Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tent Pole Finish Question

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2006
      you want a bit of period realism?  boiled linseed.  soak, wipe dry, wait 5 minutes, wipe dry, wait an hour, wipe dry, wait a day, wipe dry, wait a week, wipe dry, and you shouldnt have any sticking or bleeding.

      On 9/2/06, Chad Hamilton <chad.laurie@...> wrote:
      Hello All,

      I just started a little project.  It started off with routing a 1/2 round over on my tent poles for my Panther Pavilion.  I sanded every pole and now the poles are ready to be finished.

      My question is what should the poles be finished with.  My ideas are exterior house paint, staining and lacquer, or deck stain/poly finish.

      My biggest concern is that the poles will be stacked one atop the other for the 11 months that they will be stored in my trailer.  I'm worried that the finish will make the poles stick to each other and make it worst.  I'm also concerned about the stain bleeding off when the poles get wet or when there is standing water.

      Ælfwine se Pyttel

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2006

        Varnish (or shellac) also has strong "period" associations.   But good ol' paint (something matte) is good and is probably the closest to what a medieval treatment might have been (natural wood with a sealant to protect and to enhance the grain is more of a Victorian obsession as I understand it.) ... my old poles were green... the new ones a vibrant blue.  Used a good acrylic paint (spray)...  the old green ones were fine for nearly 10 years...  they're still being used by their new owner unless he's repainted them.

        No treatment is going to be totally 'maintenance free'...  if you want a consistent pristine appearance... but, nicks, dings, scrapes, fading paint, gouges and other signs of wear an tear... IN MY OPINION, add character and *aging* to the material... gives it a patina of legitimacy that... well... ya' just can't get without using the darn stuff...

        ... but, that's just my opinion.  Yer' milage may vary...