What to do with an 60' ash tree?

  • Earl Ryan
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3 8:10 PM
      Greetings all,

      The local power company decided that the 60' tall 30"
      diameter ash tree in my back yard had to come down. I
      convinced them to leave it in long lengths. So now I have a
      three 20' sections of ash ranging from 30" to 1" in
      diameter.

      I'm thinking of having the large section cut into boards
      and the rest I'm going to hew into beams for building siege
      engines.

      What do you all think?

      Regards,

      Dyderich

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dan Grabski
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3 8:29 PM
        You mean the ash borers didn't get to it? :)

        If you end up with any pieces about 1.5 to 2" diameter, around 6 to 8 feet long, that you can't find a use for, let me know.

        Dan

        On 9/3/06, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
        Greetings all,

        The local power company decided that the 60' tall 30"
        diameter ash tree in my back yard had to come down. I
        convinced them to leave it in long lengths. So now I have a
        three 20' sections of ash ranging from 30" to 1" in
        diameter.

        I'm thinking of having the large section cut into boards
        and the rest I'm going to hew into beams for building siege
        engines.

        What do you all think?

        Regards,

        Dyderich
      • Arthur Slaughter
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3 9:04 PM
          The toughest part of dealing with a yard tree in this area is most sawmills
          won't touch them for fear of imbedded metal. The use you have for it would
          be fine I am thinking ash is tough and relatively flexible.
          THL Finnr

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3 9:28 PM
            I'm guessing tent poles. Jamie and I were thinking of
            making spear shafts.

            --- Dan Grabski <dgrabski@...> wrote:

            > You mean the ash borers didn't get to it? :)
            >
            > If you end up with any pieces about 1.5 to 2" diameter,
            > around 6 to 8 feet
            > long, that you can't find a use for, let me know.
            >
            > Dan
            >

            > On 9/3/06, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings all,
            > >
            > > The local power company decided that the 60' tall 30"
            > > diameter ash tree in my back yard had to come down. I
            > > convinced them to leave it in long lengths. So now I
            > have a
            > > three 20' sections of ash ranging from 30" to 1" in
            > > diameter.
            > >
            > > I'm thinking of having the large section cut into
            > boards
            > > and the rest I'm going to hew into beams for building
            > siege
            > > engines.
            > >
            > > What do you all think?
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Dyderich

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Marit
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3 11:24 PM
              It's a lovely furniture wood

              Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
              Greetings all,

              The local power company decided that the 60' tall 30"
              diameter ash tree in my back yard had to come down. I
              convinced them to leave it in long lengths. So now I have a
              three 20' sections of ash ranging from 30" to 1" in
              diameter.

              I'm thinking of having the large section cut into boards
              and the rest I'm going to hew into beams for building siege
              engines.

              What do you all think?

              Regards,

              Dyderich

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              On Yahoo!7
              Messenger: Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas.

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4 5:21 AM
                > What do you all think?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Dyderich

                if the grain runs right, at least
                one self wood longbow

                or if you can't think of anything else
                you can always share ;)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • C N Schwartz
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4 8:57 AM

                  Rive it up quick.  Split the big section into eighths, at least.  You'll need a few metal wedges and some gluts.  Then get the bark off and it there is little sapwood, hew that that off too.  Maybe the pith as well.  If you have a froe you can then get em down to 16th if you want long boards, or long spindles for poles and such.

                  You should at least make a stool from it, ala www.greenwoodworking.com.

                • Earl Ryan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 4 3:20 PM
                    I'm probably not going to be able to touch it for almost
                    two weeks. Our local group has coronation coming up and
                    between that, a kitchen remodel to finish and guest coming
                    into town. I'm swamped.

                    Dyderich

                    --- C N Schwartz <kjworz@...> wrote:

                    > Rive it up quick. Split the big section into eighths, at
                    > least. You'll
                    > need a few metal wedges and some gluts. Then get the
                    > bark off and it there
                    > is little sapwood, hew that that off too. Maybe the pith
                    > as well. If you
                    > have a froe you can then get em down to 16th if you want
                    > long boards, or
                    > long spindles for poles and such.
                    >
                    > You should at least make a stool from it, ala
                    > www.greenwoodworking.com.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Dan Grabski
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 4 3:33 PM
                      Actually, I was thinking spear shafts too. :) Though you could come up with a few good dishing stumps from it as well...

                      Dan

                      On 9/4/06, Earl Ryan <dyderich@...> wrote:
                      I'm guessing tent poles. Jamie and I were thinking of
                      making spear shafts.
                    • Joseph Paul
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 4 5:09 PM
                        Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

                        Jamie Blackrose

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 4 8:14 PM
                          >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life, OK? Besides ash
                          >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is probably beter.

                          Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to split, and it makes a
                          great anvil stump too.
                          THL Finnr

                          Get real-time traffic reports with Windows Live Local Search
                          http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.336065~-109.392273&style=r&lvl=4&scene=3712634&trfc=1
                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 4 8:34 PM
                            Find a small bandsaw mill(see county ag office) tell him you will buy him a
                            new blade($17-$25) if he hit a nail.

                            James Cunningham
                            Who has 4- 25inch cotton wood logs to saw.

                            > The toughest part of dealing with a yard tree in this area is most
                            sawmills
                            > won't touch them for fear of imbedded metal. The use you have for it would
                            > be fine I am thinking ash is tough and relatively flexible.
                            > THL Finnr
                          • Earl Ryan
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 4 8:54 PM
                              I had an sycamore stump cut off in my workshop I just
                              rolled outside because it was leaching some sort ick all
                              over my floor and was rusting my anvil.

                              Dyderich

                              --- Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@...> wrote:

                              > >>Let's not waste the length on the short things in life,
                              > OK? Besides ash
                              > >probably isn't that good for a dishing form. Maple is
                              > probably beter.
                              >
                              > Elm would be even better, blasted near impossible to
                              > split, and it makes a
                              > great anvil stump too.
                              > THL Finnr

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Marit
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 5 12:32 AM
                                You can't go past ironbark.
                                Cut it to shape when it's fresh cut and let it dry.
                                It just gets harder.
                                By the time it's dried 15 years you can't drive a nail into it.

                                btw What's cotton wood?

                                On Yahoo!7
                                Photos: Unlimited free storage – keep all your photos in one place!
                              • C N Schwartz
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 5 3:05 PM

                                  Cottonwood?  It's a poplar like wood in the Eastern US variety, and a darkish poplar in the Black variety that is more prevalent in the Western US.  Softish, easy to work, the black variety is not terribly durable and neither is resistant to rot or insect, sorta like poplar.  When green, they have a disagreeable smell, but seasoned wood is used with food containers.