Re: [medievalsawdust] Chief Fiend of Evil German Weapon Works eh?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003

      > For those who don't know what I'm referencing:
      > http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
      >
      > It took me two days to sell two dozen, so people do
      > want them.
      > Jack may be retiring not too far off.
      >
      > Magnus, OL, GDH, Regia.org

      the link started a down load that froze up the
      first time and loaded a blank page the second...

      =====

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Mikhalis@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
        So how does one go about getting a copy of the Jack Thompson book on Medieval Chests. A quick Amazon search yielded nothing.
        MoR

        On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:22:35 -0400 rmhowe <MMagnusM@...> writes:

        >>Warder Uadahlrich von Sassmannshausen
        >>Chief Fiend of Evil German Weapon Works

        I have too much curiosity or too little sense. I just
        ordered a German Major's really rare work in German on the
        Roman Artillery from Castle Saalburg (and other similar Roman
        forts on the Limes). Since it's in public domain now [1918]
        I might be induced to have some copies made at a price.
        I'd put off buying that puppy for six months.
        You wouldn't believe what -I- paid for this thing.
        Let you know when I see it. I received confirmation of the
        order. Now I have to find a German to English by a German
        introduction to the thing written sixty years later.  May
        send it to Caber Press like some other interesting things
        we reprinted.

        The largest siege engines he built were destroyed in WWII.
        The smaller ones still survive in the museum.
        Like the Roman Scorpion.

        Then again I collect really odd stuff on archery and siege engines
        and crossbows - some of it rare.

        Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
        Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book. - I would
        appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
        pages. The whole point of the reprint was to put the information
        out there -for the Society-.  I don't make a dime unless I buy and
        sell them directly. Since your pages are the places people begin
        to look, given the fact that this is the only one with
        internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
        and measurements, and REASONABLY priced it would be service
        to let people know about it. It costs less than a third of what
        other books on chests that don't have the details do - if you
        can find them, which most SCA can't or can't afford.

        For those who don't know what I'm referencing:
        http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

        It took me two days to sell two dozen, so people do want them.
        Jack may be retiring not too far off.

        Magnus, OL, GDH, Regia.org

      • Brian D. Murphy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
          Fire off an email to the Thompson Conservation Lab.  The one you're looking for is Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England.  I don't recall how much shipping was, but the book runs $12.95.  It's a great reference and well worth it.  It's not on the website ( http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm ) but it is on the pdf file you can download there.

          Bran

          Bran Du ap Dafydd

          So how does one go about getting a copy of the Jack Thompson book on Medieval Chests. A quick Amazon search yielded nothing.
          MoR

        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
            Magnus script:

            >Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
            >Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book.

            Free?! I paid for mine - and it was Well worth it.

            > - I would
            >appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
            >pages.

            Good idea. I'm working on one for clamped-front chests, along the lines of
            the one I did for beds, but with more details.

            > given the fact that this is the only one with
            >internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
            >and measurements,

            Internal details, joinery details, lumber dimensions... all the stuff we
            all _wish_ they would put in the books. Invaluable.

            I only wish it was a little larger format, so the details would be easier
            for these aging eyes to read, but then of course it wouldn't be so cheap.

            >and REASONABLY priced

            Cheap, even!

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            www.albionworks.net
            www.albionworks.com
          • rmhowe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
              Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
              > the [.pdf] link started a down load that froze up the
              > first time and loaded a blank page the second...
              > =====
              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

              http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/
              Links to the page you want.
              The Medieval Chests book curiously is not on it but the
              newer Ancient Locks is. However, there is a blue
              link in the page which will take you to the .pdf
              file with the below page on it that has the chests
              book on it. English Medieval Chests $12.95 plus
              shipping from Jack Thompson. 114 pages with some
              measured examples, rubbings of carvings and constructional
              views. I have yet to see another book on medieval
              chests that matches it for constructional details
              until you get to the Mary Rose chests (centuries later)
              which is part of:

              Redknap, Mark: Artefacts from Wrecks; Oxbow Monograph 84, 1997; 232p
              with numerous figs and photos. Hardback ISBN 1900188392. The study of
              artefacts found on wrecks was the subject of an international conference
              held at the National Musuem of Wales in 1994. Concentrating on the
              period of transition in Europe, from the end of the Middle Ages to 1785,
              these essays describe some of the most important recent results. The
              material culture of the Mary Rose as a fighting vessel (Alex Hildred);
              (This includes the wooden horned paned and linen covered lanterns.).
              Finding a copy of this is problematic. I think it's out of print now.

              Incidentally, I was looking at the Mary Rose books and three or four
              studies are due to be published this year on the artefacts.
              Happened to see it searching for other things. Should be in the
              next few months.

              http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
              worked fine for me but came through my email when I clicked on
              my own email and not my browser.

              I sure liked Netscape 4.7 better than 7 but the old one kept
              crashing on me one day. Really didn't want to reload an old
              program and risk losing a ton of good mail I haven't yet
              reduced for input. And I really didn't want to go back and
              find the necessary virus patches.

              Apparently the mouse scroller can freeze Netscape 7. I need
              to buy a newer mouse apparently as they say the download
              installer exe is corrupted when I try to install a newer
              driver for the mouse. Damned thing scrolls too far in 7 with
              a single click and there is no adjustment.
              Solution: Go back to using the sliding bar.
              Norton has a lovely little half globe program announcer in
              the middle of the bar that alerts me to programs going out.

              Speaking of which some asshole has forwarded a Klez variant
              with my email as the sending address and I got one today with
              Postmaster@... as the sending address for the third
              time. Stefan of the Florilegium's address came to me on one
              last week. I guess someone has both of us on their address book.
              Klez sure is fun, eh? I use an email scanner in and out, and
              a firewall which is constantly updated. I love Norton Security.
              Wouldn't have a computer with McAfee on it anymore in the house.
              It was removed before I bought this one. This one is virus
              checked at least once per day, especially after download,
              and I update before I download.

              Magnus
            • rmhowe
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
                Mikhalis@... wrote:
                > So how does one go about getting a copy of the Jack Thompson book on
                > Medieval Chests. A quick Amazon search yielded nothing.
                > MoR

                English Medieval Chests $12.95

                Jack C. Thompson
                Thompson Conservation Lab.
                7549 N. Fenwick
                Portland, OR 97217

                503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
                tcl@...
                http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/ 1/03
                http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/
                http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

                http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
                Thompson Conservation Lab.
                7549 N. Fenwick
                Portland, Oregon 97217
                USA
                503/735-3942 (ph/fax)
                http://home.teleport.com/~tcl 1/03
                *He is not a morning person.
                That is the west coast too.

                Magnus, who let him use his antiquarian articles to
                make the book from. Too useful to keep to myself.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 11, 2003
                  Tim Bray wrote:
                  > Magnus script:
                  >
                  >>Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
                  >>Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book.
                  >
                  > Free?! I paid for mine - and it was Well worth it.

                  You bought it before I made the suggestion to Jack. ;)
                  Sorry about that. But I thought I had included you
                  in the list I sent him. The people doing at least
                  semi-pro work with pages on the internet.

                  I paid about $45 for the original two articles.
                  Jack gave me two books when he reprinted them and
                  rebound my articles. Anything else I've done with them
                  was by buying two dozen and selling them here in Atlantia.

                  I sent Jack names for various page maintainers who had
                  articles on medieval woodworking on their pages.
                  I know I did Fin and Charles Oakley and a few others.
                  I also sent him the names of various book dealers/sutlers
                  to the SCA and other reenactors to send various samples to.

                  Smoke and Fire's best seller has been the largely modern
                  Chests book that is current. At Pennsic I stopped by and
                  gave them his address and a description same as various
                  other dealers. I don't think they picked it up. Dumb.
                  They had told me that they sold over 200 of the non-period
                  chests book in their winter catalog alone.

                  I know Jack sends a copy of his .pdf to Amazon every time
                  they request an order. That doesn't necessarily mean they
                  list all the new books though. That would take a bit of
                  effort on someone's part to go back and cross-check.

                  As far as I know Jack is not on any booksearch system,
                  although he is talking about getting to the age he's
                  thinking about listing his library of 4,000 books on
                  abebooks (which takes 20% of the sale). Bookfinder.com
                  is about $25 per month so much cheaper.

                  Were I a merchant I feel fairly certain hundreds could
                  easily be sold at Pennsic. The event I took fourteen
                  to had 120 people and they were gone in about three hours.
                  The other ten were all snatched up locally. Many
                  subsequent inquiries.

                  >> - I would
                  >>appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
                  >>pages.
                  >

                  > Good idea. I'm working on one for clamped-front chests, along the lines of
                  > the one I did for beds, but with more details.

                  Please put in Jack's address.

                  Actually, when I merchanted in the SCA pre-disability I bought
                  and priced things according to what everyone could afford.
                  Generally in the $5 to $20 range.

                  Here's a thought. A $13 book can be afforded by anyone and
                  a $200+ chest can't generally. Master Finnr was carrying both
                  the Mastermyr Chest: A Viking Age Tool-chest from Gotland $18
                  which I pestered Norm Larson books into reprinting and was
                  carrying some of Jack's books as well. Unfortunately poor
                  Finnr died last February at age 42 of a heart attack. He
                  was planning on expanding into much of the rest of Jack's
                  offerings. Jack prints esoteric subjects. The market for
                  these things is wide open.

                  Norm Larson Books, 5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
                  Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
                  Postage is $2 for first book
                  plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
                  larbooks@...

                  As I recall, a dozen of the chests books were $88 post paid,
                  or $7.33 each and they sell for $12.95 plus tax. You get a
                  reasonable profit of $5.72 each, they require virtually no
                  work, take up very little space in your booth or van.
                  With a small sign, orange in my case above them, they sold
                  out quickly. So you can even snag the cheap people. ;)
                  The ones who imagine that one day they'll do so and so.
                  The whole point in the end though was to increase
                  authenticity for everyone. Most of the people I know need
                  multiple chests for feast gear, sitting and kit.

                  >> given the fact that this is the only one with
                  >>internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
                  >>and measurements,
                  >

                  > Internal details, joinery details, lumber dimensions... all the stuff we
                  > all _wish_ they would put in the books. Invaluable.
                  >
                  > I only wish it was a little larger format, so the details would be easier
                  > for these aging eyes to read, but then of course it wouldn't be so cheap.

                  The original format was just slightly larger and the measurements
                  on my original articles were so indistinct in hand script that Jack
                  spent most of a year part-time going back and working them into the
                  drawings in legible script.

                  I knew the articles would be of great use to
                  reenactors in general - who doesn't need a chest? - and rather than
                  do the common thing and keep them to myself I loaned them to Jack
                  for almost a year. He had to type everything in as it didn't scan
                  well. Of the second article he took only the photos, which to me
                  appear to be chests of the next several centuries, excepting the
                  dovetailed chest which was dated 12/13th c on the basis of the ironwork.
                  That article was a review of a chests book. They were from 1907 and
                  1912 and so in the public domain. The coverage of the little book
                  is actually from 12th through early 16th C. judging by the styles.

                  >>and REASONABLY priced

                  > Cheap, even!

                  That was why I sent it to Jack.
                  I really wish he was more pro-actively listed.
                  $25 per month to Bookfinder, instead of relying on Amazon to
                  put out the effort to list them from a flier would be cheap
                  advertising. There has to be hundreds of SCA per month looking
                  for books on Medieval Furniture. Excepting the Diehl books of
                  somewhat dubious constructional details at times most books
                  on medieval furniture I have are in the $40 to $100 range
                  plus postage from Europe frequently. One of my chests books
                  actually came from the York Castle Library. Why they sold
                  it I have no idea, but so it's marked. About $55 with postage.
                  Most history of furniture books have less than a dozen
                  examples generally before they jump to Jacobite furniture.
                  Few people are going to go to the excess of that style, or
                  the Baroque or Roccoco, so their actual references are few.

                  BTW. I got in the [German] Roman Siege Engines book.
                  The text is entirely in German but the siege engines
                  drafting plates are to scale. Not every part is measured -
                  one would have to use a proportional set of dividers or
                  calculate, or blow them up. But the constructional details
                  are good. I may look into doing a reprint of it.
                  We need more and better siege engines. There was one
                  spring actuated grenade thrower picture from the then
                  just-over Great War. Not quite like the English version
                  I have seen in my Diagram Associates Weapons book.

                  I also got in another two crossbow books last week.
                  One modern one from Germany, and Frank Bilson's Crossbow
                  book from 1974. That one has a very odd little contraption
                  in it. A nine inch long folding assassin's crossbow entirely
                  of metal I think except for the sinew skeins which really
                  make it more like a worm drawn siege engine. The draw
                  mechanism uses an acme screw crank. Folds, must be the
                  medieval equivalent of a fairly silent derringer.

                  Magnus