Re: [MedievalSawdust] Building and towing a cart

  • Marit
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 29, 2006
      The smaller wheels at the front are easier for steering due to having less inertia than the larger rear ones.

      Helen Schultz <helen.schultz@...> wrote:
      Thanks so much for the links... The Colonial Trading company even had another small "pumpkin" wagon I could adapt, that used dowels for the side rails.  Does anyone know why one would need to have different sized wheels for this type of cart??  I notice that all the examples of actual carts had smaller ones on the front and larger ones on the back.

      And, I agree, those plastic ones in your last link do look good in their image, but it can't be enlarged further <sigh>.  If it met my purpose, the price IS not bad (considering the other options offered).  I don't know how successfully I could make some of my own, as I don't have a lot of experience making round things, nor do I have many "precision" tools <sheepish grin>.

      About the other comments on the list about a harness... not sure a 5'2" tall woman in 14th c clothing would look too feminine with a harness while shopping around Pennsic <wry grin>.  I don't have many hills to have to maneuver from where I usually camp, but there is at least one slight one getting into the food court and the other up by Cooper's Store (which is a bit of a down-slope on the way out after getting ice).

      ~~ Katarina Helene