Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tent Pole Finish Question

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006

      Varnish (or shellac) also has strong "period" associations.   But good ol' paint (something matte) is good and is probably the closest to what a medieval treatment might have been (natural wood with a sealant to protect and to enhance the grain is more of a Victorian obsession as I understand it.) ... my old poles were green... the new ones a vibrant blue.  Used a good acrylic paint (spray)...  the old green ones were fine for nearly 10 years...  they're still being used by their new owner unless he's repainted them.

      No treatment is going to be totally 'maintenance free'...  if you want a consistent pristine appearance... but, nicks, dings, scrapes, fading paint, gouges and other signs of wear an tear... IN MY OPINION, add character and *aging* to the material... gives it a patina of legitimacy that... well... ya' just can't get without using the darn stuff...

      ... but, that's just my opinion.  Yer' milage may vary...