Eastern US variety, and a darkish poplar in the Black variety that is more prevalent in the Western US.  Softish, easy to work, the black variety is not terribly durable and neither is resistant to rot or insect, sorta like poplar.  When green, they have a disagreeable smell, but seasoned wood is used with food containers.