Chief Fiend of Evil German Weapon Works eh?

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2003
      >>Warder Uadahlrich von Sassmannshausen
      >>Chief Fiend of Evil German Weapon Works

      I have too much curiosity or too little sense. I just
      ordered a German Major's really rare work in German on the
      Roman Artillery from Castle Saalburg (and other similar Roman
      forts on the Limes). Since it's in public domain now [1918]
      I might be induced to have some copies made at a price.
      I'd put off buying that puppy for six months.
      You wouldn't believe what -I- paid for this thing.
      Let you know when I see it. I received confirmation of the
      order. Now I have to find a German to English by a German
      introduction to the thing written sixty years later. May
      send it to Caber Press like some other interesting things
      we reprinted.

      The largest siege engines he built were destroyed in WWII.
      The smaller ones still survive in the museum.
      Like the Roman Scorpion.

      Then again I collect really odd stuff on archery and siege engines
      and crossbows - some of it rare.

      Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
      Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book. - I would
      appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
      pages. The whole point of the reprint was to put the information
      out there -for the Society-. I don't make a dime unless I buy and
      sell them directly. Since your pages are the places people begin
      to look, given the fact that this is the only one with
      internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
      and measurements, and REASONABLY priced it would be service
      to let people know about it. It costs less than a third of what
      other books on chests that don't have the details do - if you
      can find them, which most SCA can't or can't afford.

      For those who don't know what I'm referencing:
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

      It took me two days to sell two dozen, so people do want them.
      Jack may be retiring not too far off.

      Magnus, OL, GDH, Regia.org
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003

        > For those who don't know what I'm referencing:
        > http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
        >
        > It took me two days to sell two dozen, so people do
        > want them.
        > Jack may be retiring not too far off.
        >
        > Magnus, OL, GDH, Regia.org

        the link started a down load that froze up the
        first time and loaded a blank page the second...

        =====

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Mikhalis@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
          So how does one go about getting a copy of the Jack Thompson book on Medieval Chests. A quick Amazon search yielded nothing.
          MoR

          On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:22:35 -0400 rmhowe <MMagnusM@...> writes:

          >>Warder Uadahlrich von Sassmannshausen
          >>Chief Fiend of Evil German Weapon Works

          I have too much curiosity or too little sense. I just
          ordered a German Major's really rare work in German on the
          Roman Artillery from Castle Saalburg (and other similar Roman
          forts on the Limes). Since it's in public domain now [1918]
          I might be induced to have some copies made at a price.
          I'd put off buying that puppy for six months.
          You wouldn't believe what -I- paid for this thing.
          Let you know when I see it. I received confirmation of the
          order. Now I have to find a German to English by a German
          introduction to the thing written sixty years later.  May
          send it to Caber Press like some other interesting things
          we reprinted.

          The largest siege engines he built were destroyed in WWII.
          The smaller ones still survive in the museum.
          Like the Roman Scorpion.

          Then again I collect really odd stuff on archery and siege engines
          and crossbows - some of it rare.

          Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
          Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book. - I would
          appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
          pages. The whole point of the reprint was to put the information
          out there -for the Society-.  I don't make a dime unless I buy and
          sell them directly. Since your pages are the places people begin
          to look, given the fact that this is the only one with
          internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
          and measurements, and REASONABLY priced it would be service
          to let people know about it. It costs less than a third of what
          other books on chests that don't have the details do - if you
          can find them, which most SCA can't or can't afford.

          For those who don't know what I'm referencing:
          http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

          It took me two days to sell two dozen, so people do want them.
          Jack may be retiring not too far off.

          Magnus, OL, GDH, Regia.org

        • Brian D. Murphy
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
            Fire off an email to the Thompson Conservation Lab.  The one you're looking for is Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England.  I don't recall how much shipping was, but the book runs $12.95.  It's a great reference and well worth it.  It's not on the website ( http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm ) but it is on the pdf file you can download there.

            Bran

            Bran Du ap Dafydd

            So how does one go about getting a copy of the Jack Thompson book on Medieval Chests. A quick Amazon search yielded nothing.
            MoR

          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2003
              Magnus script:

              >Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
              >Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book.

              Free?! I paid for mine - and it was Well worth it.

              > - I would
              >appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
              >pages.

              Good idea. I'm working on one for clamped-front chests, along the lines of
              the one I did for beds, but with more details.

              > given the fact that this is the only one with
              >internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
              >and measurements,

              Internal details, joinery details, lumber dimensions... all the stuff we
              all _wish_ they would put in the books. Invaluable.

              I only wish it was a little larger format, so the details would be easier
              for these aging eyes to read, but then of course it wouldn't be so cheap.

              >and REASONABLY priced

              Cheap, even!

              Cheers,
              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              www.albionworks.net
              www.albionworks.com
            • rmhowe
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
                Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                > the [.pdf] link started a down load that froze up the
                > first time and loaded a blank page the second...
                > =====
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/
                Links to the page you want.
                The Medieval Chests book curiously is not on it but the
                newer Ancient Locks is. However, there is a blue
                link in the page which will take you to the .pdf
                file with the below page on it that has the chests
                book on it. English Medieval Chests $12.95 plus
                shipping from Jack Thompson. 114 pages with some
                measured examples, rubbings of carvings and constructional
                views. I have yet to see another book on medieval
                chests that matches it for constructional details
                until you get to the Mary Rose chests (centuries later)
                which is part of:

                Redknap, Mark: Artefacts from Wrecks; Oxbow Monograph 84, 1997; 232p
                with numerous figs and photos. Hardback ISBN 1900188392. The study of
                artefacts found on wrecks was the subject of an international conference
                held at the National Musuem of Wales in 1994. Concentrating on the
                period of transition in Europe, from the end of the Middle Ages to 1785,
                these essays describe some of the most important recent results. The
                material culture of the Mary Rose as a fighting vessel (Alex Hildred);
                (This includes the wooden horned paned and linen covered lanterns.).
                Finding a copy of this is problematic. I think it's out of print now.

                Incidentally, I was looking at the Mary Rose books and three or four
                studies are due to be published this year on the artefacts.
                Happened to see it searching for other things. Should be in the
                next few months.

                http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
                worked fine for me but came through my email when I clicked on
                my own email and not my browser.

                I sure liked Netscape 4.7 better than 7 but the old one kept
                crashing on me one day. Really didn't want to reload an old
                program and risk losing a ton of good mail I haven't yet
                reduced for input. And I really didn't want to go back and
                find the necessary virus patches.

                Apparently the mouse scroller can freeze Netscape 7. I need
                to buy a newer mouse apparently as they say the download
                installer exe is corrupted when I try to install a newer
                driver for the mouse. Damned thing scrolls too far in 7 with
                a single click and there is no adjustment.
                Solution: Go back to using the sliding bar.
                Norton has a lovely little half globe program announcer in
                the middle of the bar that alerts me to programs going out.

                Speaking of which some asshole has forwarded a Klez variant
                with my email as the sending address and I got one today with
                Postmaster@... as the sending address for the third
                time. Stefan of the Florilegium's address came to me on one
                last week. I guess someone has both of us on their address book.
                Klez sure is fun, eh? I use an email scanner in and out, and
                a firewall which is constantly updated. I love Norton Security.
                Wouldn't have a computer with McAfee on it anymore in the house.
                It was removed before I bought this one. This one is virus
                checked at least once per day, especially after download,
                and I update before I download.

                Magnus
              • rmhowe
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
                  Mikhalis@... wrote:
                  > So how does one go about getting a copy of the Jack Thompson book on
                  > Medieval Chests. A quick Amazon search yielded nothing.
                  > MoR

                  English Medieval Chests $12.95

                  Jack C. Thompson
                  Thompson Conservation Lab.
                  7549 N. Fenwick
                  Portland, OR 97217

                  503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
                  tcl@...
                  http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/ 1/03
                  http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/
                  http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

                  http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf
                  Thompson Conservation Lab.
                  7549 N. Fenwick
                  Portland, Oregon 97217
                  USA
                  503/735-3942 (ph/fax)
                  http://home.teleport.com/~tcl 1/03
                  *He is not a morning person.
                  That is the west coast too.

                  Magnus, who let him use his antiquarian articles to
                  make the book from. Too useful to keep to myself.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 11, 2003
                    Tim Bray wrote:
                    > Magnus script:
                    >
                    >>Incidentally, those of you who received free copies from
                    >>Jack Thompson of the English Medieval Chests book.
                    >
                    > Free?! I paid for mine - and it was Well worth it.

                    You bought it before I made the suggestion to Jack. ;)
                    Sorry about that. But I thought I had included you
                    in the list I sent him. The people doing at least
                    semi-pro work with pages on the internet.

                    I paid about $45 for the original two articles.
                    Jack gave me two books when he reprinted them and
                    rebound my articles. Anything else I've done with them
                    was by buying two dozen and selling them here in Atlantia.

                    I sent Jack names for various page maintainers who had
                    articles on medieval woodworking on their pages.
                    I know I did Fin and Charles Oakley and a few others.
                    I also sent him the names of various book dealers/sutlers
                    to the SCA and other reenactors to send various samples to.

                    Smoke and Fire's best seller has been the largely modern
                    Chests book that is current. At Pennsic I stopped by and
                    gave them his address and a description same as various
                    other dealers. I don't think they picked it up. Dumb.
                    They had told me that they sold over 200 of the non-period
                    chests book in their winter catalog alone.

                    I know Jack sends a copy of his .pdf to Amazon every time
                    they request an order. That doesn't necessarily mean they
                    list all the new books though. That would take a bit of
                    effort on someone's part to go back and cross-check.

                    As far as I know Jack is not on any booksearch system,
                    although he is talking about getting to the age he's
                    thinking about listing his library of 4,000 books on
                    abebooks (which takes 20% of the sale). Bookfinder.com
                    is about $25 per month so much cheaper.

                    Were I a merchant I feel fairly certain hundreds could
                    easily be sold at Pennsic. The event I took fourteen
                    to had 120 people and they were gone in about three hours.
                    The other ten were all snatched up locally. Many
                    subsequent inquiries.

                    >> - I would
                    >>appreciate it if you referenced it on your medieval woodworking
                    >>pages.
                    >

                    > Good idea. I'm working on one for clamped-front chests, along the lines of
                    > the one I did for beds, but with more details.

                    Please put in Jack's address.

                    Actually, when I merchanted in the SCA pre-disability I bought
                    and priced things according to what everyone could afford.
                    Generally in the $5 to $20 range.

                    Here's a thought. A $13 book can be afforded by anyone and
                    a $200+ chest can't generally. Master Finnr was carrying both
                    the Mastermyr Chest: A Viking Age Tool-chest from Gotland $18
                    which I pestered Norm Larson books into reprinting and was
                    carrying some of Jack's books as well. Unfortunately poor
                    Finnr died last February at age 42 of a heart attack. He
                    was planning on expanding into much of the rest of Jack's
                    offerings. Jack prints esoteric subjects. The market for
                    these things is wide open.

                    Norm Larson Books, 5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
                    Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
                    Postage is $2 for first book
                    plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
                    larbooks@...

                    As I recall, a dozen of the chests books were $88 post paid,
                    or $7.33 each and they sell for $12.95 plus tax. You get a
                    reasonable profit of $5.72 each, they require virtually no
                    work, take up very little space in your booth or van.
                    With a small sign, orange in my case above them, they sold
                    out quickly. So you can even snag the cheap people. ;)
                    The ones who imagine that one day they'll do so and so.
                    The whole point in the end though was to increase
                    authenticity for everyone. Most of the people I know need
                    multiple chests for feast gear, sitting and kit.

                    >> given the fact that this is the only one with
                    >>internal constructional details, rubbings of the carvings
                    >>and measurements,
                    >

                    > Internal details, joinery details, lumber dimensions... all the stuff we
                    > all _wish_ they would put in the books. Invaluable.
                    >
                    > I only wish it was a little larger format, so the details would be easier
                    > for these aging eyes to read, but then of course it wouldn't be so cheap.

                    The original format was just slightly larger and the measurements
                    on my original articles were so indistinct in hand script that Jack
                    spent most of a year part-time going back and working them into the
                    drawings in legible script.

                    I knew the articles would be of great use to
                    reenactors in general - who doesn't need a chest? - and rather than
                    do the common thing and keep them to myself I loaned them to Jack
                    for almost a year. He had to type everything in as it didn't scan
                    well. Of the second article he took only the photos, which to me
                    appear to be chests of the next several centuries, excepting the
                    dovetailed chest which was dated 12/13th c on the basis of the ironwork.
                    That article was a review of a chests book. They were from 1907 and
                    1912 and so in the public domain. The coverage of the little book
                    is actually from 12th through early 16th C. judging by the styles.

                    >>and REASONABLY priced

                    > Cheap, even!

                    That was why I sent it to Jack.
                    I really wish he was more pro-actively listed.
                    $25 per month to Bookfinder, instead of relying on Amazon to
                    put out the effort to list them from a flier would be cheap
                    advertising. There has to be hundreds of SCA per month looking
                    for books on Medieval Furniture. Excepting the Diehl books of
                    somewhat dubious constructional details at times most books
                    on medieval furniture I have are in the $40 to $100 range
                    plus postage from Europe frequently. One of my chests books
                    actually came from the York Castle Library. Why they sold
                    it I have no idea, but so it's marked. About $55 with postage.
                    Most history of furniture books have less than a dozen
                    examples generally before they jump to Jacobite furniture.
                    Few people are going to go to the excess of that style, or
                    the Baroque or Roccoco, so their actual references are few.

                    BTW. I got in the [German] Roman Siege Engines book.
                    The text is entirely in German but the siege engines
                    drafting plates are to scale. Not every part is measured -
                    one would have to use a proportional set of dividers or
                    calculate, or blow them up. But the constructional details
                    are good. I may look into doing a reprint of it.
                    We need more and better siege engines. There was one
                    spring actuated grenade thrower picture from the then
                    just-over Great War. Not quite like the English version
                    I have seen in my Diagram Associates Weapons book.

                    I also got in another two crossbow books last week.
                    One modern one from Germany, and Frank Bilson's Crossbow
                    book from 1974. That one has a very odd little contraption
                    in it. A nine inch long folding assassin's crossbow entirely
                    of metal I think except for the sinew skeins which really
                    make it more like a worm drawn siege engine. The draw
                    mechanism uses an acme screw crank. Folds, must be the
                    medieval equivalent of a fairly silent derringer.

                    Magnus