The Motherlode of Chests

  • Gary R. Halstead
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 26, 2006
      Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want this
      book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time to do
      more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough information here
      to keep us making chests for years.

      Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
      Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
      Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X

      A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from convents
      in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of construction
      techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
      hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of photos.
      Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
      dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of the
      chests with other northern European chests of similar construction.
      Short sections on tools and wood conversion.

      Ranulf
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
        Wow... That'd be an extremely interesting one to get my hands on. Will
        start looking for it immediately!

        Thanks, Gary

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Gary R. Halstead"
        <ghalstead@...> wrote:

        > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want this
        > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time
        to do
        > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough information
        here
        > to keep us making chests for years.
        >
        > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
        > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
        > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
        >
        > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from
        convents
        > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of construction
        > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
        > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of
        photos.
        > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
        > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of the
        > chests with other northern European chests of similar construction.
        > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
        >
        > Ranulf

      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Ranaulf wrote:
          > >
          > > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want
          this
          > > book. [...]
          > > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
          > > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
          > > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X

          According to Worldcat.org, it's held by the following libraries:

          1. Cambridge University Cambridge, CB3 9DR United Kingdom
          2. Koninklijke Bibliotheek Den Haag, 2595 BE Netherlands
          3. Library of Congress Washington, DC 20540 United States
          4. National Art Library Victoria & Albert Mus London, SW7 2RL United
          Kingdom
          5. New York Public Library - Research New York, NY 10018 United
          States
          6. Staats und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen Gottingen, D-37070
          Germany
          7. Stanford University Library Stanford, CA 94305 United States
          8. University of Arizona Tucson, AZ 85720 United States
          9. University of Notre Dame Notre Dame, IN 46556 United States
          10. Yale University Library New Haven, CT 06520 United States

          (in other words, someone whose ILL is through a major university is
          probably going to be more likely to get their hands on it...)

          Gillian Durham
        • Rapier3971@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
            Any ideas where to get it or where to start looking?
            Pepin
          • sdv1964
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
              Just bought a copy can't wait to get it.

              Steve

              <ghalstead@...> wrote:

              > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want
              this
              > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time
              to do
              > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough
              information here
              > to keep us making chests for years.
              >
              > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
              > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
              > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
              >
              > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from
              convents
              > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of
              construction
              > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
              > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of
              photos.
              > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
              > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of
              the
              > chests with other northern European chests of similar
              construction.
              > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
              >
              > Ranulf

            • Gregor MacDonald
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
                Where did you get it?

                <ghalstead@...> wrote:

                > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want
                this
                > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time
                to do
                > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough
                information here
                > to keep us making chests for years.
                >
                > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                >
                > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from
                convents
                > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of
                construction
                > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
                > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of
                photos.
                > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
                > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of
                the
                > chests with other northern European chests of similar
                construction.
                > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
                >
                > Ranulf

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Steve Vaught
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
                  abe books.com

                  Steve

                  Where did you get it?

                  <ghalstead@. ..> wrote:

                  > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want
                  this
                  > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time
                  to do
                  > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough
                  information here
                  > to keep us making chests for years.
                  >
                  > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                  > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                  > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81- X
                  >
                  > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from
                  convents
                  > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of
                  construction
                  > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
                  > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of
                  photos.
                  > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
                  > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of
                  the
                  > chests with other northern European chests of similar
                  construction.
                  > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
                  >
                  > Ranulf

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jeff Johnson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
                    Steve, old friend - you stink. ;p

                    Scheiße! Over $100.

                    Any chance I could get you to bring it to PP for a peek before I buy one?

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "sdv1964" <sdv1964@...> wrote:

                    > Just bought a copy can't wait to get it.
                    >
                    > Steve
                    >

                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Gary R. Halstead"
                    > <ghalstead@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want
                    > this
                    > > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time
                    > to do
                    > > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough
                    > information here
                    > > to keep us making chests for years.
                    > >
                    > > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                    > > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                    > > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                    > >
                    > > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from
                    > convents
                    > > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of
                    > construction
                    > > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
                    > > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of
                    > photos.
                    > > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
                    > > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of
                    > the
                    > > chests with other northern European chests of similar
                    > construction.
                    > > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
                    > >
                    > > Ranulf

                  • Gregor MacDonald
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
                      Expensive!!!

                      Got the cheapest one I could find anyways.....110 after shipping.

                      I saw amazon had one for 200+
                      OUCH!!!!

                      I really look forward to getting mine as well. I will post a personal review
                      one I have seen it if eople like.

                      Gregor MacDonald
                      Caid

                      Any chance I could get you to bring it to PP for a peek before I buy one?

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "sdv1964" <sdv1964@...> wrote:

                      > Just bought a copy can't wait to get it.
                      >
                      > Steve
                      >

                      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Gary R. Halstead"
                      > <ghalstead@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want
                      > this
                      > > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time
                      > to do
                      > > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough
                      > information here
                      > > to keep us making chests for years.
                      > >
                      > > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                      > > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                      > > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                      > >
                      > > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from
                      > convents
                      > > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of
                      > construction
                      > > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
                      > > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of
                      > photos.
                      > > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
                      > > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of
                      > the
                      > > chests with other northern European chests of similar
                      > construction.
                      > > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
                      > >
                      > > Ranulf

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Steve Vaught
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
                        Jeff,

                        Paid 40.00 for the book and 24.00 for the shipping

                        Steve

                        By the way which rubber pole ax did you buy?  The SCA one or the WMA one?

                      • JBRMM266@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 27, 2006
                          In a message dated 8/26/2006 9:49:13 AM Eastern Standard Time, ghalstead@... writes:
                          Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich.  Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                          Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung.  Cloppenburg:
                          Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000.  ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                          Am I to conclude that it's written in German?

                        • ghalstead@adelphia.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 28, 2006
                            Mine was only about $60 with shipping.

                            Ranulf

                          • ghalstead@adelphia.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 28, 2006
                              It's in German. On the other hand, it is copiously illustrated (pictures on every page) and you won't need that much German to read the captions.

                              Ranulf

                              (Who really needs to get his "Research for the Monolingual" class written up an posted).

                              ---- JBRMM266@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 8/26/2006 9:49:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              > ghalstead@... writes:
                              >
                              > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                              > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                              > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                              >

                              > Am I to conclude that it's written in German?

                            • Copernicus Skygazer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
                                Hmmm. Well, I searched abebooks.com, used.addall.com, booksamillion.com
                                and only found a mention of the book on amazon.de but none in stock. I
                                tried by author, ISBN and title. Can anyone give me a lead on where a used
                                copy of this is for sale? (Preferably send it to my email, pretty please?
                                ;)

                                Thanks,
                                Phillip the Skeptic

                                On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Gary R. Halstead wrote:

                                > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want this
                                > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time to do
                                > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough information here
                                > to keep us making chests for years.
                                >
                                > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                                > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                                > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                                >
                                > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from convents
                                > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of construction
                                > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
                                > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of photos.
                                > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
                                > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of the
                                > chests with other northern European chests of similar construction.
                                > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
                                >
                                > Ranulf
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Gregor MacDonald
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
                                  I think I got the last one on abebooks.com. Last one I saw after that was
                                  through Amazon.com or was it .de and was 200+

                                  Keep looking....one will show up again eventually

                                  Hmmm. Well, I searched abebooks.com, used.addall.com, booksamillion.com
                                  and only found a mention of the book on amazon.de but none in stock. I
                                  tried by author, ISBN and title. Can anyone give me a lead on where a used
                                  copy of this is for sale? (Preferably send it to my email, pretty please?
                                  ;)

                                  Thanks,
                                  Phillip the Skeptic

                                  On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Gary R. Halstead wrote:

                                  > Those of you interested in medieval chest construction will want this
                                  > book. We're in the middle of packing/moving so I haven't had time to do
                                  > more than scan it a couple of times, but there's enough information here
                                  > to keep us making chests for years.
                                  >
                                  > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen der Luneburger
                                  > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung. Cloppenburg:
                                  > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN 3-923675-81-X
                                  >
                                  > A study of a couple of hundred 13-16 C. clamp front chests from convents
                                  > in northern Germany. Includes detailed examination of construction
                                  > techniques including closeups and exploded drawings, a study of
                                  > hardware, and a typology of decorative styles. Lots and lots of photos.
                                  > Identifies different regional construction styles. Includes a
                                  > dendrochronological study of the chests and a comparative study of the
                                  > chests with other northern European chests of similar construction.
                                  > Short sections on tools and wood conversion.
                                  >
                                  > Ranulf
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Karl Christoffers
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
                                    Um, you _are_ going to give us a review? So we can
                                    know whether it is worth the $200 the Amazon.com mob
                                    wants for their copy. (The only one abebooks or
                                    bookfinder could locate, though my lack of an umlaut
                                    might have something to do with that.

                                    -Malcolm

                                    p.s. I have found my copy of WoodenBoat with the
                                    article on "Building a Proper Ice Chest" which I will
                                    post about in the next week or so.) -M

                                    --- ghalstead@... wrote:

                                    > It's in German. On the other hand, it is copiously
                                    > illustrated (pictures on every page) and you won't
                                    > need that much German to read the captions.
                                    >
                                    > Ranulf
                                    >
                                    > (Who really needs to get his "Research for the
                                    > Monolingual" class written up an posted).
                                    >
                                    > ---- JBRMM266@... wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > In a message dated 8/26/2006 9:49:13 AM Eastern
                                    > Standard Time,
                                    > > ghalstead@... writes:
                                    > >
                                    > > Stulpnagel, Karl Heinrich. Die gotischen Truhen
                                    > der Luneburger
                                    > > Heidekloster: Enstehung, Konstruktion, Gestaltung.
                                    > Cloppenburg:
                                    > > Museumsdorf Cloppenburg, 2000. ISBN
                                    > 3-923675-81-X
                                    > >

                                    > > Am I to conclude that it's written in German?

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Gary R. Halstead
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
                                      I included a brief one with the original post. Since we're in the
                                      process of moving, it's probably going to be a couple of months before I
                                      have time to do a detailed analysis (I read German sloooowly).

                                      Museumsdorf Cloppenburg (www.museumsdorf.de) has copies listed in their
                                      online shop for 20 Euros, so you might want to try there - although
                                      getting money to them might take a little work.

                                      Ranulf

                                    • maf@gleichen.ca
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
                                        Already reserved one through the online -reservation system ... on monday. You have to call in to pay but even when I call during the proper times no one ever answers the phone. They like lots of europeans don't answer emails very proptly either

                                        Mark

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
                                          I found a different # for the museum and someone answers it but all they say is "no english" then hang up. I've got a friend who is bilingual halping write a fax order for me... we'll see if that works.

                                          Mark

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
                                            Right, I forgot about the moving thing. And thanks for
                                            the reminder to look at the museum itself for copies.
                                            Time to dust off _my_ high school german. Whee. :^P

                                            -Malcolm

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com