Other Caber Press Books

  • Tracie Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2003
      Does anyone have experience with Jack Thompson's Ancient
      Locks & Keys? Does it go back far enough to be useful for
      SCA period?

      -- Signy

      >http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
      >Thompson Conservation Lab.
      >7549 N. Fenwick
      >Portland, Oregon 97217
      >USA
      >503/735-3942 (ph/fax)
      >http://home.teleport.com/~tcl 1/03
      >*He is not a morning person.
      >That is the west coast too.

    • rmhowe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2003
        Tracie Brown wrote:
        > Does anyone have experience with Jack Thompson's Ancient
        > Locks & Keys? Does it go back far enough to be useful for
        > SCA period?
        >
        > -- Signy

        I do. I'm the one who sent the manuscript to Jack Thompson.

        I also sent him the English Medieval Chests articles to
        make that book from.

        [I doubt if it will succeed but I have been trying to
        complete Master Finnr's final project of getting
        Arthur MacGregor's Bone, Antler, Ivory, and Horn [1985]
        completed. He mentioned it to me in an email shortly before
        he died but I believe at this point Finnr was being strung
        along. I bought his book but MacGregor hasn't replied at
        the only address [possibly not the one Finnr was using]
        that I have been able to find for him. Maybe Jack will
        have more luck. I appear to have wasted well over a $100
        and many hours on it.] At least it helped his widow and
        brother who are stuck with the costs of two funerals
        with no insurance. I personally have sent her $110 and
        bought $240 worth of his books. The MacGregor book was
        a duplicate of mine bought for reprinting, as Finnr seemed
        quite positive on the possibility of MacGregor authorizing a
        reprint. It's kind of the Bible on skeletal materials
        work. Very different from his York book of nearly the
        same title. Finnr had been in touch with both MacGregor
        and with Thompson but never connected the two together.
        The book is now with Jack.]

        The original Ancient Keys and Locks was a rapidly
        deteriorating book I borrowed from the Chicago Public
        Library written in 1883 work by British General
        Pitt-Rivers who formed the Pitt-Rivers collection at Oxford.
        There are a variety of ancient to newer lock types
        illustrated both in metal and wood.
        Jack contributed two lock articles he had to it
        and I contributed a bibliography of locks in books
        I've found, mostly own, that covers from Roman through
        medieval times.

        It doesn't have more locks I found in 2 other Helgo books
        besides the one I cited or the ones in Medieval Winchester;
        Object and Economy [which is a huge $450 2 volume set
        that details the objects found at Winchester. I have it,
        but I have not had time to completely dissect it for
        citations - probably take me days.]. It does have a
        3 1/2 or 4 page bibliography from many sources.

        For the money it's a good deal. For the illustrations
        and bibliography it's a good deal. AFAIK no one had
        put together one before for reenactment use. The books
        that include locks either have very few or are very
        expensive quite often.

        Master Magnus, OL, GDH, Regia