Re: wood from pallets

  • alfricr
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 9 12:24 AM
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
      wrote:

      > Grilling steak over mesquite... I would like to put my two cents
      into the pot.

      After working in the warehousing and manufacturing industries for
      about twenty years or so, I've learned that it is usually easy to see
      where spills are on pallet wood, and if you are concerned about it -
      Just don"t use the area of the spill.

      I've used pallet wood before and plan on making some hardware/tent
      stake boxes out of some heavy hardwood pallet boards soon and find
      that pallet wood can be a useful source of get it quick and cheep
      wood.

      YIS,

      Alfric
    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 9 5:58 AM
         We recently bought some "assembly required" boxes (kartotek) from Ikea (yeah, I know, heresy!). They were made in Russia for a Swedish firm to sell in the US.

        I wonder where the wood itself came from? Considering Russia's forests, probably there.

        Bemusedlly
        Donal

      • John LaTorre
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 10 10:29 AM
          Colin wrote:

          > Grilled steak (over regular charcoal briquettes, and probably over gas
          > grills as well) contains measurable amounts of benzopyrene, a known
          > human carcinogen. The smoke contains a number of other carcinogens.
          > Mesquite smoke is strong and oily-smelling, so I expect it has larger
          > than normal amounts of those pesky polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons;
          > that's why it tastes so damn good!

          Colin has is tongue in his cheek here, I know, but I remember when that
          study was published. I also recall that, after the sampling was done, the
          researchers ate the rest of the steaks. That should tell you something.

          > The steak is poison too, just a really small dose - so I always chase it
          > down with the antidote (Zinfandel).

          I think that a Pinot Noir does a better job, myself. But to each his own.
          For Australian beef, try Shiraz.

          > Seriously, I think you're stressing out about insignificant risk again.
          > If you've got mesquite from pallets, chances are it's clean enough -
          > there won't likely be any chemicals on the wood that are any worse than
          > the ones you create by burning it.

          I'm surprised that nobody's noted another drawback of pallet wood ... many
          pallets have been treated with flame retardants, which makes them pretty
          useless as a fuel.

          Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 10 12:14 PM
            >> I'm surprised that nobody's noted another drawback of pallet wood
            .. many
            pallets have been treated with flame retardants, which makes them pretty
            useless as a fuel. <<

            Aw... heat it up hot enough and anything will burn... cuts down on the cookin' time for the steaks too...

            Winking smiley emoticon

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13 8:57 AM

              Pallet wood is the spam of woods.  They can be made out of anything that is too knotty to be of use in finer applications.  I only use it for bonfires unless I recognize the specific species.

              Will

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 13 11:24 AM
                >Pallet wood is the spam of woods.

                Well now, that all depends.  Being a gardener as well as a woodsmith I happen to be of the opinion that pallets make fine floor and walls for a compost bin.  Plenty of aeration there.  They're quite fine for drying racks and such.  As they are free (round these parts anyway) they make a fine fuel for the wood burning stove out in the shop as well.

                Now, as far as the quality of the wood itself, I have yet to find pallets that were treated with anything touching on the preservative.  That would mean added expense and pallets are s'posed to be cheap (hence they give them away when done).  Also, they are not required to have a long life expectancy.  They hold what they hold in their infancy and are then considered unworthy of future service.

                As far as their construction, I have frequently found oak and maple in pallets.  Granted, it tends to be knotty but for small projects its just the thing.  Most large mills (whether lumber, cabinetry, finish, etc) have a minimum size below which it is not considered economical to mill the wood, hence it is given away, turned into pallets, sold on the cheap, whatever.  There's a rather large scale small business shop about a mile from my house that holds a "garage sale" every coupla months from which I have purchased some large (for me) and loverly pieces of mahogany, oak, maple and walnut that they would otherwise burn or throw away.

                The free pallets I get from the local newspaper obviously have none of the finer hardwoods, but I'm as likely to get oak as I am anything connifer.

                Besides, what's wrong with spam?

                :-)

                regards, Puck
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 20 2:11 PM
                  What was spilled on it? Is it pained with lead pain?

                  If it is only wood, stay out of the smoke and use only the coals to heat pots and you should be good.  For cooking meat and shmores, I like to know what kind of wood and do not normal use any that were boards.

                  James Cunningham
                  Owner of a bon fire site and orchard

                  James Cunningham
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 25 6:12 PM
                      In a message dated 8/25/2006 5:03:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, yahoo@... writes:
                      Which Ikea carried them (Kartoteks) and how long ago?

                      One in the Potomac Mills area, just south of Washington, in July of this year. They were on sale; I hope that doesn't mean they were polishing off inventory

                      Your servant aye
                      Donal