Re: [MedievalSawdust] Paladru Excavation Reports (was: New kid in town!)

  • Robb Schuster
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
      Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
      formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
      Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
      Robert Fossier.

      --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
      Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
      The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
      The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

      Halv

      On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

      It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

      Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l'an mil au lac
      de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
      c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

      This looks to be the "popular" work

      Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
      formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
      Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
      Robert Fossier.

      Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l'homme, 1993. 416 p. :
      ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

      Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
      settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
      submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
      preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
      provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
      crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
      archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.
      (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

      Ranulf

      --
      Halv

      Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
        Thank you VERY much!

        I'll track down copies of the books.