RE: [MedievalSawdust] What to do with an 60' ash tree?

  • Earl Ryan
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
      I'm probably not going to be able to touch it for almost
      two weeks. Our local group has coronation coming up and
      between that, a kitchen remodel to finish and guest coming
      into town. I'm swamped.

      Dyderich

      --- C N Schwartz <kjworz@...> wrote:

      > Rive it up quick. Split the big section into eighths, at
      > least. You'll
      > need a few metal wedges and some gluts. Then get the
      > bark off and it there
      > is little sapwood, hew that that off too. Maybe the pith
      > as well. If you
      > have a froe you can then get em down to 16th if you want
      > long boards, or
      > long spindles for poles and such.
      >
      > You should at least make a stool from it, ala
      > www.greenwoodworking.com.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dan Grabski
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
        Actually, I was thinking spear shafts too. :) Though you could come up with a few good dishing stumps from it as well...

        Dan

        On 9/4/06, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
        I'm guessing tent poles. Jamie and I were thinking of
        making spear shafts.
      • Joseph Paul
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
          Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

          Jamie Blackrose

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
            >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash
            >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

            Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to split, and it makes a
            great anvil stump too.
            THL Finnr

            Get real-time traffic reports with Windows Live Local Search
            http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.336065~-109.392273&style=r&lvl=4&scene=3712634&trfc=1
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
              Find a small bandsaw mill(see county ag office) tell him you will buy him a
              new blade($17-$25) if he hit a nail.

              James Cunningham
              Who has 4- 25inch cotton wood logs to saw.

              > The toughest part of dealing with a yard tree in this area is most
              sawmills
              > won't touch them for fear of imbedded metal. The use you have for it would
              > be fine I am thinking ash is tough and relatively flexible.
              > THL Finnr
            • Earl Ryan
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                I had an sycamore stump cut off in my workshop I just
                rolled outside because it was leaching some sort ick all
                over my floor and was rusting my anvil.

                Dyderich

                --- Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@...> wrote:

                > >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life,
                > OK? Besides ash
                > >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is
                > probably beter.
                >
                > Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to
                > split, and it makes a
                > great anvil stump too.
                > THL Finnr

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Marit
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                  You can't go past ironbark.
                  Cut it to shape when it's fresh cut and let it dry.
                  It just gets harder.
                  By the time it's dried 15 years you can't drive a nail into it.

                  btw What's cotton wood?

                  On Yahoo!7
                  Photos: Unlimited free storage – keep all your photos in one place!
                • C N Schwartz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006

                    Cottonwood?  It's a poplar like wood in the Eastern US variety, and a darkish poplar in the Black variety that is more prevalent in the Western US.  Softish, easy to work, the black variety is not terribly durable and neither is resistant to rot or insect, sorta like poplar.  When green, they have a disagreeable smell, but seasoned wood is used with food containers.