Re: [MedievalSawdust] Paladru Excavation Reports (was: New kid in town!)

  • Gary R. Halstead
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
      It looks as if there are two books on the subject:

      Michel Colardelle, Eric Verdel. Chevaliers-paysans de l’an mil au lac
      de Paladru. Paris : Editions Errance ; [Grenoble] : Musée Dauphinois,
      c1993. 119 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm. ISBN: 2877720764

      This looks to be the "popular" work

      Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
      formation d’un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
      Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
      Robert Fossier.

      Paris : Editions de la Maison des sciences de l’homme, 1993. 416 p. :
      ill. ; 30 cm. ISBN: 2735104990

      Book Description: This volume reports on the excavation of a fortified
      settlement constructed in AD 1003 and abandoned in 1040 before being
      submerged under Lake Paladru. Many artefacts were remarkably well
      preserved, and analysis extending into the surrounding landscape helped
      provide important information concerning architecture in wood, arts and
      crafts, food supply and agriculture. Once again the rewards of wet-site
      archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs & 4 col plates.
      (Documents d'Archaeologie Francaise 40, 1993).

      Ranulf

      Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
      > I would very much like to locate the archaeological reports of the
      > artifacts from this site... The shuttles mentioned on the weaving page
      > especially:
      > http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/chepay.htm
      > If these are boat shuttles (as implied), they will be the earliest
      > (approx1010 AD) that I have been able to locate.
      >
      > Any assistance would be extremely appreciated!
      >
      > Beth Matney
      >
      > At 01:18 PM 8/2/2006, Ranulf wrote:
      >
      >> Charavine = name of the locale where it was found. The local tourist
      >> website says: "At Colletière, on the D50 from Charavines to Bilieu, there
      >> is an extremely interesting underwater archaeological site dating back to
      >> neolithic times (2700 BC) and the Middle Ages". An underwater site would
      >> explain the preservation of the wood.
      >>
      >> 1 half XI = 1st half of the 11th Century - pretty standard European notation
      >>
      >> The site for the excavations is here:
      >> http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/charavines/en/index.htm
      >>
      >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
      >>
      >> Ranulf
    • Gary R. Halstead
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
        I'm guessing the sole is hollow (didn't realize the picture was
        clickable). Did you notice they said plane*s*, but no saws, hmmm. I
        wonder what else they found.

        Ranulf

        AlbionWood wrote:
        > Ranulf,
        >> And I'm going to do a major happy dance because there's a picture of a plane!
        >>

        > Why do you suppose it says "... to make tools' handles" in the caption?
        > Maybe the sole is hollow? Or just speculation...
        >
        > It is nice to see such a well-preserved plane from that time period.
        > And to see that it looks very much like certain modern planes, with that
        > crosspin for the wedge.
        >
        > Love the carved saddle-bows, too.
        >
        > Colin
      • Robb Schuster
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
          Les Habitats du lac de Paladru (Isère) dans leur environnement : la
          formation d'un terroir au XIe siècle / sous la direction de Michel
          Colardelle et Eric Verdel ; préface de Christian Goudineau ; postface de
          Robert Fossier.

          --Its a pretty interesting book but not so easy to find
          Even via ILL I had to wait sometime to get a copy.
          The good news is that about the last 20 pages or so of it is an english translastion
          The bad news is they use 20 pages to sum up 300+ pages of French:(

          Halv

          On 8/2/06, Gary R. Halstead <ghalstead@...> wrote:

[...]

          archaeology are amazing! 416p with 278 figs &amp; 4 col plates.

          --
          Halv

          Never mistake the stary look in a huscarl's eye as reverance for a white belt...look to the beer in the chiv's hand.
        • Beth and Bob Matney
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2006
            Thank you VERY much!

            I'll track down copies of the books.