Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Safety Note

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2003
      Magnus wrote:
      >> Some people have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

      ALlRIGHT!!! WHO RATTED ME OUT!!! (… a very bad accidental 12 year old
      experience. I'd run my fingers through a bandsaw again before I'd repeat
      that one!!!) Wow… there is NOTHING more painful…

      Chas. (who is suddenly somewhat amazed that he's still alive after all these
      years…)
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2003
        >Chas. (who is suddenly somewhat amazed that he's still alive after all these
        >years…)

        Think how your mother must feel! ;-)

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        www.albionworks.net
        www.albionworks.com
      • rmhowe
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 17, 2003
          Tim Bray wrote:
          >>Chas. (who is suddenly somewhat amazed that he's still
          >>alive after all these years…)
          >
          > Think how your mother must feel! ;-)
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Colin

          I retired before my mother died but I still have all ten
          fingers in full working order. I'm no Roy Underhill but
          I do have numerous small scars from knives, chisels,
          and various other sharp things including fletching from
          arrows. Never severed a controlling nerve. Roy shoots 3
          episodes most days, or did when I knew him, but I can
          practically guarantee you he's bled by the end of the day.
          The 20th year episode chronicles some of this. It's his
          defining modus operandi.

          Lord knows what Norm's done. I guess you can't sell
          measured drawrings well if you're bleeding on camera.
          The wife won't let you buy it.

          A few of the dumb things that can happen to you if you
          make things full time for many years...

          Glasses or a safety shield saved my eyes multiple
          times, including from a spray of molten type metal
          that left 100-150 dots stuck on the lenses, someone's bolt
          flying from a grinder, and a bar clamp end that
          was attached to a furniture case someone I was talking to
          flipped into me without thinking. A faceshield once stopped
          a wakisashi blade that bit into a sanding drum. The thing
          was brought back from the Philippines totally rusted
          and missing the tsuba. It was what I had at the time
          for removing rust at home. It hit the top of the face
          shield in front of my forehead edge-on. 70's.

          Did I mention I will only wear polycarbonate lenses?
          Ordinary acrylic lenses are 5 times tougher than
          glass. Polycarbonate [Lexan] is 125 times tougher.
          They are also a lot lighter. I had some add-on
          side covers that clipped onto them.

          It's not just the idiotic things we do, it's
          what the idiots around us do as well. That bar
          clamp could well have taken out my eye. The scratch
          on the polycarbonate lens was quite deep. We were
          making early American furniture repros at the time.
          That was a heavy case.

          One day I was welding up a 24 x 24 x 48" polypropylene
          tank and I wasn't using power tools at that moment so
          I took off the face shield - easier to breathe.
          I used to be able to wear hard contacts. I was then.
          Anyway, I got a bubble under one of the stick welds
          and I heated it and pressed on it with the side of
          an x-acto knife to seal it. The knife blade broke
          {I didn't think I was pushing that hard) and struck
          me directly in the left contact splitting it into
          six pieces, some of which flew out of and some of
          which went up inside the lid of my eye. At that
          particular moment I was standing there in the middle
          of thousands of semi-transparent flakes of polypropylene
          from routing it [Used a faceshield then.] Timing is
          everything. A needle in a stack of needles.

          I'm standing there thinking that my contact lens may be
          on the floor and whole, and that the knife blade may
          just be sticking into my eye. It felt like it.
          So I yell, and eventually two goobs come around the wall
          from the vacuumforming room.
          "Is the knifeblade stuck in my eye?" No.

          "Can you find my contact somewhere around me without
          breaking it?" Yep. Eventually they found two pieces of it.

          We got the rest of it out of my eye. Driving home
          one-eyed in rush hour traffic through town was
          interesting.

          Here's where I really screwed up. I should have seen
          an eye doctor immediately for treatment not two days later.
          We had no insurance other than workman's comp.

          The cornea and eye were slightly scratched. I got a viral
          infection that spread to both eyes and took 8 months
          to treat, I nearly went blind because of it in -both- eyes
          as they connect to each other in a Y behind them.
          An injury in one can cost you both. I didn't know that.
          I can't wear contacts now because as a result - my
          eyes won't produce enough liquid to float them anymore.
          The alternative would be to wear contacts and rot the
          corneas as that is the one place in the body not
          supplied by the bloodstream but fed by the tear solution.
          Those proteins are the 'floaters' you sometimes notice.

          Oh yeah, I got in the habit of always carrying eye drop
          solution. Helped me [and others] with various dusts and
          bits in our eyes a lot over the years. Some things will
          bounce around the lenses/even faceshield at times.
          Like off your nose.

          Bits of stuff fly worse than Tinkerbelle at times.

          I was in a bookstore one night in the technical area
          when this woman started talking about how much her
          family loved the Woodwright's Shop. About two weeks
          later Roy was filming an episode at the Raleigh NC
          State Fairgrounds Fleamarket - in my old friend's
          Jesse Stuart's booth about buying old tools. Jesse's
          been dead close to fifteen years now. A Colonel who'd
          been shot in the heart in Korean combat and survived.

          Right before Roy went in front of the camera I mentioned
          to him how much this woman really liked him. Of course he
          was eating it up - "She said her whole family just
          loves you - how you magically flit about the shop and
          make all sorts of things - said they call you the 'Wood Fairy'!"
          Still beet red on camera two minutes later. ;)

          I may see him again here in Raleigh at the July MWTCA meeting.
          He filmed it last year - Fools for Tools episode. My wife
          managed to misplace the mailed meeting notice and I missed it.
          Well, there went my fifteen seconds of immortality.

          If this was radio, and it reached forever into outer space
          I damn well guarantee you Marvin Martian really would bomb
          the place. Email can drive you nuts. Maybe Bugs Bunny would
          be effective in Iraq.

          Magnus
        • rmhowe
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 19, 2003
            John LaTorre wrote:

            > Master Charles ("Three Fingers") wrote:
            >>Well. OK, there I was. Wed afternoon. turnin' bowls on my lathe.
            >
            > <tragic tale snipped>
            >
            >>THIS NOTE IS BEING PUT UP AS A SAFTY REMINDER.
            >
            > Well, since this is "true confessions" time, and to make Master Charles
            > feel a little better, I went and did something foolish last March. I tried
            > to plane a small block of wood (tail block for a hurdy-gurdy) on a jointer
            > and the wood caught, kicked back, and took off the last eighth of an inch
            > from my right index finger (including the end of the nail). I didn't know
            > jointers could kick back.

            On saws and jointers it's always better to keep as many fingers as
            possible hooked over the top of the fence. Which is exactly why
            Biesemeyer and some other wide fences have high faceplates.
            Less chance of your hand being dragged in. There might be something
            left with a tablesaw, with a jointer you are just ground meat
            and they are going to have to remove more or pull a patch off
            some other part of your poor pitiful ass to close the wound.

            I seem to remember being smacked with the back end of a jointed
            piece that was too short once. Caught me in the heel of the
            hand. Nothing worse than a slight bruise. Seems like it was
            short grain going out the side. I've owned four. I have set
            and worked on many up to 14" wide and eight feet long.

            Learning -how- to use a jointer is a distinct art.
            I don't have time to expound on it now.
            A lot of it has to do with hand pressure that is shifted
            as you work.

            Somewhere I also have an old article on learning to tune
            your bandsaw. A lot seriously need it. I have adjusted
            and rebuilt a number of them up to 36".

            Incidentally, a pack of cards is a great thing to have around
            to true your tablesaw fence with to make it straight. Test with a good
            level or straight edge, loosen screws, insert cards or paper
            and retighten. Test with a square as well. It should be 90
            degrees to the table.

            A really good book(s) to buy is Delta's 'How to get the most
            out of your (Tablesaw, scrollsaw, jointer, bandsaw, lathe etc.).
            I have most of them myself. Rosario Capotosto's books for
            Shopsmith and other machinery is where you learn the most
            tricks. See old write-up below.

            Master Magnus, OL [SCA], GDH, Manx, Regia.org

            > Come to think of it, the guy who sold me the jointer had nine fingers. I
            > wonder if, once these things taste human blood...

            This was good advice once, with new people it can't hurt to
            give it again, it's been a year or two:

            Authors I highly recommend are Rosario J. DeCristoforo's books on
            woodworking machinery techniques, Paul Hasluck's books on
            -everything- (you may think I'm kidding - I'm not), Holtzapffel's
            lathe work and abrasive applications and working odd materials books
            (5), most anything by the early Audel Guides (pre-50's)
            -in particular- the Audels Carpenters and Builders Guides 1-4 by
            Frank Graham, Aldren A. Watson's Country Furniture, Hand tools,
            Village Blacksmith, (don't take -some- of the techniques in his
            Furniture making Plain and Simple as gospel, he was mostly an
            accomplished illustrator similar to Irving Sloane), and -anything-
            by Fred T. Hodgson. Alexander Weygers' modern books on blacksmithing
            are also useful for beginners (as is Sam Allen's Edge of the Anvil).
            The three of them have been recombined into one now. I have the
            older editions. Many of these men were simply geniuses of their
            times and largely unmatched in ours.

            R.J. DeCristoforo showed machinery manufacturers new techniques they'd
            never envisioned for their machinery. The man wrote many books and
            thousands of articles for technical magazines. Many of his furniture
            building/remodelling designs are very dated to their decades though,
            so I don't recommend buying those as strongly as I do the Power
            Tool Woodworking for Everyone (something written largely for
            Shopsmith machine owners but good none the less) and most especially
            _DeCristoforo's Complete Book of Power Tools_. Sadly the man passed
            away a few years ago. His son writes now, but so far is not as
            good as his dad. Maybe he'll improve a lot like Norm Abrams has.
            (Norm Abrams has more tools donated to his show than any shop I ever
            worked in had, including the university. The shop he works in
            belongs to his producer btw. Rosario could school him quite a bit
            regardless.)

            Don't assume I'm talking strictly carpentry books here, some of
            these guys wrote on many trades applications. And the older Delta
            Guides books on machinery applications are extremely good.
            How to use your Table saw, Scroll saw, Band saw, Jointer, Lathe, etc.
            Popular Mechanics and Popular Science used to write multiple annuals
            on woodworking, metalworking, and projects like What to Make
            for decades that are amazing magazines and books.
            These authors cover everything from hand techniques to modern
            machinery techniques with tools you'd never imagine. Mass production
            put an end to such creativity - things people would do for fun
            prior to the television and computers. We had very skilled ancestors
            who made what they needed instead of buying it frequently.
            For younger folks the Boy Mechanic books (4) were quite something.
            Lindsay books sells some of them, so does http://www.leevalley.com/

            http://www.lindsaybks.com/
            Lindsay Publications, Inc.
            P.O.Box 538 Bradley, IL 60915-0538
            (fax 815) 935-5447
            (815) 935-5353 phone
            lindsay@...

            For modern books on traditional techniques I would recommend any of
            the five books by Roy Underhill in the Woodwright's series - a
            term he coined - a wright is a worker in wood - just as a smith
            is a worker in metal. Buy a good box of bandages. Roy uses a lot
            of them. Had I invested in Johnson & Johnson prior to his shop
            work I'd be a rich man.;) He is now Head of Historical Interpretation
            at Colonial Williamsburg, was the head carpenter there, and has
            filmed 200 episodes of the Woodwright's Shop. 1-800-PlayPBS.
            1-800-693-3939 http://www.shop.pbs.org/ search Woodwright’s Shop

            Some I have bought in past years before they disappeared:

            Special Collection: Weald and Downland Open Air Museum, Sussex
            England 1988.
            Franconia Farm and Handiwork Musum I + II Iphofen, Bavaria 1988.
            Running time: 1:24: 36.
            WW001: Roy’s Special Collections: Williamsburg Craftsmen 1991.
            Running time 79:38
            WW010: Boatbuilding - Running time 1: 27: 13. 1993. Season 20:
            2002: Turned Corner Chair; Item Code WOWS9202 $14.95
            "Inspired by Bruegel paintings, this easily-stored, lathe-turned,
            three-legged chair features a solid seat
            style that has held hefty humans since the middle ages, running
            time 26: 46.
            2000 - 1912: Wayne Barton - Master Chip Carver, Running Time 26:46.
            1-1309: The Geddy Foundry of Williamsburg, Running Time 26:46.
            WW012: Norway Episodes, Running Time 60 minutes
            1312 Lilihamer Open Air Museum
            1313 Oslo - Ship Museum + Folk Museum + Stavekirk.
            Norwegian Axe Framing and Log Cabins.
            1512: Williamsburg Trunk Maker - Saddler’s Shop. 1995.
            Running Time 26:46. Mostly leatherwork and stitching.
            1805: Debate of the Carpenter’s Tools, 1998. Running Time 26:46.
            2008: Marquetry Master Patrick Edwards, Season 20 WOWS9208
            "French 18th-century "ebinestes" made furniture decorated
            with pictures composed from thin sheets of colored wood.
            Trained in Paris, Patrick Edwards shows the tools and
            techniques of this lost art." $14.95 Running Time 26:46.
            1913: Buckets for Beginners, 1999. Running Time 26:46.
            9302: Welsh Chair Bodger Don Weber, Season 21,
            "Roy builds a brilliant base for anyone's bottom, using
            basic badgering, boiling, bending and boring in the
            wonderful Welsh way of working wood." $14.50 4/01/03
            9409: Williamsburg Wheelwright, Season 22, "Learn the exacting
            trade of the men who make wooden wheels for Williamsburg's wagons."
            $14.50 4/01/03
            9413: Craftsmen of Old Sturbridge Village, Season 22, Explore the new
            woodworking shop at Old Sturbridge Village where the planes get
            fancy." $14.50 4/01/03
            9209: In the Blacksmith Shop, Season 20, "Join Roy and the
            blacksmiths at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, and learn how to
            forge colonial hardware, tools and implements." $14.50 4/01/03
            9211: Carving With the Cabinetmakers, Season 20. Roy visits the
            cabinetmakers of the Hay Shop at Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, as
            they show off their skills at decorative
            carving in the Colonial American style." $14.50 4/01/03
            9312: Flintlock Gunsmith, Season 21. Watch Williamsburg workers wrest a
            wonderful watchwork weapon of walnut and wrought steel to wound a
            wascally wabbit or worrisome wedcoat. (Taped in Colonial
            Williamsburg)" $14.50 4/01/03
            I've been to Williamsburg twice and have about 600 pictures of the
            various recreated tools, wheelbarrows, wagons, implements excavated.
            Same with the 2 Jamestown Parks and the Glass House.

            Anything by Drew Langsner, who teaches at his Country Workshops,
            here in North Carolina, USA. This would include his Country Woodcraft,
            Green Woodworking, Handmade (his first one), and Chair Making books.
            These are all hand techniques. He predates Roy on some of them.

            While these books are all from the last two centuries they are all
            extremely useful books, especially considering most of the folks
            on this list are not hacking trees generally to size with axes
            and hand mortise chisels nowadays to build their reproductions.
            You want to find out how to accomplish your tasks with what is
            now available - look to the above authors.