Re: [MedievalSawdust] What to do with an 60' ash tree?

  • Marit
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2006
      It's a lovely furniture wood

      Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
      Greetings all,

      The local power company decided that the 60' tall 30"
      diameter ash tree in my back yard had to come down. I
      convinced them to leave it in long lengths. So now I have a
      three 20' sections of ash ranging from 30" to 1" in
      diameter.

      I'm thinking of having the large section cut into boards
      and the rest I'm going to hew into beams for building siege
      engines.

      What do you all think?

      Regards,

      Dyderich

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

      On Yahoo!7
      Messenger: Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas.

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
        > What do you all think?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Dyderich

        if the grain runs right, at least
        one self wood longbow

        or if you can't think of anything else
        you can always share ;)

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • C N Schwartz
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006

          Rive it up quick.  Split the big section into eighths, at least.  You'll need a few metal wedges and some gluts.  Then get the bark off and it there is little sapwood, hew that that off too.  Maybe the pith as well.  If you have a froe you can then get em down to 16th if you want long boards, or long spindles for poles and such.

          You should at least make a stool from it, ala www.greenwoodworking.com.

        • Earl Ryan
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
            I'm probably not going to be able to touch it for almost
            two weeks. Our local group has coronation coming up and
            between that, a kitchen remodel to finish and guest coming
            into town. I'm swamped.

            Dyderich

            --- C N Schwartz <kjworz@...> wrote:

            > Rive it up quick. Split the big section into eighths, at
            > least. You'll
            > need a few metal wedges and some gluts. Then get the
            > bark off and it there
            > is little sapwood, hew that that off too. Maybe the pith
            > as well. If you
            > have a froe you can then get em down to 16th if you want
            > long boards, or
            > long spindles for poles and such.
            >
            > You should at least make a stool from it, ala
            > www.greenwoodworking.com.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Dan Grabski
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
              Actually, I was thinking spear shafts too. :) Though you could come up with a few good dishing stumps from it as well...

              Dan

              On 9/4/06, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
              I'm guessing tent poles. Jamie and I were thinking of
              making spear shafts.
            • Joseph Paul
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

                Jamie Blackrose

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                  >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash
                  >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

                  Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to split, and it makes a
                  great anvil stump too.
                  THL Finnr

                  Get real-time traffic reports with Windows Live Local Search
                  http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.336065~-109.392273&style=r&lvl=4&scene=3712634&trfc=1
                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Find a small bandsaw mill(see county ag office) tell him you will buy him a
                    new blade($17-$25) if he hit a nail.

                    James Cunningham
                    Who has 4- 25inch cotton wood logs to saw.

                    > The toughest part of dealing with a yard tree in this area is most
                    sawmills
                    > won't touch them for fear of imbedded metal. The use you have for it would
                    > be fine I am thinking ash is tough and relatively flexible.
                    > THL Finnr
                  • Earl Ryan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                      I had an sycamore stump cut off in my workshop I just
                      rolled outside because it was leaching some sort ick all
                      over my floor and was rusting my anvil.

                      Dyderich

                      --- Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@...> wrote:

                      > >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life,
                      > OK? Besides ash
                      > >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is
                      > probably beter.
                      >
                      > Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to
                      > split, and it makes a
                      > great anvil stump too.
                      > THL Finnr

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Marit
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                        You can't go past ironbark.
                        Cut it to shape when it's fresh cut and let it dry.
                        It just gets harder.
                        By the time it's dried 15 years you can't drive a nail into it.

                        btw What's cotton wood?

                        On Yahoo!7
                        Photos: Unlimited free storage – keep all your photos in one place!
                      • C N Schwartz
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006

                          Cottonwood?  It's a poplar like wood in the Eastern US variety, and a darkish poplar in the Black variety that is more prevalent in the Western US.  Softish, easy to work, the black variety is not terribly durable and neither is resistant to rot or insect, sorta like poplar.  When green, they have a disagreeable smell, but seasoned wood is used with food containers.