Re: quality of wood

  • Jared
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
      ---
      Ultimaty the grain decides the strength, as a log full of knots and
      grain twist will not make a strong board, no matter how you saw it,
      you will have complete grain run out at some point resulting in a
      terribly weak falure point. If you are able to split a board from such
      a piece, it will curve and twist around like piece of licorice and be
      unusable. The straight grained log, will make a strong board when
      plain sawed, a more stable board when quarter sawn, and the equal or
      better when split (rived). Modern lumber, being taken from smaller
      trees, with more defectes, does result in boards with weak points and
      boards with the twist and crown when they dry, because of grain
      runnout. If you split a board from one of these same logs it will only
      be straight and usable in shorter sections,(between the defects) those
      sections will be stronger because they dont have grain runnout.
      To answer you question, Mahee, this is an "ah ha" for you, as your
      thoughts are essentially correct and demonstate that you are
      "understanding wood" (wich might sound stupid to some people).

      Jared

      In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
      <cunning@...> wrote:

      > Yes and No.
      >
      > Being a sawyer I understand how to put strenght into a board.
      >
      > You have to look at things two ways. First most riven(split out)
      boards are

    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
        You are right. Split wood, aka Riven wood, is superior in strength and stability. The sawn version that most approximated this is called quartesawn and you can specify this type of cut when you purchase good wood. The stuff available at Home Depot is geared toward home construction and is fine for what it does, but it is not usually the best choice for what we do when we want to our best work.

        Their is disadvantages to riven wood. It is hard to get wide planks of it without having a million acres of virgin timber to choose from. It is inherently wasteful, and you end up with a lot of firewood.

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        From: "mahee of acre" <mahee_of_acre@...>

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006

          It’s not stupid at all, and, in fact, some authorities would agree with you without reservation.

          For myself, I’m skeptical.  What I am sure of is that rip-sawn timber is less STABLE that riven (split) timber or quarter sawn timber.

          The reason that most lumber is rip-sawn is that it’s cheap to do.  You can take a log and run it through a commercial bandsaw like salami through a deli-slicer.  There’s almost no labor cost AND you get to use about 80% of the log.

          Quarter sawn timber has to be re-positioned on the saw for each cut, and the labor costs go up about 500% (that last number is a guess).  Riven timber, on the other hand, throws away about 60% of the log.  (In my own limited experience.)

          Master Will

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
              The reason that most lumber is rip-sawn is that it’s cheap to do.  You can take a log and run it through a commercial bandsaw like salami through a deli-slicer.  There’s almost no labor cost AND you get to use about 80% of the log.

              Quarter sawn timber has to be re-positioned on the saw for each cut, and the labor costs go up about 500% (that last number is a guess).  Riven timber, on the other hand, throws away about 60% of the log.  (In my own limited experience.)
              Actually, I had the opportunity to have dinner my boss on my last trip to her office (in the southern US), and afterwards, we visited her husband's design shop. He designs and builds precision laser measurement and control devices for lumber mills. Any mill larger than your local Wood-Mizer owner may already have automated equipment which allows them to do all sorts of amazing things with logs. The log is measured every (mumble) of a millimeter and the cutting is optimized to get the very most possible useful lumber from every log.
              For any mill using equipment like this (it's expensive stuff, but makes a huge difference in the amount of wasted wood), there's almost no difference in labour costs between doing flatsawn and quartersawn wood. There is still more waste from quartersawn, so it'll still be more economical for mills to produce flatsawn wood over quartersawn wood, but the cost differences will be much lower than for  mills which don't use this equipment.
              Regards,
              Nicholas
              Ealdormere (Ontario, Canada)

              Nicholas Russon
              nrusson@... or nicholas.russon@...

              Weblog at http://www.bolditalic.com/quotulatiousness
              Quotes site at http://www.quotulatiousness.ca
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006

                Anybody think there’s the remotest chance on this side of the river Styx of the savings in labor cost being passed on to the consumer with an industry that let tens of thousands of acres of hardwoods blown down by Mt. St. Helens ROT rather than processes it and reduce the price of hardwood?

                Will the Bitter Cynic

                For any mill using equipment like this (it's expensive stuff, but makes a huge difference in the amount of wasted wood), there's almost no difference in labour costs between doing flatsawn and quartersawn wood. There is still more waste from quartersawn, so it'll still be more economical for mills to produce flatsawn wood over quartersawn wood, but the cost differences will be much lower than for  mills which don't use this equipment.

              • AlbionWood
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Hardwoods, blown down by Mt. St. Helens? Pretty sure that was mostly
                  pine & fir. And IIRC there were some pretty good reasons not to go in
                  and liquidate all that standing dead timber, though there was also a lot
                  of argument about it.

                  Still, point taken - the (US) industry is not particularly interested in
                  low prices. The sordid business with Canada (over softwood prices) is
                  proof enough, if anybody doubted it.

                  What those fancy computer-optimized, laser-guided mills do is get
                  (barely) usable lumber from smaller-diameter logs. You should see the
                  pecker-poles filling trucks out here right now... some of them they
                  might get a few 2x4s out of, but they are still worth cutting & hauling.
                  That means a shorter cut cycle, maybe 35-40 years instead of 45-50. That
                  means more revenue. It's not a forest, it's a crop, and the sooner you
                  get it to market the better.

                  Timber companies are selling land like crazy. Wonder what that means?

                  Colin
                  Another Bitter Cynic

                  Bill McNutt wrote:

                  > Anybody think there’s the remotest chance on this side of the river
                  > Styx of the savings in labor cost being passed on to the consumer with
                  > an industry that let tens of thousands of acres of hardwoods blown
                  > down by Mt. St. Helens ROT rather than processes it and reduce the
                  > price of hardwood?
                  >
                  > Will the Bitter Cynic

                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

                    > Anybody think there's the remotest chance on this side of the river
                    Styx of
                    > the savings in labor cost being passed on to the consumer with an
                    industry
                    > that let tens of thousands of acres of hardwoods blown down by Mt. St.
                    > Helens ROT rather than processes it and reduce the price of hardwood?

                    Collin is correct in that there was little hardwood. Most of the
                    wood was Doug Fir, Hemlock and Western Red Cedar. Although, there was
                    some bottom land with Big Leaf Maple and Red Alder also.
                    But as to the rest, bunkem. All of the land owned by the timber co's
                    (mostly Weyerhaeuser) was harvested for the blow-down. I watched truck
                    after truck come out of the blow-down area. Then I watched as they
                    replanted the land (most of the blow-down area was privately owned).
                    Now, if you are talking about the blast-zone, ie the area right
                    below the mountain, out towards Spirit Lake. That wood was never
                    recovered. Much of it was buried under a few hundred feet of dirt.
                    Some of the rest was blown unto the "new" Spirit Lake, were it was
                    left to rot (it also formed one of the richest lakes in marine life,
                    completely lacking in fish to eat any of it). But then this part of
                    the land is now inside the National Monument.

                    In point of fact, the Tacoma Dome roof is Mt Saint Helen's
                    blow-down. All of that was Douglas Fir and Hemlock. The Red Cedar has
                    always been to valuable to toss. The alder was probably all left to
                    rot, although I'll bet the Big Leaf Maple was selectively harvested
                    (just like it is now, at up to $600/bd-ft for the best quilted Maple,
                    they ain't gona waste that)

                    I've been skiing, hiking, and camping in that land for many years.
                    In fact I was there last week.

                    To return to some semblance of SCA, the major eruption happened on
                    AnTir's May Coronet Tourney (we were still a Principality then). Only
                    I skipped it, as I was building my house that year.

                    TTFN
                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:

                      > What those fancy computer-optimized, laser-guided mills do is get
                      > (barely) usable lumber from smaller-diameter logs. You should see the
                      > pecker-poles filling trucks out here right now... some of them they
                      > might get a few 2x4s out of, but they are still worth cutting &
                      hauling.
                      > That means a shorter cut cycle, maybe 35-40 years instead of 45-50.
                      That
                      > means more revenue. It's not a forest, it's a crop, and the sooner you
                      > get it to market the better.

                      In the 1980's and 90's; Plum Creek Lumber (the timber arm of
                      Burlington Northern rail) published in their circular to stock holders
                      that they were "getting along" in their harvests, by cutting at 3 to 4
                      times sustained yield. Which means that in "X" number of years, they
                      will have no lumber to harvest.

                      > Timber companies are selling land like crazy. Wonder what that means?

                      That their land has more value in homes then in lumber.

                      Interesting, Weyerhaeuser has an interesting solution to this issue.
                      They are selling large lots (5 to 20 acre) of their timber land
                      near(er) major towns to people that want to put large trophy homes on.
                      Only, Weyerhauser is retaining the timber rights.

                      To return this to SCA, my barony (Dragons Laire), hosts many of
                      it's larger events in a "company town" (Port Gamble WA), ie one owned
                      outright by a timber company (Pope and Talbert). They are actually
                      much easier to deal with then most government agencies.

                      TTFN
                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • AlbionWood
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Ralg,

                        Thanks for setting us straight about that. I only remember a lot of
                        hand-wringing over the issue at the time, and there seems to be a
                        persistent myth that the Libruls made everybody leave that timber to rot.

                        Cheers,
                        Colin