Re: [MedievalSawdust] Paladru Plane (was: New kid in town!)

  • Gary R. Halstead
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
      I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
      clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
      wonder what else they found.

      Ranulf

      AlbionWood wrote:
      > Ranulf,
      >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
      >>

      > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
      > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
      >
      > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
      > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
      > crosspin for the wedge.
      >
      > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
      >
      > Colin
    • Robb Schuster
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
        Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
        formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
        Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
        Robert Fossier.

        --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
        Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
        The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
        The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

        Halv

        On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

        It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

        Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l'an mil au lac
        de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
        c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

        This looks to be the "popular" work

        Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
        formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
        Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
        Robert Fossier.

        Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l'homme, 1993. 416 p. :
        ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

        Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
        settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
        submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
        preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
        provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
        crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
        archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.
        (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

        Ranulf

        --
        Halv

        Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
          Thank you VERY much!

          I'll track down copies of the books.